Tools

Guest 1930

Jason,

I have wire wheels. The "clip" part of the wrench is useless to me, but the large hexagon fits the inner wheel dust cover and the small hexagon fits the axle nut. As far as I know, these wrenches were provided for both wood and wire wheels. I'm not sure exactly how the wood spoke wrench works, but it's probably quite obvious if you have a wood wheel and hubcap with which to try it out. I think you just slip the wrench under the hubcap with the tangs up, then you pivot the wrench, prying the hubcap off, since you should have roughly equal torque at both ends of the hub cap.

I'm not willing to highlight my parts book not do I own a scanner, only a camera, so I will list the applicable 30-U tools and part numbers here:

Starting Crank Assembly- Part #313292

Starting Crank Assembly Pin- #103756

Hammer- #600473

Pliers- #51827

Screw Driver- #41597

Auto Jack- #76268

Jack Handle- #76269

Tire Pump- #324184

Tool Kit Bag Assembly (Includes Tools)- #71367

Wrench #1- #41593

Wrench #2- #41594

Wrench #4- Not in my parts book, but listed as a wrench I should have in my owner's manual)

Wrench Push Rod- #12044

Wheel and Rim Wrench- #377176

Wheel Cylinder Bleeder Hose Assembly- #51554

Zerk Oil Gun- #115305

As far as the parts book, I just assumed they put them out every so often. Mine is a repro and it says "For all Models Prior to 1934." I just assume it was a regular update. The date is April 1, 1934.

-Chris

Interesting to see what the original looked like. You can also get a estimate of the actual size because the threaded end goes into the bleeder screw. And the "dust cap" listed for use when the bleeder tool was not attached is simply a bolt out of Group 18 in the parts book. I'd have to look it up but I think it's a 1/4 fine thread if memory servers.

I made up a tool by taking the right size bolt and drilling a hole down the center then soldering a hose bib to it. Looks a little different that your photo.

By the way, mind if I grab that photo and add it to my on-line parts list?

Zerk Gun 115305, I think I have this somewhere, I have looked but have not but my finger on the info yet though but I do remember this number. Cant do any more right now though and may not be able to again till next weekend, I am pretty tired after work during the week.

It will give you time to show me the hub-cap pict. I requested anyhow.

Jason,

Thanks again for the postings. Just to reiterate my last posting with the part numbers, I do not have wood spoke wheels, I have wire wheels, so I will not be supplying a photo, unless you want to see the wire wheels/hubcaps.

Thanks,

Chris

Interesting to see what the original looked like. You can also get a estimate of the actual size because the threaded end goes into the bleeder screw. And the "dust cap" listed for use when the bleeder tool was not attached is simply a bolt out of Group 18 in the parts book. I'd have to look it up but I think it's a 1/4 fine thread if memory servers.

I made up a tool by taking the right size bolt and drilling a hole down the center then soldering a hose bib to it. Looks a little different that your photo.

By the way, mind if I grab that photo and add it to my on-line parts list?

Be my guest

Can you shed some light on the two different parts books, makes no sense to me to print two masters within such a short time frame

Here is another blurred pict, it is the best I was given

post-48869-143141748183_thumb.jpg

Edited by 1930 (see edit history)

Jason,

Thanks again for the postings. Just to reiterate my last posting with the part numbers, I do not have wood spoke wheels, I have wire wheels, so I will not be supplying a photo, unless you want to see the wire wheels/hubcaps.

Thanks,

Chris

I had assumed that Plymouth wood wheels have the indentations on the rear of the cap for the tangs of the cap removal tool to mate with but I do not like to assume things and so that is why I asked.

If you have a wire wheel cap and the tool handy a pict. of the tool fitted onto cap would be a nice addition to my collection of tool info.

Here's the collection I've assembled so far. The starter crank came with the car, so I assume it is original.

<a  href=%7Boption%7Dhttp://i592.photobucket.com/albums/tt7/hursst/100_0865A-1.jpg' alt='100_0865A-1.jpg'>

Can you tell us what drove you to decide on these tools each specifically, in other words why that screwdriver, pliers, jack and grease gun.

Screwdrivers,jacks, grease guns and pliers for many models are still a mystery. The problem being that Chrysler did not seem to standardize these items thru a specific manufacturer, they appeared to buy assuming in great bulk thru whomever offered the items for the lowest price.

Be my guest

Can you shed some light on the two different parts books, makes no sense to me to print two masters within such a short time frame

Here is another blurred pict, it is the best I was given

No idea why they'd print two masters in a short period of time. Maybe they found a bunch of errors or omissions in the first...

So that photo of the brake bleed adaptor tool was taken by someone else? I'd like to chase down the original photographer for permission to publish. Can you let me know who that is?

