I want my car transported! Help!!!

Guest bofusmosby

Guest bofusmosby

I am really overwhelmed by the generosity of others. Many of you have expressed an interest in helping me out with a lot of great ideas. Marty (a fellow member) passed my contact info to some people who live in my area, and I was contacted by a guy named Dan. He seems to be a super nice guy. He is also a body shop man, so I now know where to have my car worked on for body-work. Well, he informed me that he knows a guy who has done quite a bit of work for him, and also that this same guy is going to be delivering a car out in Col. Well, he gave me this guys number (his name is Rob) and he says that he MIGHT be able to work out something in an enclosed carrier if he can work out a route to haul other things (motorcycles) at the same time. He is not sure, but he is trying to work out something. I also have a driver who said that he could pick my car up next week, but it would be an open carrier. Not sure about that though. It would be cheaper, but the enclosed carrier definately would be the way to go. It looks like things are finally starting to look better for getting my baby home! I also have some other leads that were given to me by other members here on this site, so if these don't work out, then thanks to you guys, I still have options.

As you already know, I am new to this hobby, and it is refreshing to see so many people out there wanting to help out. I just hope that some day, I can return the favor to each and every one of you. I'll keep everyone posted on any updates, and again, I thank you!

Jim

I have not read thru all of the posts here, but for the money you have been quoted, you could buy your own trailer, then all you need is a truck and at your convenience go get the car yourself. I am sort of semi retired (not by choice) and I calculated taking my truck and trailer and going to get it, but it is not cost effective. Even at .25 a mile and what my truck uses I would most likely be dipping into my own money to finish the trip. If it were not for that I would have considered it.

Guest bofusmosby

AlK

Thank you so much for even considering doing it. You see, this is what i am talking about. I am just overwhelmed by it all. I should have gotten into the "old car thing" many many years ago. It is so refreshing to see that there are still people out there who would like to help. I know what you mean, the cost of such a trip with just the gas and expenses would be pretty high. Thats not even counting the time, or the wear and tear of the vehiles. I am honored to be among you. Trulyvintage opened my eyes about the research I SHOULD have done. Many others also knew this as well.

This experience has been a 2-sided coin. On the one side, I have been a nervous wreck about the whole thing. Finding out that there are a lot of people who just can't be trusted (the brokers I have delt with). BUT, on the other side, it has been the exact opposite. Great people, willing to lend either a helping hand, or sound advice when it is truly needed.

My latest update is I will be having my car transported with an enclosed trailer, and my car will be picked up within 1 to 2 weeks. The owner/driver is charging me what it would take from others with an open carrier. Again, un-deserved kindness. I am just tickled to death!! When it arrives, I'll have to post some photos of me and my new (old) car!

• 2 weeks later...
Guest bofusmosby

Yes on the update! Sometime between now and the first of April, my car will be picked up and shipped in an enclosed trailer at about the same price that the open transport brokers were telling me. This is because of some our members here who put the word out, and located someone who was going to be in that general area (within 800 miles). I will be sure and post here once the car arrives. I'd like to throw a party and invite all the members here, but realistically, after the car purchase and the shipping, I am afraid I will be tapped out for a bit.

I want to thank everyone who shopwed concern for my plight. Also to to Trulyvintage for opening my eyes to the "real world". :D

You should be able to get your haul for around 1000. but you might wait a couple of months in the process....

From experience, make sure YOU have insurance on the car, before it is hauled. I had a car burn up in transit and the broker and hauler both welched on me. Expensive lesson to learn. Both stated they were insured for 300k. Bullsh__!

• 3 weeks later...
Guest bofusmosby

Well, here's an update. I finally got word that my car was picked up this evening, and I should be getting my baby hopefully next Sunday.:)

I'll be sure and post some photos when it arrives. It is because of our members here that the shipping was arranged. I want to thank everyone for their support!

Jim,

Good luck with the transport as well as with the "new" car.

Did you have contact with any of the folks in the Tampa bay area?

We would like to have you as a new member of AACA

Guest bofusmosby

Yes Marty, I spoke to a few people. One group had their meetings on Saturday mornings (I work every Saturday), and a ways away. I can't remember if it was you that sent me an email, but it was either you, or someone else that sent me a phone number, so I could call and join the national group. I seemed to have misplaced that number. You don't by any chance have it do you? I'd like to go ahead and pay my dues, so I'll be an official member.

Guest 55NASH

I need a 57 Nash Ambassador parts car [rolling chassis] transported from Ontario Ca to Rochester Pa or any place close, [open or closed]. Lots of help available for loading and unloading. Thanks, 55Nash.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest bofusmosby

Truelyvintage

Naw, the car should be delivered hopefully on Tuesday. It was picked up a couple of weeks ago, and the driver had to delay the delivery on account of a funeral. Its an enclosed carrier, so I believe all will be well. Once the car is delivered, I am going to "slam" all of the auto brokers that promised the moon and couldn't deliver. It may not help me out, but if it saves one person from going through what I had to go through, then it will be worth it. All of their estimates were nothing but low-ball estimates, just trying to hook me in. Fortunately, I never gave any of them my credit card number, so money-wise, it didn't cost me anything. I appreciate you opening my eyes to the truth.

Guest Roy_Marks

There is a man in Minnisota in Hemmings who hauls reasonably. There are others there and in Old Cars Weekly. Or you can rent a Uhaul up there for a week at $569 and pull it yourself. I'm in Dade City just north of you and have Hudsons and International trucks. mrmdcf@msn.com

Roy

Guest bofusmosby

Pleased to meet you Roy. I had thought about hauling it myself, but the amount of money I would have lost from missing work would have been too much, compared to what it is costing me. Don't get me wrong, I really don't make that much money, but when I figured out plane fare (or gas money to get there), model, food, gas, and then missing work for over a week just wasn't a feasable option. With any luck, my car should be here on Tuesday....I hope.

This is my first old car, so I am a bit excited, like a kid at Christmas time. I guess I can check off another thing on my list of "things I do before I die". :D

Guest bofusmosby

Well, my baby finally arived!!!!! She came home about 9:00 pm, and needless to say, I didn't get much sleep that night.:D The battery was bad, so I got a new battery, and she started right up! The wait was well worth it. Thank you to all who assisted in the transportation. Everyone here is great! Today is a great day!

I'll start a new thread soon with photos, and a description of what still needs to be done.

Great News!!!

Nice to see all the stress of the wait done for you...I think every one here has experienced "The Wait" at some point. Buying from a picture and a story can be difficult enough but going through all the trials you did makes all the more stressful.

Very happy to see you get your new ride and yes...looking froward to the pics!

Jim:

I just learned that a friend of a friend delivered your car. This was on a return trip from delivering his Trans Am from Tampa to Colorado. Glad to hear this arrangement worked out for you. Good luck with your car.

If your looking for an event to go to tomorrow (May 1), there is a car show in old Palm Harbor that is expecting several hundred cars. I plan to be there.

Also, mark your calendar for Oct 16, the Lake Mirror Classic in Lakeland. One of the best shows in our area.

Enjoy your new car.

Kevin

• 5 years later...
Guest Williampeet

An updation after some days....

Here are some ideas of transporting your vehicle...I recommend to surf for the best transport companies from others experience. Ask recommendation friends. Make sure your vehicle is ready for shipping. Authorisation of the company is important to check.