1928 Stutz BB Speedster

Guest RAHinze

Guest RAHinze

Good day to all.

Firstly, please note I am both new to this forum as well as the world of Stutz cars, so please keep this in mind if I were to make any errors.

As an avid collector of WW2 military vehicles, I have recently got the urge to purchase a pre war vehicle and whilst scouring Ebay's classic car sections, I have come across an auction for a 1928 Stutz BB Speedster which has totally captivated me and I am now seriously interested in purchasing it. Being a novice when it comes to the world of exotic pre war vehilces, I do not know what the actual value of this vehicle is and whether it is being advertised at an inflated price, especially given that it is (or formerly was) celebrity owned.

The car is priced in the $165K range, has Robbins coachwork (which could have been redone) and was the 1988 AACA National First Prize winner. Further details and photos of the vehicle and question can be seen on Ebay or by following this link: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Alan-Jacksons-1928-Stutz-BB-Speedster-

AACA-Winner_W0QQitemZ330410111708QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUS_Cars_Trucks?hash=item4cedfa32dc

Any advice anyone may have would be truly appreciated.

Regards,

Rudi

Here is the ebay link.

It's a dealer and they have been advertising it for a while so it's probably priced on the high side.

My advice would be to start with a less expensive car of the same era, Stutz or otherwise and see how you like it. 150k plus on your first car is probably not a good idea. I'm a big believer in wading into the water gently as opposed to going off the high board right off.

Guest RAHinze

Thanks for the sage advice, I truly appreciate it and will take it into consideration before making a final decision.

To be quite frank I am fortunate to be unfazed by the price, as long as it is value for money and worth my while to keep such a vehicle. But then again, it would be prudent to start with a vehicle which requires a lesser monetary commitment. Hence my dilemma...

With regards to the authenticity of the vehicle, I had thought that being a former National NCAA first prize winner the car had to be pretty much legit otherwise it would not win. Again, since I am new to this era of vehicles, I may be mistaken.

Anew, thanks to all for the input.

• 2 weeks later...

I have no idea wether it is a good value or not, but I got a chance to see the car a few years ago, while it was at the Auburn Cord Duesenberg museum. It is really a fabulous car, and being and older CCCA 1st prize, I would guess it is both a real speedster, and also in great original condition.

My two cents.

Victor

Hi, I have been watching this car on EBay. I am suprised it hasn't sold yet. I am assuming it is a real speedster { and would want to have it verified by a Stutz expert} but it seems like a truly outstanding car. It is obviously overpriced for today's market realities, or it would have sold by now. The celebrity ownership is of little importance. It would be interesting to know who owned it when new. These cars were as special when new as they are now. Like most any classic restoration or even maintenance can be very expensive, so unfortunately ownership is reserved for the privileged few. A very nice one sold on EBay several months ago, for quite a bit less than this one. I believe it was around $130,000.00 and sold quickly. Light tan colour and in the Washington state area if my memory is correct.

All the best Greg in Canada ...Mortgage-Wife -Kid therefore no Stutz

I agree with the previous advice, and would like to throw in my two cents:

1. Buy the car because you like it, not because it is a good investment.

2. If possible, before purchasing a certain marque, join a club specializing in that marque. You will get lots of good, free advice. In addition, the cars sold between members tend to be of a much higher quality than you would find outside the club.

3. If you really want the eBay speedster, go look at it and pay a Stutz expert to go along with you. It will be the best money you ever spent.

4. Before falling in love with the car, drive it. It may not be what you wanted.

5. After you buy the car, be prepared to spend some extra money on it.

Good luck, and let us know what happens.

When I saw the car at the Auburn Cord Duesenberg museum, I though I read that the car was once Frank Lockhart's. The story apparently is that the car was built for him but since he died in that fatal accident, he never took delivery of it, and the company retained the car till 1935. I just found a pic of the note here:

1928 Stutz Black Hawk Speedster - Pictures of Cars

I think it is a gorgeous car. Having a 1928 myself and knowing just a little about them and far from being and expert, I remember when I saw it that the car was very complete and correct. Not any details that I could find on it. The museum curator was kind enough to allow me to crawl under it, open hood, etc., to take pics that will help me when I restore my car. Very nice guy... I took about an hour of his time and he was there all the time helping me!

Victor

• 2 weeks later...

If a dealer is selling a Classic car, it's almost assuredly overpriced--and by a long shot. Sorry to say that, but I had been searching for a year for an interesting pre-war car and found that to be the case in far too many instances.

The person from whom you buy the car is almost as important as the car itself.