Calif. Trailer Laws/Requirements

Looking for some help in navigating any specific special laws for towing a car hauling trailer in Calif. as it applies to the following:

• Non-resident of Calif.
  • Vehicle(s) not registered in Calif.
  • Will be traveling to Calif. for car show.
  • Private not for hire truck and tailer.
  • 1 Ton Dually pickup towing an enclosed car hauler.
  • Trailer is a gooseneck 36 ft. long.

Main question(s) are:

• Any specific drivers license requirements?
  • Any special inspections requirements for truck or trailer?
  • What about weigh stations: Required to stop at these?

Any help or directing to web sites w/Calif. requirements would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Bob

Guest 1hooligan

Hi Bob, I have trailered several autos into and out of the communist state of California. No special license required, other than current license in your state. No you do not need to stop at weigh stations. Now things that you should be careful of:

Make sure all lights work, including a license plate light on trailer. Make sure brake and turn signal lights all work for sure before you enter state. Just in case have proof of ownership on your treasure, and then stay within 5 miles an hour of the speed limit, below or above.

No inspection requirements as to trailer. Where are you coming from and on which route?

Oh, at lease three tie downs, and a bolted safety chain are required. Be sure to recheck every 100 to 150 miles for tightness for safety. Pat

• 2 weeks later...
Guest 38cadillacjack

bob ,i just went through nevada tocal.they stopped me in nevada .said i need class a cdl had 35 ft goosenec flat bed empty ,went to pickup 2 cars ,i left the trailer ,had cars transported .ca did not stop me just lucky there 38cadillacjack

Guest 1hooligan

Bob, one thing to think about. CadillacJack I am sure had a trailer with three or more axles and a high gross carrying weight. My response was for a single car trailer either bumper or goose neck. a CDL may be required for a two or more car trailer.

Thanks for the feedback 38cadillacjack...

The trailer we will be pulling is a single car, two (2) axle trailer.

Looking to get all the feedback I can.

Don't want to enter into negotiations about contributing to the CHP benevolent fund on the side of the Hwy. in CA...

Also, again clarifying, this is not a "for hire" transport. Will be transporting a car in a privately owned and registered truck/trailer to a show in CA.

Thanks,

Bob

Guest 38cadillacjack

hey guys,i was also not for hire,bought 2 cars in cal. officer gave me a print out that says if your vehicles in combo have a gcwr over 26000,or the towing a trailer over 10000 lbgvwryou must have class a cdl.checked with my state [or] looks like federal law. those weights are rated weight ,means loaded or not.so just be aware as they all need money so they really watch.be safe