Period Photo Thread - comments

Guest piercearrowpeter

Guest piercearrowpeter

I have been watching the AACA web forum for years without participating but I now feel compelled enough to sign up and comment on the period photo thread.

This has been the biggest success story on the forum with a huge following and a lot of participation only four weeks. I am a retired marketer and to see what T-Head started and developed is extraordinary. This left me to wonder what you would take you best success story ever and change it !!!!

I checked out the type of web program you are using with my wife and son who run a very good website development company and my son also has a degree in computer science.

They inform me that the page after page thread is common and well liked by most web users as it is like looking thru a good magazine. Most people do this for entertainment and it is hugely popular. This leads me to wonder why the AACA would go from that to a cumbersome click as you go setup. Sure it might be searchable but this is entertainment that was extremely well done that should not be messed with. Sure maybe a few tweaks but leave well done alone.

I checked with my old car friends who also love the thread to see before I wrote this if I was the only one thinking this way. They are all thinking like me. Bring it back, it was wonderful.

I invite the comments of others to see what the rest of you are thinking.

I don't see that the change hurt anything, in fact I like it.

AACA Forums:

#1 General Discussion

#2 Meets & Tours

#3 Buy/Sell

#4 Period Photo

It's so popular that making it easier to finds makes sense to me. With other threads arranged in last posted order, this topic now is easier to find and

monitor it's fabulous photo's. Kudo's to moderator.

I may have otherwise never seen a lot of these old cars in their "as they were" state of unrestored condition. I think it's a great resource and hope some great Computer person eventually can catalog them as to Make/Year/Type as a

reference source.

What happened to cause the Prewar Period Photo thread to be revised into UNUSEABLE?

Did it's popularity exceed some system capacity?

There are those of us who suffer with DialUp ISP with no other alternative available (Rural Southern Illinois) so browsing from one post to another now is measured in quarters of an hour!

My vote is to return to original "USEABLE" format so the library of images can continue to be rapidly browsed and enjoyed by all.

Anyone else agree?

Stude8

Guest fotofan
I have been watching the AACA web forum for years without participating but I now feel compelled enough to sign up and comment on the period photo thread.

This has been the biggest success story on the forum with a huge following and a lot of participation only four weeks. I am a retired marketer and to see what T-Head started and developed is extraordinary. This left me to wonder what you would take you best success story ever and change it !!!!

I checked out the type of web program you are using with my wife and son who run a very good website development company and my son also has a degree in computer science.

They inform me that the page after page thread is common and well liked by most web users as it is like looking thru a good magazine. Most people do this for entertainment and it is hugely popular. This leads me to wonder why the AACA would go from that to a cumbersome click as you go setup. Sure it might be searchable but this is entertainment that was extremely well done that should not be messed with. Sure maybe a few tweaks but leave well done alone.

I checked with my old car friends who also love the thread to see before I wrote this if I was the only one thinking this way. They are all thinking like me. Bring it back, it was wonderful.

I invite the comments of others to see what the rest of you are thinking.

Hear, hear! It wasn't broke, so why was it "fixed" ??????????

Johan,

Your read them exactly the same way. The layout is exactly the same. The only big difference now is each photo gets it own thread.

If i leave the thread to continue as-is, it will continue to get longer and longer and longer. For those that are first time visitors it is extremely hard to drill through dozens and dozens of pages. With this new format you know exactly where you left off and you can easily read only the new content posted.

Give it a chance folks.

Peter

"...to see what T-Head started and developed is extraordinary."

I totally agree!

"...page after page thread is common and well liked..."

True - but it has it's limits. When a thread's subject becomes popular it ultimately needs its own sub-forum. The "What is it" forum grew from the same scenario. People were posting pictures in the "What is it" thread. Unfortunately it go so long it no longer became managable. By creating a forum of its own it became both more popular and more accessible.

Not to mention that every other forum on the AACA forum works exactly the same way as the new "Period Photos" forum. It is not foreign to the uses of this forum.

Give it a chance folks.

Kudos for the new forum. The photo thread is the first place I go since it started and I was getting tired of going to the last page and then working backwards to the last one I saw. This should make it easier.