Can you tell us what drove you to decide on these tools each specifically, in other words why that screwdriver, pliers, jack and grease gun.

Screwdrivers,jacks, grease guns and pliers for many models are still a mystery. The problem being that Chrysler did not seem to standardize these items thru a specific manufacturer, they appeared to buy assuming in great bulk thru whomever offered the items for the lowest price.

The jack handle looks very much like the one that was in my '33 when I got it. But the jack that came with the car looks different, cast or forged rather than metal halves riveted together. I can't say that my jack and jack handle are original, just that they were in the car when I got it back in '73. And now that I look again, my jack handle connects to the jack using a 1/2" square drive not a tang as shown. So I guess other than looking to be a similar vintage they are quite different. The starting crank for my '33 has a longer shaft but otherwise looks similar.

For the jack equipment and screwdriver I went off the photos on posting #110 above. For the pliers I went off of posting #11's photo. For the grease gun, I used #13's photo. I made assumptions that these were the closest to correct based on model years of the cars' tools listed in those photos. I don't claim that any of my assumptions are correct, just that I think they must be close. If I learn any more info, I would upgrade the tool kit as needed.

I'll get a photo of the wheel hub wrench on the dust cover within a day or two.

No idea why they'd print two masters in a short period of time. Maybe they found a bunch of errors or omissions in the first...

So that photo of the brake bleed adaptor tool was taken by someone else? I'd like to chase down the original photographer for permission to publish. Can you let me know who that is?

The jack handle looks very much like the one that was in my '33 when I got it. But the jack that came with the car looks different, cast or forged rather than metal halves riveted together. I can't say that my jack and jack handle are original, just that they were in the car when I got it back in '73. And now that I look again, my jack handle connects to the jack using a 1/2" square drive not a tang as shown. So I guess other than looking to be a similar vintage they are quite different. The starting crank for my '33 has a longer shaft but otherwise looks similar.

The photo was taken for me at my request, there were no stipulations given on how the photo should have been used.

I will see if I can find the original owners info for you though because he was someone that went out of his way to help me with my quest and did it just to be kind.

If you give me the original part number for your jack than maybe I can show you what it looked like but I can guarantee that I cannot provide the information of everyone that has helped me with collecting info on my tools query so maybe you will not want that picture/ information after all.

The photo was taken for me at my request, there were no stipulations given on how the photo should have been used.

I will see if I can find the original owners info for you though because he was someone that went out of his way to help me with my quest and did it just to be kind.

If you give me the original part number for your jack than maybe I can show you what it looked like but I can guarantee that I cannot provide the information of everyone that has helped me with collecting info on my tools query so maybe you will not want that picture/ information after all.

Thank you for the clarification on the photo. Sounds like you own the copyright... I just wanted to double check as I like to be thorough on that.

With respect to my jack and hand crank: I was just tossing that out as a comment on the photo you quoted. I don't carry that jack in the car, I have a small hydraulic bottle jack in case I get a flat. If the old screw type jack I have is original, great. If it isn't then it is no big deal to me.

Hi folks, 1930 kindly introduced me this past weekend as a Plymouth 29U owner and I hope to contribute in at least a small way. I have a reproduction April 01, 1934 Ply Master Parts List and Jan and May 1929 Instruction Books for reference.

Re: 32 & 34 Master Lists, I might ask Where is 1933? Actually, I think there would be a yearly addendum of some sort to be current for the model year. Chrysler would have been driven by cost/practicality for authorized repair stations to identify and order correct parts. How often should an all inclusive List be published? All about the money.

I'm sure others have noticed the common Descriptions and P/N on the 1934 Dodge and Ply Tool Lists. I might guess this would extend to the Chrysler and DeSoto Tool Lists also. If this was mentioned previously, I apologize.

If successful with attachments, highlighted in red are common P/N for Ply 29U and 30U tools on DB & Plymouth Lists.

Edited by frank29u
hit wrong key (see edit history)

Jason,

Here's the photo of the hub wrench on one of my dust covers:

<a  href=%7Boption%7Dhttp://i592.photobucket.com/albums/tt7/hursst/100_0871.jpg' alt='100_0871.jpg'>

Thank you for the clarification on the photo. Sounds like you own the copyright... I just wanted to double check as I like to be thorough on that.

With respect to my jack and hand crank: I was just tossing that out as a comment on the photo you quoted. I don't carry that jack in the car, I have a small hydraulic bottle jack in case I get a flat. If the old screw type jack I have is original, great. If it isn't then it is no big deal to me.

I will not ever share material in its entirety openly that someone has asked me not to do.

If I ever did than it was a mistake on my part and I just did not know any better.

Thats what I ran across most often with the tool re-search, majority of people just do not care whether their tools are correct and original for their car so you are not alone.

