I want my car transported! Help!!!

Guest bofusmosby

Guest bofusmosby

Greetings all. I recently pruchased a 1937 Pontiac 4-door sedan, and am having a problem finding a transporter at a reasonable price. I need the car picked up from Helena Montana, and delivered to Tampa Florida. The company I went with quoted a pretty good price, so I am wondering if this may have a lot to do with not finding a driver for the job. The car runs and drives, and I was wanting an open carrier transport because of the price. Yes, the bad economy helps determine what I can afford. Below is the email I got from the company I hired, so read it for yourself, and see what you think.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"I have had no luck getting a carrier on your load. I have even go so far as increasing the carrier pay to a higher rate than the tariff I quoted you to simply see if rate was an issue and still no response from drivers.

It quite honestly baffles me that no one wants this load. The older model cars are always hard to pickup, but never this hard. I am able to look at the load board to see what the carrier rates on the last few loads from MT to FL were and every one of them was about 30 cents per mile. I have yours well over that right now.

I will continue to try and find a driver, but should you choose to try another company I do understand. At this point I just want it picked up and it doesn't matter to me if we profit anything.."

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It has now been over 3 weeks, and still they can not find a driver willing to pick this car up. The guy who sold me the car is itching for the car to get out of his garage to make room for his jeep. I already have the title, the bill of sale, various parts I have already obtained, all this except for one thing....the car!

Any suggestions?

THank you for any and all opinions on this.

Bofus

I have used MINUTEMAN Transport a number of times and have been happy with them. What I like about them is that I live in Sebring, FL and so does one of their regular drivers. I used to use PASSPORT and they were great too. PASSPORT is now FEDEX and they'll haul a car from anywhere to anywhere. Just look in Hemmings and start calling around. I've gotten good prices in the past from EXOTIC but haven't used them because I'm experienced with MINUTEMAN.

Guest bofusmosby

Thank you for the info Dynaflash8. However, by checking on them, they seems to only have enclosed carriers. The expense would be too much for me to handle. I got a quote of over $2000 from Fedex transport. This is more than twice the amount that I have gotten quotes on for open carriers. Granted, and enclosed carrier would be great, but for me, the economy dictates open carrier. I will give Minuteman a call this morning to get a quote, and see if they do any "open carrier" transporting. If they are anything like Fedex, they'll be way above the amount I can pay.

I don't think Minuteman does open hauling, but you can check. Cross country on an open trailer is really going to be nasty to your car. Try Scarecrow Auto Transfer out of Indianapolis, IN at 740-531-0048. I don't know if he will go that far, but he hauls one car on a rollback, and pulls and enclosed trailer with a second car. I wasn't the one who hired him, but he brought me a car from North Carolina and it got here safely. He has a Federa MC number and is bonded. And his card says "Nationwide Auto Shippers". His price was good, but I like the big trucks the best, especially in winter, so on my next car I chose Minuteman because of my past experience with George and Lanny and the big tractor trailer truck. It's winter up north with lots of snow.

Make ABSOLUTELY sure you know who you are dealing with and that you have all the info you need. There are many good haulers out there with open trailers but there are also horror stories. Real horror stories and you can find out about some of them doing a search on this site.

Car Haulers like Reliable. Fed-Ex, etc are a bot more expensive for sure but the cost of haing your car damaged or vandalized in an open trailer may not be worth the price! Get references, make sure you know that the car is coming directly to you and not sitting somewhere for weeks, etc. Good luck

This company sounds like a broker who contracts with independent drivers. My personal opinion is you are better off dealing directly with the individual or company who will be actually transporting the car.

One of the problems is the winters in the north can really get nasty with snow & ice. The driver will be driving through MT, WY, SD NE, IA, MO, KY & TN. Everyone of these states can have nasty storms into April. If you can wait till the middle of April, you should find a driver.

I know of someone who moved a car from Columbus OH to Seattle WA. They wound up getting a rental truck and driving it themselves. They used a local towing company with a roll back to move the car in and out of the truck. I am not sure the national truck rental company was aware of the cargo but the car was braced and didn't move on the trip.

Ten years ago I purchased a car 250 miles away. To get it home, I rented the smallest truck that could haul an open car trailer. I placed the car on the trailer, the rental and gas cost was just a little higher than quotes I had received. My wife drove our car home and we had the time.