Don

P.S. How about new forums on "field finds", photos of cars in the rough, and maybe one on "tall tales". I enjoy the stories the old-timers tell (and I'm one of them) about their car-collecting experiences in the old days.

Peter, your logic in changing the thrread does not make sense to me. The topic is Pre-WWII original pictures and not an unending series of individual pictures, each with it's own thread. Please think about it and realize that you are causing many more problems than you are solving.

The huge popularity of the thread should tell you that T-Head really tapped into something that AACA should recognize as very positive. I hope you realize that there is still very strong interest in pre-war cars. It's what the club was built on.

I was about to post some photos of early race cars and other original pictures, but now that you have changed everything it doesn't make sense to post them.

Please reconsider the changes you made, thank you.

The topic is Pre-WWII original pictures and not an unending series of individual pictures, each with it's own thread. Please think about it and realize that you are causing many more problems than you are solving.

The creation of the new forum is precisely designed to focus even more on "Pre-WWII original photos".

The huge popularity of the thread should tell you that T-Head really tapped into something that AACA should recognize as very positive. I hope you realize that there is still very strong interest in pre-war cars. It's what the club was built on.

The creation of the new forum is in recognition of the popularity of the original thread and the strong interest in pre-war cars.

I was about to post some photos of early race cars and other original pictures, but now that you have changed everything it doesn't make sense to post them.

The new forum will give the subject much more exposure, not less.

Peter,

Thanks for all that you do. I suspect that eventually the load time on one long photo thread would become a serious problem, although I had not experienced that myself. Luckily, I do not have to worry about dial up service speeds.

As I am sure you remember, as a group, we tend to complain every time something gets changed after we have become familiar with it.

I urge everybody to give the new format a chance. It is not the way we have grown used to it in the past few weeks, but I think it may very well be for the best in the long term. This system now allows you to post a photo with a title that will make it easily searchable in the future. Someone who is looking for a particular car will be able to find it easily. I think it can be a good thing. Let's all try to keep an open mind, post some photos in the new forum and give it a chance. If you don't like it, give it a few weeks and then send Peter a Private Message explaining how you feel, after giving it a fair chance.

Just some input:

This is the second time T-Heads thread was altered/moved.

When it was moved in the very beginning, it was quickly moved back with a warning from the moderators..."it's up to you guys to keep this thread going", and "to not let it fall off the first page".

Well, it grew like wildfire and the view count was astronomical.

Why? I don't know. Maybe the "grab bag" of not knowing what to expect to see when you clicked on the last post?

Maybe it was seen as "finally a place for prewar guys to hang out" in a world of so called 15 to 20 year old "antique cars" ?

Sometimes "simple works"

If it was causing load problems for many viewers, how could the view count jump so fast? However, I am not a web manager, so maybe it was causing huge problems on Peter's end?

At any rate, it was a hit....a very big hit.

Peter,

Needless to say, It is frustrating to see your reaction to all the people who were really excited about the new thread and who were terribly disappointed at your decision to change the format. Did you discuss the change with T-Head or just make a unilateral decision? Also, what was the rationale for establishing a Post WWII Forum?

Unfortunately, I think that you may have killed the proverbial goose that layed the golden egg. The thread as originally constructed was a tremendous boost to not just the Forum but to the AACA itself.

1937HD45,

You said: "Whenever ANYTHING becomes FUN and Educational on the AACA FORUM it gets KILLED. T Head deserves an award for starting the Pre War Photo posts, sadly it will die unless returned to the original style post. "

and...

"I had hoped to add to the collection once I had upgraded my camera, but now that it is overorganized I see no point in posting."

Obviously I disagree with you. Your hyperbole doesn't explain what you find wrong with the change. I'd like to hear specifically why you feel the change is bad.

Peter

Holy cow Peter, I just noticed someone :cool: has now worked many many hours to go back to the long thread and put them in individual threads?

I sure don't think it was like that yesterday. WoW, that's a tad bit of effort. Hope it does well, ....and I am not being sarcastic.

It still works mostly the way. Go into the first thread. Enjoy it, scroll to the bottom, then click the link to the next thread... then enjoy the next one.

"If we were so wrong how come it was the most viewed section of the AACA Forum?"

It's not an issue of right or wrong. Its how the forums work. Every other AACA forum works the same way.