Hi folks, 1930 kindly introduced me this past weekend as a Plymouth 29U owner and I hope to contribute in at least a small way. I have a reproduction April 01, 1934 Ply Master Parts List and Jan and May 1929 Instruction Books for reference.

Re: 32 & 34 Master Lists, I might ask Where is 1933? Actually, I think there would be a yearly addendum of some sort to be current for the model year. Chrysler would have been driven by cost/practicality for authorized repair stations to identify and order correct parts. How often should an all inclusive List be published? All about the money.

I'm sure others have noticed the common Descriptions and P/N on the 1934 Dodge and Ply Tool Lists. I might guess this would extend to the Chrysler and DeSoto Tool Lists also. If this was mentioned previously, I apologize.

If successful with attachments, highlighted in red are common P/N for Ply 29U and 30U tools on DB & Plymouth Lists.

Master Parts books were issued normally with many years between copies, ( thats what I was referencing ) you are referring to model specific parts books in which most cases were issued when the new model year vehicles were introduced.

The same tools were in many cases used throughout all Chrysler vehicle lines. One would just need to gain access to the ( preferably ) model specific parts books and their numbers but of course could also use the Master parts books if that were all that was avail.

Jason,

Here's the photo of the hub wrench on one of my dust covers:

<a  href=%7Boption%7Dhttp://i592.photobucket.com/albums/tt7/hursst/100_0871.jpg' alt='100_0871.jpg'>

Never having owned a car with wire wheels this pict. is a GREAT help, I assume you pry the outer cover off with a screwdriver, is that correct?

Thanks again, very nice picture

Yes, the regular hubcap should be removed with a screwdriver and a careful touch. I've been using the opposite end of a lug wrench, since there were already plenty of paint chips on the wheel under the hubcap when I bought the car, plus it gives better leverage.

324184 Tire pump. This is a perfect example of Master Parts books blunders, this tire pump is listed for many years prior to its introduction within the Dodge line-up when in fact it did not actually appear until sometime in late 1931.

If you would like a picture of what I believe would be more correct for your Plymouth let me know but according to the master parts book this will be the correct tire pump for your vehicle.

Disregard most of what is written below the picture, I put this together some time ago and since then many things have changed in my references.

post-48869-143141751845_thumb.jpg

Can you attach here a picture of your starting crank alone by itself preferable on a white towel, showing overall dimensions and giving me any addit. measurements via your post would be helpful.

I will work on getting your jack info if I am able

Just from a quick look 76268 was not a jack used by D.B. I have less time working with Plymouth tools but from what I was able to confirm this will be the correct jack for your car, I would be more than happy to debate this with anyone and I may lose but at this point I do not think that would be the case.

post-48869-143141751941_thumb.jpg

post-48869-143141751944_thumb.jpg

post-48869-143141751946_thumb.jpg

post-48869-143141751948_thumb.jpg

Starting crank was next, now that I have looked it up I can confirm once you give me some pict/overall dimensions if your is correct/original.

377176 wire wheel removal tool was another D.B Master Parts book blunder, it shows being used for a variety of models prior to the Senior series, I have all of these books and the correct original tool did not carry this same part number, there is a possibility however that the original numbers ( 11998 ect ) were superseded to this new number.

I would have to look into this possibility further at a later time if you wanted to pursue this, otherwise I can be of no help identifying this tool

41593 # 1 wrench started out as a 30770 in the Maxwell days then changed to a 51818 later for the Chrysler controlled Dodge. This is a very difficult wrench to find, I may only have one 41593s but several 51818s and 30770. Difference was in the jaw openings.

Most often even when you do find the correct 41593 you will have jaws that have been opened up to one size larger or 7/16 1/2 inch.

The original jaw opening size of 41593 would have been 3/8 7/16

I have shown two different # 1s in this picture, hopefully you can differentiate the differences in the body shapes as well, one is more slender at a single end than the other.

post-48869-143141752013_thumb.jpg

41594 # 2 wrench. This is another very interesting little guy, avail in 2 different styles, marked and un-marked, when it was un-marked it was used in other tool roll set-ups, your however will be marked just as this is clearly with a # 2

I have found early Dodge used some un-marked as # 3s and later Plymouth used un-marked as the # 2s

BTW there were slight variances in shapes, cut-outs as dies were worn/re-placed/up-dated but for all intents and purposes this really does not affect the wrench tool designation

post-48869-143141752036_thumb.jpg

# 4 wrench or 51821, very interesting wrench in that it was the predecessor to the more commonly seen # 5 wrench. # 4s are fairly common in the earlier kits but were phased out sometime in the very early thirties. Jaw openings remained the same between the 4 and 5.

post-48869-143141752072_thumb.jpg

Jason,

Overall length is 16 1/2" Overall width is 9 1/2" Diameter of handle is 11/16"

25beb3dc-8a73-4bf1-9167-2144a8a608a2.jpg

19f3bda2-e2a7-4340-8499-9359372148eb.jpg

Interesting about the jack. Very different than I thought it would be. What reference did you use to confirm that the jack is correct? Do you know anyting about the handle to the jack?