U-haul has a list of cars that can be hauled on a trailer and most old cars are not on the list. With some explanation and negotiation, they will let you rent the unit.

Based on the information provided:

Helena, MT to Tampa, FL is over 2500 miles minimum:

@ Driving Directions from Helena, Montana to Tampa, Florida

The WOST winter in over 30 years .....

Expecting to pay 25 cents a mile or LESS for transport ...

Guest bofusmosby

Thanks guys fior your replies. You make a newbee feel right at home. I understand about the price being low, but keep this in mind. I am new to all of this. Never had a car transported, and at this rate may never do it again. I sent out requests all over for estimates on hauling this car, and I took it for granted that they would be quoting me legit prices. I got estimates from one extreme to the other. Some as low as $700, and some over $2,000. I agree that an open carrier is NOT the way to go, but I'm working on a shoe-string budget as it is. Because of the price, I really don't have any choice. We can't always afford steak and lobster all the time.:D

I just found out that my daughter who lives in Jacksonville and her husband who works on motorcycles is working on somes bike that is a car hauler. Also, she said that he goes through Helena Mt. This is what the wife said. There could be something lost in the translation, so I'm not going to get my hopes up until she calls and talks to me.

I found that a driver made an offer to pick up the car for $1,500. This sounds a bit steep for an open carrier. I'll let you know what happens. Again, I thank you for your responses to my delima.

Guest bofusmosby

Yea Larry, I hear where you are coming from. I was thinking that the hauler would be carrying maybe 6-8 cars at a time. Of course, the miles per gallon would not be at 10, but even a smaller number divided by 6 or 8 vehicles would bring the price down a bit for the gas. Well, this is what I was hoping for. Like I said before, all of this is totally new to me. When these companies gave me shipping quotes, my mistake was to believe them. Live and learn I guess. In time, there HAS to be someone who is going through the area with an empty space just waiting for my car.

Bofus

Bofus,

I sold one of my cars right after driving it on The AACA Founders Tour in Vermont. I left it in Central Pennsylvania so that the buyer could arrange easier pickup by his carrier, rather than from my home in New Orleans to his place in Oregon.

Turns out that he was working through a Broker who would contract out to multiple small-time carriers with 2-, and 3-car open haulers behind a 1-ton pickup. Probably decent guys for the most part, and I've met several who are OK.

Well, the friend who agreed to hold my car, knowing it would be a week or so, was inconvenienced because it took almost 3 months for pickup, and this was in June, not wintertime. The car was going to Oregon, and apparently was left in 3 or 4 separate brokerage holding lots along the way, and turned over to at least that many different driver/operator/transporters -- picture a red '63 Impala convertible with a brand-new white convertible top - never left outside - now subject to storage lots, open transport by guys who normally haul Toyotas, Hyundais, and similar stuff.

When the buyer finally got the car, he called me to complain that trying to drive it home from the city where he had to go to claim it from the transporter, it wouldn't drive straight. Remember, I had, prior to the sale, just driven it without problem, on tour. I asked him to take a look at the steering, tie-rods, etc.

He called back, and I think he has embarrassed to report that it looked like one or more of the transporters, in their lack of knowledge, and lack of appreciation for cars of this era, had winched it down by by the the left- and right-side tie-rods.

No wonder the formerly-sweet-driving Impala was not tracking straight down the road.

It is even more fortunate that the improperly tied-down car didn'y come off the open trailer and destroy the car, and possibly some innocent individuals.

Sometimes ya just gets what ya pays for.

Good luck with your transport, as well as with your "new" car, and welcome to the AACA site.

Guest bofusmosby

Thank you for the reply Marty. Geez, what a horror story! Well, I have been known to make mistakes in my life, but it usually only happens once. I learn quickly from them. I am hoping my daughter and son-in-laws friend materializes, and he picks the car up. I can get the car from Jacksonville to Tampa myself. I tell you, its a real *itch having to survive on a poor mans budget. I guess I am just going to have to hope (and pray) for the best. I've already got a number of parts for the car, including several windows, and if I can't get the car soon, I might start building me one with all the parts I've got. :D

When (if) it arrives, I'll be sure and post some photos of it.

Thanks again for you input, and making me feel welcome to the forum! I really appreciate that.