As I've stated, this new forum was built in recognition of the popularity of the thread, not in spite of it.

Oh, and your analogy is flawed. If all you did was go from picture to picture then your right.

BUT.

People make comments about each picture. Some people add more photos related to the original photo. In the old thread format comments and related posts get separated - not good.

Here is an example of a number of posts best kept together: http://forums.aaca.org/f215/studebaker-racing-history-276854.html

Not to mention putting it in a forum format the threads are now searchable.

Holy cow Peter, I just noticed someone :cool: has now worked many many hours to go back to the long thread and put them in individual threads?

I sure don't think it was like that yesterday. WoW, that's a tad bit of effort. Hope it does well, ....and I am not being sarcastic.

F&J,

That was me. :) I hope you (and others) can now see how this forum is better used by creating unique posts for each photo/subject.

Peter

F&J,

That was me. :) I hope you (and others) can now see how this forum is better used by creating unique posts for each photo/subject.

Peter

Ok, just a question: If I had a pic of a "bus with too many tires", should I put it on the existing bus thread that showed a bus in front of a tire store that had dual front axles, or are we supposed to start a new thread....or is that up to the poster?

I would guess I should put it with the first bus thead, not because it's a bus, but it is another bus with too many tires. but I am not sure

Ok, just a question: If I had a pic of a "bus with too many tires", should I put it on the existing bus thread that showed a bus in front of a tire store that had dual front axles, or are we supposed to start a new thread....or is that up to the poster?

I would guess I should put it with the first bus thead, not because it's a bus, but it is another bus with too many tires. but I am not sure

F&J,

This is true. If you are adding comments or another picture pertaining to the original post, it will be easier to follow with this new forum.

Having so many different pictures in the same thread makes it very hard for an observer to know who your replies were related to.

Wayne

Peter, While I think that the tone of some of the complaints is off base,

I think that the one thing that is probably causing the heartache is the fact that the Pre WWII and Post WWII are set up as sub-forums. There are very few other forums here set up as sub-forums.

If the two were set up as individual forums like the Buick-Pre War and Buick-Post war are set up, it would make navigation a little easier. I think that would make it a little easier for people to find what they want and make it a little bit more user friendly.

I liked the one long thread, but I understand your intent, and think that it can be better, but I think the sub-forum set up is less user friendly. I think that a slight change in the forum navigation would help eliminate a lot of the complaints.

Hello Peter,

I like to say, I certainly appreciate and understand the enormous task you are facing and managing, no doubt about this. My compliments.

The comments will most likely be not peronally, but fed by disappointment, loosing a very nice and easy to read thread.

The fun being, without knowing the specifics up front, having access to a very different bunch of pictures of cars and car related, at one glimp. Scrolling up and down as much as you like, at one mouse click.

The new set up asks for a very different approach and is less fun, because every time you have to open a new thread, to find out if it's interesting to you or not.

The one thread eliminated this by showing them all at once, so you were able to scroll over the ones you didn't like.

The reply is most certainly easier to follow with the single threads, but noticing the amount of visitors and the replies to certain pictures, the weigth it is getting now, is more then needed the way I see it.

I would love to get the previous single thread back, Johan

Hi Peter

The aaca forum is great. This period photo thread is for me the best part of the forum, thanks T Head. I have been trying to keep up with all the new period photo thread posts and enjoying it. The sheer volume of photos and comments were getting unmanagable to follow. If everyone put a post # on replies it might be simpler to trace comments back to photos.

Is it possible have all the new posts entered your new way (shown after as they are now)but still show the original thread the way it used to be but as a ''Sticky''? The ''sticky'' could serve like an index and anyone could follow it as we used to with it having all new posts for this thread but any new replies entered as new theads or as replies to existing new threads which could be found below as they are now. There would need to be a way to easily travel from ''sticky'' to post replies. What I am saying is that all posts would be entered twice, once as a reply to a subthread and as a sub thread. The poster would not post twice but it would show up twice. This way all the followers that enjoyed thread in original form could do so. If anyone wanted to see replys to posts they could be found matched to original posts.

I do not know anything about the logistics of doing this as I am barely computer literate. For it to work it would have to be simple to follow.

John

Guest South_paw
I don't like it. Before it was a convenient quick read, now it is a chore.

