Tools

Guest 1930

Guest 1930

Just a warning, this is one of the guys that sells dodge tools kits on e-bay, this is the set being sold now that he claims to have documentation on, this is the documentation that he or someone has altered from the D.B newsletters to suit his own needs. This guy has no clue what he is selling and dosent care

post-48869-143138533423_thumb.jpg

Guest 1930

I have been working on this on another forum, I know some of you guys would be interested and I hope that some of you guys can either correct me or add to what I have posted or at least answer some of my inquires. I am just going to copy and paste here, I am slowly coming across info so I am adding to some posts. You will see the additions as I am learning because they are seperated from the rest of the text by periods. Thanks for any sharing..........I have to add the pict. at the bottom as they wont just copy and paste from my original post

I have spoken with the gentleman that purchased the truck in 09 ( it was featured along with the kit in D.B Feb/Mar 09 issue ) and sold me the kit ( he has simce sold the truck but kept the kit for some odd reason ) and he told me that although he had asked for further clarification on the kit from other club members there were zero responses so I guess no one knew or no one cared to be bothered to comment. I feel that the kit deserved more than that and am proving that their are answers to be found concerning it like everything else if one wasnts to dig deep enough.

I purchased this today, it was found under the seat of a VERY original Graham Bros. truck that sat for a very long time, its desc is ............VINTAGE GRAHAM BROTHERS / DODGE BROTHERS IGNITION TOOL KIT

Leather like hard case folds open, snaps closed. Case measures 10-1/2" X 5" X 1". Felt lined. "GB" logo on the front.

Possibly a pyroxylin coated cloth

Includes 12 ignition wrenches labled for BOSCH, DELCO,EISMANN, NORTH EAST, REMEY and SPLITDORF, 1 screw driver, 1 file, 2 Allan Wrenches (1/8" and 5/32" and 1 set of feeler gauges. Nothing missing. Some slight surface rust, the case is weathered as shown is pictures.

Anyone have any ideas on its original purpose, I have a few hunches but I would like to hear someone elses Thanks

lzenglish

Contributor

Re: Graham Bros ignition set

« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2011, 03:29:07 pm »Quote

I know nothing of its history, but it sure is a nice looking kit!

Papaw

Owner/Administrator

Administrator

Alvin, Texas

« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2011, 04:49:48 pm »Quote

In the old days, many drivers were capable of minor repairs and maintenance on the road and knew how to work on magnetos and distributors. Such a kit helped.Report to moderator Logged

Member of PHARTS - Pefect Handle Admiration, Restoration and Torturing Society

"If there are no dogs in heaven,then I want to go where they go."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hm Wrench

« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2011, 04:55:33 pm »Quote

You said a truck and I am thinking tow truck?

Thanks,

KirkReport to moderator Logged

Always Looking for Motorcycle, Bicycle tools and related information.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Contributor

« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2011, 04:57:37 pm »Quote Modify Remove

Yes I know but why the Graham logo on it, was it possibly a graham mechanics or maybe a salesmans deal, ok I shpuld have put this in the watizits

Report to moderator 173.65.216.57

Contributor

« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2011, 04:58:19 pm »Quote Modify Remove

No it was a laundry truck, a panel wagon or panel truck

Report to moderator 173.65.216.57

Contributor

« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2011, 05:06:59 pm »Quote Modify Remove

Interesting story that I thought you might enjoy, I am hesitant to offer this as of yet since I am still working out the particulars so I may not be dead nuts on all of this info but this is going to be pretty close and if there is any interest to this post I will post the final outcome of my studies. Most of this sort of info wont be found on the internet ( lot of incorrect info will be found ) but I have anough G,B literature that I havent had a chance to ever look at to help me along. I also have the benefit of some contact people who have helped me with this greatly. If anyone would like to correct me than I implore them to do so.

It would seem that the G.B originally offered conversion kits to other auto manuf in the early teens before they decided to produce an entire truck bearing their own nameplate........................Actually it was late 1916 early 17, they were able to start the company with profits from their sold Graham glass company and their special bottle making machine.