Jim (AKA Bofus)

BTW, GREAT looking car!

Edited by bofusmosby
addition (see edit history)

Guest Wayne_Koffel

It is unfortunate that you didn't look into transportation before you bought. Speaking as someone who periodically does hauling, your options will be limited. Getting a car hauler to do this now is unrealistic. The weather is bad and an open trailer would be devastating to you cars paint. One of my customers had a car shipped in on an open trailer several years ago from Colorado. It looked like the front was sandblasted as the paint was old yet original.

Larry is correct , as any hauler needs to make a profit. The downside to Larry's $2.50 a gallon is that as the weather warms up the gas prices and motel prices go up. My advice to you is pay the guy to store the car till May and then either go get it yourself or hope you can get a fellow AACA member to bring it as a back haul for cost only.

Wayne Koffel

Guest bofusmosby

Yes Wayne, I have learned quite a bit since I got the car. I did look into the shipping aspect, and my mistake was to believe what I read. I must admit, I have to claim ignorance big time on this one. I bought the car on Ebay, and they had a tab on the page about the price of shipping.

If you get a chance, check out the link to the ebay page of the car I won. Let me know what you think. Good deal??? Bad deal??? I would be interested in hearing what you think. Here is the link:

Pontiac : 4 door : eBay Motors (item 260542504633 end time Jan-26-10 21:11:40 PST)

Well, I guess I have to figure it'l be some time before I get my car. Maybe someone "upstairs" will smile on me, open some doors, and bring my baby home.:)

Guest bofusmosby

Well, here's an update on the shipping troubles of my car. I called the shipping company (really the broker), and told him since it has been over 3 weeks, and had no success, he was fired! His original estim,ate was $850 (open carrier), but he went up another $100 to see if a driver would take it. Well, I spoke to another broker last night, and he told me that the going rate for this shipping location was in the $1350 price range. Geez, what to do. I also listed the car on the Uship web page, so I could contact the actual drivers. Well, I got one offer so far (with a covered carrier) of $2300!. I also got a question from another driver wanting to know about the dates, as well as my price range. I told him in the $900 to $1200 price range. I guess that turned him off, because he never responded to my answers.

I am getting close to the end of my rope. I bought this car in the end of January, and still, no one wants to do the job. What do you guys think? Anyone got any ideas? BTW, I did speak to an owner/operator a few days ago, and he told me he would do it as 1 car on a flat-bed recker truck for $1200, but his schedule was full up until June.

I would appreciate any and all ideas on this one. I wouldn't want to drive the car 2500 miles to get it home, and I would hate to have to move up there.:confused:

My post will probably get deleted .... :rolleyes:

No sympathy here - you did not do your homework

You bought something without budgeting for transport

I have helped out guys on other forums who have gotten

'the screw' by unscrupulous brokers or have been left

hanging by con artists .....

In this case - you have to pay to transport a car

you bought - just like everyone else who buys a car

If you can't afford to transport it - sell it where it is

Jim

Guest bofusmosby

Jim

I feel you are being a bit more hostile than you need to be. Here's the facts, and you judge for yourself. I have always been a man of my word. I live by my word. I will cut my own throat, if telling the truth does this. I will NEVER lie! I will NEVER cheat someone, and I will NEVER deceive someone. I pride myself on my own character. That is the way I was raised. I will NEVER compromise the person I am for any amount of money. There, that is enough about the type of person I am....PERIOD!!

Before I bought the car, I DID do some research on the shipping. My mistake was believing what these brokers were telling me! Was it my fault? Well, my only fault was ingnorance on how these guys run their business. I am a man of my word, and I also expect others to be men of their words too. I had more than enough money to cover the additional shipping, but when I got some lower estimates, I realized that I would have some money left over to buy some needed parts, so when the car arrived, the parts would already be here waiting. Again, I assumed that these "brokers" were telling me the truth! The estimates ranged from the $700 to $1400 price range. I did not go with the lowest offer/estimate. I did not go with the highest either.

I already stated that THIS is my first old car, and this was the first time that I have ever looked into the shipping aspect. However, for you to come down on me because YOU are a driver (I am assuming this), and demand more money, well......its the brokers you should be angry with. NOT ME!! I don't expect, or for that matter want you to feel sorry for me in the least. I do not like arrogance in any way, shape or form. You Jim come off as being arrogant.