Exactly, sucked the fun right out of it :(

I'm a casual pre-war fan at best. For me that thread was an excellent and unexpected way to learn about pre war cars. For example, If the pictures were posted as individual threads, I would have just skipped over them. Why? Because if the thread title said "1932 Fire truck". I wouldn't give it the time of day, but when that same picture was mixed in the original Period Thread suddenly I found myself checking out 1932 fire truck pictures.

I'm sorry to see it end and end it did. I was seeing 20-30 new pre war pictures everyday. Now we can count on one hand the new pictures posted since the switch was made days ago.

Lou

(Still a Peter G fan) :)

Edited by South_paw (see edit history)

Just as I had read over half of the posts in the original single thread, the format changed and I have no idea how to go back and pick up where I left off because the page number no longer exists.

By the way, it appears that T-Head is no longer posting here. Does anyone know where he is currently posting his great pictures?

Exactly, sucked the fun right out of it :(

I'm a casual pre-war fan at best. For me that thread was an excellent and unexpected way to learn about pre war cars. For example, If the pictures were posted as individual threads, I would have just skipped over them. Why? Because if the thread title said "1932 Fire truck". I wouldn't give it the time of day, but when that same picture was mixed in the original Period Thread suddenly I found myself checking out 1932 fire truck pictures.

I'm sorry to see it end and end it did. I was seeing 20-30 new pre war pictures everyday. Now we can count on one hand the new pictures posted since the switch was made days ago.

Lou

(Still a Peter G fan) :)

Peter, the above post describes me as well.

I think it was working well because when someone posted a pic, they were not expecting a reply to that pic, and the mass of viewers really were not expecting or wanting a reply....what they were expecting was a new, unrelated, surprise.

A photograph shows so much more that any possible thread title can say.

I may not care about a 1923 Binford but "look at the way they were dressed. Boy, those guys really had to work so hard. That person looks like he was sad, or happy. Look at those houses, it looks like grampa's house."

Also the postwar segment is a dud. Why? Maybe these ancient prewar photos of a time that none of us lived, brings us so far away from the modern world and issues as well as taking us away from the normal chatroom type threads. I think that must be why T-Head required old pictures, not a modern picture of an old prewar car. It's not just about the car.

I really think the thread was bringing untold amounts of new people back into the prewar cars......cars that were forgotten until this thread started. Very good for the hobby IMO

Edited by F&J (see edit history)

T-Head,

Perhaps the time has come (weather permitting) to fill the primers on that 35J. set the spark and throttle, hit the starter and head out to grreener more pre- WWII welcoming pastures. Don't forget to open the cut-out, especially when down shifting from fourth to third. Please let us know where you new location is.

I am disappointed that these changes were made by the WM. I really enjoyed the original format created by T-Head.

What ever happened to the adage of...if it ain't broke, don't fix it!

If the majority agrees, won't it make sense to return the format as it was done originally?

If there is a legitimate reason for the changes made, I haven't been convinced by ready the material presented.

Just my opinion, but lets make this a democratic decision.

How about a vote over a week's timeframe to see what the "group" wants?

Thanks for the ability to voice my opinion.

I am disappointed that these changes were made by the WM. I really enjoyed the original format created by T-Head.

What ever happened to the adage of...if it ain't broke, don't fix it!

If the majority agrees, won't it make sense to return the format as it was done originally?

If there is a legitimate reason for the changes made, I haven't been convinced by ready the material presented.

Just my opinion, but lets make this a democratic decision.

How about a vote over a week's timeframe to see what the "group" wants?

Thanks for the ability to voice my opinion.

I don't know, I'd think twice before finding fault with what's going on. There have been changes over the years, some I liked, some that I didn't. In either case Peter Gariepy works hard to keep this website going, and I wouldn't find fault with what he's doing. Dedicated people don't come easy these days. I wouldn't want to try to do his job, nor would I want to be given the task of finding someone else to do the job if he got sick of doing it.

Guest 25erduplex

For those of us who followed the old format....no matter how long it was, you could always go to the last page and work your way back to where you had left off and that made it easy to follow. Now I don't know where to find the newest photos because comments on older posts show up in date order and you get lost. I know the WM was trying to make it better but sometimes things need to be left alone.