Ray Graham introduced the first 4 cyl tractor in Indiana in 1910. The company continued with farm tractors and also kits to convert autos into light duty trucks, they invented a special rear axle and telescoping rear frame section that allowed conversion of the model T Ford chasis . Within the kit was a specalized extended rear frame and chain drive rear wheels also a cab and either a stake or express rear body. 350 dollars was the cost. IN 1917 they renamed their kit the Graham Bros truck builder and claimed that the cust. could use this kit on any vehicle which might explain some of the wrenches but I am still working on this. ......................

I dont know if these kits were only offered for Ford vehicles or if they were applicable to many other makes, .......I added to my theory already above.....I believe they were not solely confined to Fords but that was for obvious reasons one of their major sales.

I believe though as mentioned that the kits could be adapted and were adapted to most any make, I have a short list of what was offered within these kits and it included extensions for the rear portion of frame and other items but until now I am still not perfectly clear on some of these accessories so I would rather not comment to them yet............again all of this was either corrected or added to above...............

I think that sometime in 1919 they began producing their own complete line of trucks with the GB nameplate........actually it was late 19........and in ...........April ............21 joined hands with D.B corporation to produce trucks using their drivelines. Aug of 1924 Dodge purchased 51% of Graham shares to supposedely work more closely with the firm.

I have read that the partnership only lasted two years ................actually it was roughly 4 years, April of 1926 the relationship ended because of the Dillon and Read buyout, the Graham Bros felt they had lost their upper hand within the company and could not do as they had originally planned within the company because of new owners......................and have also read 5 years, both of these numbers were pulled off line so it just goes to show that their is alot of confusion.

I honestly dont know .........I do now................at this point if Graham Bros stayed on with Dodge all the way up until 1928 but evidence in the format of corporations ledgers seem to hint toward the 3 bros. all having seperate positions within the company even after 1928 takeover. ..........I was wrong it would appear on all of this, the ledgars are dated mid 20s

It would seem that at some point in 28 Chrysler decided to drop the Graham truck line ( I dont know why yet ) ...........I still dont know if someone could enlighten me it would be appreciated, I have been told it was 28 but that the Graham name still showed up in some vehicles all the way up until the early thirties...................... and there was an agreement made then or before then ( again still unclear on the actual date that Graham left Dodge ) .............already noted with my corrections above............that Graham would not produce trucks for a period of 5 years after they left the Dodge corporation, they broke this agreement in 1930 by introducing the Paige motor car line as a new truck line and were quicly corrected by Walter P. that it was a NO No and this is what caused them to turn back with building cars.

Back to the intent of the original post the ignition set is not neccesarily solely ignition after all, apparently because of Grahams spotted endeavours they used many different types of ignitions in their vehicles, they also used various makes of horns, ignition switches and other electrical devices, this kit was intended to treat all of these. Most likely manufactured late 20s most probabaly 27 28 and as noted above 28 would have been the cutoff point.

I have some questions now I was hoping some of you could help me with, I would appreciate it if you are uncertain of something please note that in your remarks, I have been doing Dodge pretty intently for a little while now and I have never seen another kit such as this and wont hold my breath that I ever will again so if it were to become damaged I would not be very happy.

There is a wooden tray that has been cut out to the shape of each individual wrench, some of the wrenches have pretty extreme angles and cause the need for extreme depressions within this wooden tray, the tray and the outer pouch are bonded somehow as one piece.

I am assuming if the outer case is leather than the GB logo is some sort of dye, what do you think. How was this stamped onto here?

What sort of treatment could be used to at least stabalize the material of tho outer portion of pouch, I am assuming that it is leather as mentioned but it is terribly thin and I know the 28 model A rumble seat used a synthetic material wheras the front compartment used a leather so could this possibly be a synthetic material.

I am assuming the GB logo is a dye stamp, any info on this process and the types of dye possbly used would be helpfull possibly to preserve this logo.