I am one of the nicest guys you would ever meet, but I have no problem with standing up for myself when necessary.

To the rest of you, if you have any ideas, I would appreciate hearing them.

Thanks a lot guys!

Jim (AKA bofusmosby)

Trulyvintage, as I understand what I have read, this is one of those cases where either an Unscrupulous or incompetent broker has caused or at least contributed to his problem.

Jim, as I see it, you have four choices...

1. Figure out how to come up with the cash for a legitimate hauler's normal fee,

2. Rent a pickup truck or SUV (assuming you don't own one), Take some time off of work, rent a Uhaul trailer, and go get it.

3. Dust off your AAA Card (or get one) and go get it and drive it home, or

4. Take Trulyvintage's advice and sell it where it is.

I would not suggest option 4. As for 1, 2, or 3, only you can decide what you feel is your best choice.

Good luck with it.

Guest bofusmosby

Matthew

I couldn't agree with you more, however, I am still not aware what the going rate would be for this shipment. Every time I think I am getting in touch with a shipping company, it turns out to be another broker. I have found that a broker will say anything it takes to get your business, reguardless it being the truth or not. Still, no one has told me what the going rate is for this. The only owner/operater I have spoke to said he could do it for $1200, but it would be a couple of months before he could do it. I was contacted by another broker today, and he assured me he could get a driver in the $1300 range within a week to 10 days. Am i to believe this guy? I have the money for this, but I just don't want to waist any more time, only to have the guy tell me "well, if you increase it by $300 it'l ship".

Do you happen to know what the average rate for this shipment should be? That is the problem, no one is telling me. I am only being told prices by the brokers. I hope you can understand my frustrations. BTW, #4 is not an option. No way.

I can see Trulyvintages viewpoint as well. However, he IS in the business. He knows whats going on. That doesn't mean that everyone knows what he knows. I do not. I am just getting into this hobby. If these brokers are undercutting the drivers by quite a bit, that is not my fault. THEY are the ones who are not being honest and straightforward. If I was told that the shipment would be $1200, $1500, or $1800, then I could have planned accordingly. The brokers are giving out the low bids to get customers. If all of the brokers are doing the same, then who, or rather what figure am I to believe?

bofusmosby,

Your very first post - your very first sentence reads:

" Greetings all. I recently pruchased a 1937 Pontiac 4-door sedan, and am having a problem finding a transporter at a reasonable price. "

Your statements:

" The estimates ranged from the $700 to $1400 price range. I did not go with the lowest offer/estimate. I did not go with the highest either. "

" His original estim,ate was $850 (open carrier), but he went up another $100 to see if a driver would take it. "

" I also got a question from another driver wanting to know about the dates, as well as my price range. I told him in the $900 to $1200 price range. I guess that turned him off, because he never responded to my answers.

Your statement indicate you DO have an informed opinion of what

you consider a reasonable price to be ......

You CONTRACTED for a 2500 mile haul for $850.

You bought this car on January 26th on a 'Buy it Now' ebay auction.

It is clearly the worst winter in more than 30 years.

Someone does not have to be in the business to realize that expecting

to have a vehicle hauled for 30 cents a mile is not realistic.

That does not make me arrogant - that makes me realistic.

Clearly your definition of reasonable price does not meet the definition

of the majority of other people.

Jim

As a someone with many similarities as you bofusmosby I can understand the "sticker shock" as it pertains to the cost of haulage.

I am new in all this as well and when I did my shipping research on buying a car in the lower "rust free" states I was shocked at the range of prices. I was looking to ship to Ottawa Canada and got from $900 to $3000. This was a strong indication that I needed to learn about this car carrier business. I must have called over ten companies and pumped them with questions, the more I asked the more questions I had for the next guy. What gave me the most info was the brokerage company that I was required to use to import the car to Canada. The guy I talked to there spent about 30 mins discussing the car carrier business and that there are many carriers that they just won't get involved with.

So all that being said.....I ended up paying $2,500 for Mackie Transport, an enclosed carrier that took care of everything and was door to door. The car I bought was only 5k but I quickly learned that these are toys we are talking about and if I wanted a that special car I would have to bite the bullet and pay what amounts to be half the price of the car for shipping.

