Winter Tour in Belgium

jeff_a

If you would like to see the following cars on a mid-winter tour held about 6 weeks ago, and called the "RVCCB Fagnes Hivernales" (translates to "The Lowlands, or Fens, In Winter"), please click on the highlighted area:

• 1904 Brasier
  • 1907 Lorraine-Dietrich
  • 1910 Cadillac
  • 1911 FN
  • 1920 Model T Ford
  • 1921 Packard
  • 1928 Model A Ford
  • 1929 Chevrolet
  • 1929 Packard
  • 1929 Buick
  • 1920's Bentleys, Bugattis, Lagondas, etc.

RVCCB FAGNES 2010

This site has about 80 excellent photos of a tour conducted every year by the Royal Veteran Car Club of Belgium. Forum member "PeerlessBelgium" is both an RVCCB and Peerless Motor Car Club member and participates in some of the RVCCB tours and car shows "across the pond". He has a link to the RVCCB on one of his posts --- but I thought I would simplify things by moving the link up here from the Peerless Forum.

Of particular note is the quality of the cars and the quantity of the snow....the most they've had in at least 40 years over there. All of the cars are open, 1904-1944 vehicles, and most of them are running with the tops down.

[note: I originally translated "fagnes" or "fen" to mean uplands, but I believe fagnes is French for "low country" and "fen" is Old English for "low, marshy area".]

Edited by jeff_a (see edit history)

Jeff,

Thanks for sharing with us. As the looks of it you all had fun, a great turn out and are not afraid to take your cars out in the snow. Guess it is the old saying for you all "Cars a meant to be driven not just sitting around collecting dust :)

Do they use salt on the roads in your neck of the woods?

Edited by Packin31 (see edit history)

Tom and Don,

Thanks for the nice comments. I thought #74, the picture of the 1925 Bentley going around a curve, was nice.

Wayne Burgess put some photos of the 2008 version of this tour on the Forum a couple of years ago. There's someone in Photo #55 in this set that even looks a little bit like him. It's someone riding in the back of the '22 Packard Touring Car. Must be someone else...I didn't think he was a Packard man!

Edited by jeff_a (see edit history)

• 1 month later...

Great Photos. Thank you very much.

My father had a Calcott very similar to the one in the photos, just a bit different in the bonnet (hood) area.

Unfortunately no photos of Metallurgiques even though they were built in Belgium.

David

1931 Rolls Royce Phantom Continental

1923 Metallurgique

David,

I'm glad you were able to spot a Calcott on the Feb., 2010 tour. If you go to the link once more and hit "Nouvelles", you'll be able to look at a ton of other tours, mostly in Belgium. Maybe you'll find a picture of a Metallurgiques!

Philippe Mordant tells me that he was on a tour with his 1927 Peerless that had 22 Bugattis in it: one of the Circuit des Ardennes.

Hello Jeff

Great photographs. We have been on several European tours but never in the Winter. I can really recommend them to anyone interested in Driving their Vintage or Veteran car in company with like minded people. Shipping your car from the US should be no more difficult than shipping from Australia. Hagerty's (UK) will look after your insurance for the UK and Europe including break down and recovery. We have never had to use it in 6 visits with our 1934 Lagonda Rapier but it is comforting to know that it is available.

Bernie J.