Again on the jack there is no definite confirmation that it is the correct jack for your car.

I try to collect 3 examples from same year ( if possible model ) cars and I only have found two of these part numbers used on two different Plymouth vehicles for 1929 1930.

Dodge did use these sheet metal jacks in the early years meaning a few years prior to 1929 1930 Dodge.

Plymouth was a lower line of car so it makes it a possibility that they may still have used these cheaper/less substantial jacks whilst other Chrysler products would have moved onto the cast units.

I have on file a complete from what I am told original 29 Plymouth tool-kit that I am using for some of my reference points in trying to help you, I will at the end of all this show you these photos. You will see within the photos the jack handle and I am pretty sure you will recognize it. Fairly common from what I have seen.

Jason,

Overall length is 16 1/2" Overall width is 9 1/2" Diameter of handle is 11/16"

25beb3dc-8a73-4bf1-9167-2144a8a608a2.jpg

19f3bda2-e2a7-4340-8499-9359372148eb.jpg

I have approx 16 3/4 overall length but I am sure they are the same so yes this appears to be the original crank for your car, it was used on a WIDE variety of Dodge vehicles as well. Thanks for the photos

Here are additional tools that were in my car when purchased. There are no markings on the jack. It is also pretty flimsy as the two part shell protecting the gearing is one piece of metal folded over another to hold it together on the edges. These two pieces are riveted to the base.

Looks like the starter crank is the same and the jack and handle are slightly different than the one I have. I would guess that your jack/handle would be correct for your '29.

Of course I can't vouch for authenticity of any of these items. They were just in the car. The jack looks like it was used a few times during the years. Interesting the jack and its handle don't have the rust the crank and wrenches had. I don't know where they were located in the car or what year the top/roof had completely disintegrated.

• 4 months later...

Jason, any ideas what this may belong to ? I found it along with some other interesting tools at a old Antique Shop yesterday way off the beaten path. I plan on going back because I believe he had a DB jack now that I have read thru this thread.

Here is the wrench I'm curious about. The only markings I could find on it were 6165 DB 1. Notice there is no Q before the numbers. Any ideas what year or model this goes to ?

post-69994-143141993577_thumb.jpg

WOW that was quick ! Thanks. Can you tell me (according to my tool kit listed in my DA-124 parts list) when I'm looking for tools for my truck should I be looking for numbers prefixed with U2 ? See photo of parts list attached.

post-69994-143141993596_thumb.jpg

Great work on this thread by the way.... Sure hated to see this one float to the bottom of the pile, it's much needed.

Jason asked that I post this email below incase others may be able to help.

"Hey Jason,

after reading the Tools thread you created I

noticed I am on the wrong path for what I need for my tool

kit so I'm just going to start over from scratch and use

that thread as a guide.

A couple of things I am wanting to know are :

In post #47 on page 2 you show pictures of different tools and you

mentioned a gentleman named Doug that possibly may have

extras. Can you tell me if he has the wrench in the 1st

photo and 2nd photos on the left of post #47 ?

I am interested in ANY and ALL tools he may have listed in

my parts list book since I'm starting over.

One thing to note is on the DA hubcaps compared to my DA 3/4 ton truck is

that the hubcaps are substantially smaller than the hubcaps

on my truck at least the inside where they thread

onto the hub. I know this because if you recall the 29 Coupe

parts car I spoke of previously I was able to take one of my

correct fitting hubcaps to test it on the 29 Coupe hubs. The

reason I make note of that fact is because I wanted to

verify the hubcap wrench tool was the same for a 29 DA car

and my 30 DA truck. I'm assuming the outer octagon shape on

both caps are the same thus making the wrench a universal

fit for DA models for both Car and Truck but I was hoping

you could verify. Pictured below is what my hubcaps look

like. Notice the flat edge is very pronounced on the inside(but on the cars they are curved).

I've also provided measurements incase you come across any

or incase you need it for your own personal notes. I am in need of

two more of these same style hubcaps also. I should also note the car

hubcaps have six rows of threads while my truck has eight rows.

Regards,

Dave "

post-69994-143141996098_thumb.jpg

post-69994-14314199588_thumb.jpg

post-69994-143141995914_thumb.jpg

post-69994-143141995942_thumb.jpg

post-69994-143141995971_thumb.jpg

Edited by 30DodgePanel (see edit history)