I think what you are hearing from the likes of Trulyvintage is that regardless of who told you what it would cost you now know what it truly costs. It does suck that you were mislead but the reality is you are not going to get that car shipped for that price any time soon.

I wish you good luck...

Guest bofusmosby

Jim

When I stated a "reasonable" price, I was assuming that the various estimates I got were all in the ball-park. The higher estimates I got were for enclosed carriers. Because of the price, I chose an open carrier. I also was assuming that the prices that I had gotten from the brokers were in line with what "should" be paid. Yea, its been a real eye opener.

Let me ask you a question Jim. Since you are a driver, I know that you know what the going rates are. I was contacted by yes, another broker and he told be he could have my car shipped for $1350, and that he would be able to find a driver within 5-10 days. This would be an open transport. Is this a realistic price? OR, is it still too low? Thats $500 above what the other broker quoted. This price is also upper midrange of all the quotes I was originally quoted for an open transport before I bought the car. BTW, the knowedge you have does NOT make you arrogant, no, not at all. That comes to play by the way you attacked me. If I was mistaken, then I do apologize.

Bob, yes, I have been learning more and more SINCE I went with a broker. That doesn't mean that they are all bad, but the one I chose first I see now that there was no realistic expectation on having a driver pick up the load. Thats what I get for believing what a person tells me. It truely has been a "thrill-a-minute" for me and my nerves. Live and learn I guess. The problem is, I STILL haven't gotten a realistic price for hauling my car with an open transport. All of the higher ones is for an enclosed transport, not an open one.

Jim

bofusmosby,

I have not attacked you ;)

I have challenged your defintion of reasonable transport :confused:

Since you are asking my advice .....

Do not transport your car during the winter months on an open trailer

Wait until May at the earliest for open transport

The road conditions are such that unless you are planning to repaint

the car, you will cause considerable harm to the paint from salt, sand,

cinders, other seasonal road debris

Do not deal with a Broker

By definition, a broker promises to facilitate transport in exchange

for a credit card deposit

Contract transport directly with an individual who will be hauling

Arrange for your vehicle to be loaded - come directly to you

No offloading - no transfers

Be realistic in both timeframe and cost ;)

Helena, Montana is not exactly a transport hub

Few deliveries are made to that area - fewer still in Winter

That means a connecting load necessary to facilitate transport

of your vehicle may take months to arrange

Your timeframe and transport budget are both self imposed

As eloquently explained in the post above by stealthbob:

HOMEWORK should be done before purchase is facilitated

Jim

Well bofusmosby has repeated he thought he did his homework by checking a broker. That was a mistake he has learned I'm sure...

I guess you got a little caught up in the whole purchase and did rush it a little bofusmosby, lesson learned I guess.

This board has a wealth of knowledge and will always be here to offer sage advice gained from the collected mistakes of the past so believe what you are being told here.

Trulyvintage mentioned some of the main issues you are up against and why you are having problem getting a "reasonable" price. That term is relative of course and with the knowledge gained maybe you can understand now why it will cost so much.

Think of it this way....how much will a repaint cost? All that snow/salt/water and grime that may get on and into the car. The chances of vandalism or theft of some "unobtainium" part while it sits in a lot somewhere. Also the real scary chance of some unscrupulous "Broker" who ditched out of paying the last guy to haul your car and having to pay a ransom to that last hauler to get your car back.

Once I considered all these possibilities a door to door covered carrier made all the sense in the world. More expensive yes....but it was money well spent when she arrived just as she left. ;)

Here is a pic just moments before she was unloaded...looks cozy in there eh?

post-62521-143138182207_thumb.jpg

Edited by stealthbob (see edit history)

bofusmosby,

If I were you, I would pick up a Hemmings Motor News, turn to the Services offered section and read the ads for Transport. Before you choose a company, however, I would do a Google search on the company name and make sure you don't find any horror stories about them that way. Call a few of those advertisers who pass this initial test and get quotes and go with one that sounds reputable and reasonable. If they have been advertising for a substantial time in Hemmings without major complaints to Hemmings, they are probably more likely to be someone that you can trust.

My advice is to clear your head a bit first and try to find a plan that will work.

Low bidder is not always the least stressful or reliable.

The pick up location is not the best for a hauler trying to put together a multi-car load headed to a certain location. He may have a 3 car hauler: he needs 3 cars BOTH ways! It's like playing a chess game on a daily basis.

I still think that if you are balancing time and cost together, you need to stick with uship. Uship "is" the "broker" if you do it right. If you go by price alone on uship, you WILL get a broker, not an independent hauler.

If your ad on uship makes you sound like a tightwad, you may want to delete it and do a better ad. I mean no offence by that sentence, I am only trying to help.

Ok, I did not view your ebay ad on what you bought. Most guys here say you got a smoking deal. That said, there should be some room in your budget to get it hauled to you, and still feel like you got a good deal including the shipping costs. I can understand not having a bunch of extra cash laying around, but at this point hopefully you can come up with enough to get it home.

Some of my friends will never buy a nice car from a dry climate because they don't want to deal on a car far away without seeing it, or don't want the stress of getting one home....so they always work with crap cars that will never be good. If you bought a nice dry car for a great price...get it home!! It will work out, somehow :)

Guest bofusmosby

Thanks guys for your help and advice. You asked what to me is a reasonable price to have the car hauled? Well, by reading the other posts I made, it is obviously not correct, compared with what is in the real world. I was simply going by what the "brokers" were telling me, not by an actual driver. I keep asking here what IS considered a reasonable price I should have to pay for this transport. So far, no one has given me any figures I can use as a reference point. Unfortunately, I believe it will have to be an open carrier. The only driver/owner I actually spoke with told me he would do it for $1200, but it would not be before a couple of months, like in June. That would be with my car only on his truck, with no storage anywhere, straight to my house.

The truth be known, I really thought that I had done my homework, but as can plainly be seen, it was NOT nearly good enough. This will be a mistake that I will never repeat. Sorry to be getting a bit "testy" here, as you can tell, with all that is going on, my nerves are really on edge. Live and learn. However, the man who sold me the car wants the car picked up, so I may have no choice on having it hauled before may. If it was OK for the seller, the wait for me would be no problem.

bofusmosby,

You have received good advice from some of the best on this site, several of whom I am proud to call a friend. These folks know the hobby, buying and selling, and the problems encountered along the way. I've had my share, having to replace most of my collection after Hurricane Katrina - and my purchases have come from dry climates since then.

Years ago, I bought a good, solid 2nd hand enclosed car hauler trailer to transport my own cars. It doubles as a 2nd garage. It was relatively inexpensive, and I still have it as a backup. More recently I was able to have a new trailer custom-built to my specs, but that is a different story.

Each car that I bought, I arranged for the seller to keep the car until I was able to pick it up, in one case for a whole year following the purchase because he had ample space, and I had none after the hurricane. The seller, in your case, may be able to find appropriate local SAFE storage for your lovely Pontiac. Deer Lodge, MT is home to a great museum, next door to the Territorial Prison Museum, and just off the Interstate (we have visited there during a VMCCA Chrome Glidden Tour). The museum may have modestly-priced storage space. Other collectors in the area might offer their assistance if the seller contacts them on your behalf. Hopefully they can hold your car until May, or June when the weather conditions are more favorable for you or a transporter to travel.

Do you have a friend, or a local car club member who will travel with you to retrieve the Pontiac? Does he have a good trailer? You might offer to cover travel expenses for his assistance. I have travelled all over this beautiful country to help our members bring their cars back home - not for profit, but to help-out. They always offer to cover our fuel, meal, and motel costs (sometimes we just get some shut-eye in the Suburban).

Network among your local contacts - especially among us retired guys who like to travel. You will be surprised at the help that is offered. Are you a member of AACA? Several of our Tour-buddies live in your area. Get involved, meet the folks, and ask for advice. You might just want to make an adventure out of it - fly there, grab a few spare parts, a few basic tools, and use the Spring weather to actually drive it home - BUT take along a roster - AACA, POCI, VMCCA - the old-car fraternity includes many people who will go above and beyond to help you on your way. It has certainly been that way for me, and I try to give back whenever I can. Most of us do !

The advice you received from F&J, MCHinson, Stealthbob, Trulyvintage, and the others is based upon years of experience. These folks know what they're talking about. They share with you what we have learned by making our own mistakes - don't feel alone - you will get it all back to where you can handle it, but maybe just different from what you had planned.

Sorry I cannot offer any specifics, but I hope these thoughts give some additional options.

I wish you the best in your quest to get your new baby home. Get involved with your local AACA for a lot more enjoyment. When you do, I'll introduce you to some other long-time friends in your area.

Guest bofusmosby

Thank you Marty for your words of wisdom. I know that the other members are trying to help out, but for me, everything I am going through is a learning experience. I haven't had the time to join any clubs yet, but this is something that I definately will be doing. It seems that all my extra time has been devoted to trying to get the car home. I really haven't had much time to even think about anything else. Just working 6 days a week, and this car. What really gets me is that I thought I did my homework on this one. I got about 20 estimates on the shipping of this car before I ever bought it. Unfortunately, these were all from brokers, not owners/drivers. I based my purchase price on not only the car, but the shipping as well. It never occured to me that all of these estimates on shipping would be way off in price, compared to what the going rates were.

I feel that at this time, I really have no choice, except to continue to look for a shipper. I just do not want to deal with anymore brokers. I can't stand a liar. Not that all of them are bad, just the ones I have been in touch with are. Sooner or later I'll find a way to get the car brought home. For the sake of the guy I bought it from, I am hoping it will be sooner, rather than later. I'll be sure and keep you all posted on this adventure. If nothing else, in the future it will show others what NOT to do when buying an old car.

Jim

Guest Wayne_Koffel

To Bofusmosby

I feel bad for you. Some of these respondants , while they are correct, may be leaving a bad taste in your mouth about the hobby. That was good advice my buddy Marty gave you. Did you come on this website looking for a professional transporter or another hobbyist willing to help out? There is a big difference. That professional needs to make a profit. When I haul for my customers whose cars I repair, I charge only my cost . I add up gas ,food,tolls, motels, and any repairs,tires,etc. that accru during the trip. My diesel gets about 16mpg hauling a 20 ft. closed trailer. It comes out to about 44 cents per mile. The professional has to add a profit base on top of that amount. And that amount is higher as the cost of their equipment is included. Those professionals that want to charge you $900 to $1300 are working cheap for the 2500 mile distance they would have to travel. If you where on this website looking for a fellow hobbyist to help you out, you should by all accounts, be willing to cover his costs to bring the car to you ! Marty's idea of networking is the only way you can reasonably expect to bring that car to you at a price you can afford . I periodically come on this site if I am going somewhere to see if I can find a fellow hobbyist who either needs something taken to or from where I'm going. When that happens most everyone is thrilled just to pay costs only. Good luck.

Wayne Koffel

Guest bofusmosby

Thank you for your comments Wayne. To be honest with you, I had no idea there would ever be anyone here who could help me out, except for possibly some good ideas or contacts on haulers. I didn't join this site looking for anything but information on old cars, and to meet fellow old car lovers. I also figured that if I were doing some type of repairs to the car, then this would be a great place to ask questions from those who would actually know the answers. It never occured to me that anyone here would assist me, except maybe put me in touch with a hauler they know. Thats why I made my first post. This has already happened, and when I spoke to the driver/owner, he said he could do the shipping for $1200, but it probably wouldn't be until June.

If I had found this site before I bought my car, I definately would have done things a lot different. I now know that the cost of transport is a lot higher then these brokers were telling me. I wasn't aware that there would be those here on this site that might be willing to take on such a task. I went ahead today and cashed in a weeks pay (vacation pay) from last year, so now I am able to offer $1500 for transport. I haven't taken a vacation since 1980, and couldn't think of a better way to use the money. (I usually take off a few hours here and there, or maybe a day here and there, but no vacation) The amount offered still might not be enough though. Time will tell. However, I refuse to deal with anymore brokers EVER! Right now, I need to explore my options.

I am in hopes of meeting a lot of members in the future,, and I plan on taking an active roll in what I do, not just someone sitting on the sidelines. I have made a lot of friends on various forums through the years, and even serve as a moderator on one of them. I also will be joining the national and local clubs once my head clears from all of this stuff going on.

It was a pleasure hearing from you Wayne, and I look forward to conversing again sometime.

Jim

bofusmosby,

I think you should place a transportation request on this site.

Maybe some hobbiest is traveling from the Deer Lodge / Butte / Helena, Montana area, heading south -- or toward the Chickasha, Oklahoma Pre-War Swap Meet. Maybe you could drive the car from there (not too far north of Dallas, Texas). Maybe you could arrange easier transport from Chickaska toward Tampa or someplace along the way.

You Have many options.

My buddy Wayne (I've known and respect him for nearly 14 years) is right about professionals having to make a profit, cover expenses, and stay on the road. As he said, he transports the cars he repairs and restores, and would rather cover costs going the other way rather than "dead-head" with an empty trailer. Many other hobbiests do the same, and could likely help if you list the right kind of request on this site. Many others have given me the same support with parts as well as cars.

A friend in Northern Illinois drove 40 miles in the dead of winter meeting half-way with a gentleman who sold me a new set of tires for my '70 Caddy. He then stored those tires for 6 months until I could pick up the '37 Roadmaster he helped me to buy from his friend's estate.

A friend in the Denver area drove 200 miles to check out the '54 Caddy for me, and advised me to buy it.

A friend in Cheyenne, Wyoming drove 10 hours round-trip to check out the '41 Caddy in Casper, and even left the deposit for me.

Another friend in New Jersey drove to Long Island, New York to examine the '30 Packard, and gave me his evaluation so that I could decide if I would make the trip from New Orleans and back with my trailer to look at the car myself -- I did, but first passed through central Pennsylvania to pick up another friend and respected restorer. Their advice encouraged me to adopt one of my nicest cars.

Another dear friend in the Tampa Bay Area suggested I contact another friend in New Jersey for advice about a '13 Buick on Ebay - instead I bought his '14 Buick - a much better car.

All of the above would not have happened without AACA, the other Marque clubs, and the network of friends calling other friends.

Back to the idea of your local club - it does not take much time - it opens new doors - who knows, but one of the members may have a friend or cousin who could help with storage, or knows somebody who is heading back with a trailer, or knows somebody along the way. Networking really works - I've met some of the nicest people that way - especially through the clubs. When I've needed advice, again the clubs and network of folks who have been there before come up with great advice.That is how I met Wayne, MCHinson, Steve Moskowitz, and so many other people who make up what I consider the core of the hobby.

Don't short-change yourself.

Again, best of luck,

post-54863-143138182715_thumb.jpg

post-54863-143138182716_thumb.jpg

post-54863-143138182717_thumb.jpg

post-54863-14313818272_thumb.jpg

post-54863-143138182721_thumb.jpg

post-54863-143138182721_thumb.jpg

Guest twofords

Don't be insulted but check the price of fuel, tolls, lodging and food on the road .50 cents to a dollar is cheap.

Bob

Guest bofusmosby

Bob (twofords)

Yea, that is where I did NOT do my research. After starting this thread, I have dug a lot deeper, and see what you mean. I was thinking that a car hauler would have maybe 6-8 vehicles on it, which would make the price of each vehicle be cheaper. Well, that is what the brokers told me. I guess I was the idiot for believing it! Thats what I get for "blindly" believing them.

Marty

How do a place a transportation request on this site? Remember, I am new here, and unfamiliar with this forum. As far as a local car club, can you make any recommendations? I agree, that would be a great start.

BTW, you have some GREAT looking cars! Unbelievable!

Jim

Guest bofusmosby

I just wanted to make a post saying that I just got off the phone with Trulyvintage (Jim) and gave him an apology, he is completely correct about the charges in the real world. I was not. He also said for me to wait until May to find an open carrier. I will contact the seller of the car, and see if there would be any way that he could hold on to the car until then. I will try to do as he suggested.

It was a real pleasure talking with him, and I hope that some day, I can call him friend. It would be an honor.:)

Jim

Jim,

It sounds like you are getting on the right track.

I sent you an Email, and will help you get in contact with friends who are active in the AACA Region in your area -- they are some really great folks -- at least I think so. I have known some of them for 30+ years, some more recent -- I visit when I have the opportunity.

I also made a suggestion as to posting here for transport. As I suggested earlier, You might find someone going from Montana to Chickasha or another Swap Meet with an empty trailer - then arrange for another ride coming farther south, or temporary storage in that area until you can find another ride for your Pontiac.

Or, you could just start a new post with "Need Transport South From Montana" . That could get something started.

Thanks for your generous comments on our cars. Touring is our favorite part of the hobby, and we get them out on the road whenever we can.

Edited by Marty Roth
Typo, and add a thought (see edit history)