The wrenches are fairly clean but in some small areas show rust pitting, what might be the best way to once again preseve these while getting rid of or stopping the rust without damaging what might be the original nickel plating. To be honest they may not even be plated at all, I am not sure at this point.

The feeler gauge was rusted solid between its leaves, I was able to work it all lose with some WD but the action is still not smooth, what could I soak this in to not only get rid of the traces of rust but also make its operation smoother, you have to remember that we are deaing with some steel that is pretty thin in some areas.

Here is a rundown of the wrenches that are marked

2 Remys

2 bosch

1 delco

1 for K.W. ( what might that be any ideas???)

1 eisman

1 splitdorf

1 Northeast

2 unmarked

1 ...very hard to read first letter definitely C...second letter definitely O......3rd letter may be an N.....a couple of unknown letters in between and then what appears to be a TIC....Any ideas on what that is supposed to say. I think there is a FOR above all of that but cant verify for sure. Very weak print on this wrench

Total of 12 wrenches.

Any help with any of this is greatly appreciated

Bus

Contributor

Kansas

« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2011, 12:53:18 am »Quote

K-W is the K-W Ignition Company

The one you can't read is probably "For Connecticut" which is the Connecticut Telephone & Electric Co.

The Mohican Model A Ford Club, Inc - Connecticut Ignition 1920

Contributor

« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2011, 04:28:08 am »Quote Modify Remove

That is a big help Bus, Bobs model T parts is one lucky guy to have the equipment and the history of that equipment. As I was reading that article it came to me that I may have seen the K-W logo in the past and if I were to see it again I would prob. feel pretty stupid because something obvious would come to me.

As far as Connecticut, I should have guessed, I grew up there and now looking at the wrench and the spacing between unclear letter it is obvious that is what was printed. I have not yet read that portion of your link but will do so later and comment, I have some other things to change or add to my post above and will do so then. Thanks again

Contributor

« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2011, 05:17:20 pm »Quote Modify Remove

Envelope says ( I cant read the first letters but I can read ilfillan Bros. smelting and refinishing Co. Los Angelas CA. I am assuming it is this company, what do you think Bus or anyone else.......

In the late 1920‘s through the late 30‘s, almost every west coast radio manufacturer had some relationship with the Gilfillan Brothers. What follows is a brief history of Gilfillan, and an attempt to expose many of the brands that were built, at least in part, in the Gilfillan factories in Los Angeles, San Francisco, and Waukegan (Illinois). Gilfillan was arguably the best-known radio manufacturer on the west coast during the late twenties and early thirties. The Company‘s roots begin around 1912 when Sennet Gilfillan purchased his uncle‘s smelting business in Los Angeles shortly after graduating from Stanford University. Sennet was joined later that year by his younger brother, Jay, and the company was incorporated in 1914 under the name Gilfillan Brothers Smelting and Refining Company. In 1915 the company ventured into the automotive components industry (manufacturing products similar to Atwater Kent), becoming the first company on the west coast to manufacture and distribute products made of Bakelite. In 1921 the company was re-organized and shortened its name to Gilfillan Brothers. 1921 also marked the year that Gilfillan entered the radio industry offering radio parts to amateur radio operators and wireless enthusiasts. The company continued to design, build, and market radios through the late 1940‘s changing it‘s name to Gilfillan Corp. in the mid-1950‘s.

It mentions shortening of name is 21, in your opinion would that place this kit to prior or I suppose it a great possability that they had a huge overstock of these little envelopes that they continued to use.

It mentions in 1915 its venturing into the automotive components industry, in your opinion could they have been the manuf. of this kit.

Still working on years of service for the Ct ignition, I think by finding this sort of info I can pinpoint better the tool kits age

Fatboy

Contributor

« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2011, 09:34:08 pm »Quote

Nice kit!

Contributor

« Reply #11 on: Today at 06:21:06 am »Quote Modify Remove

Thanks Fatboy, Cmon guys am I talking to myself here,

Still working on this and typing my progress as I go along, maybe some of you guys can shed some light on what I am missing. Here is what I have.......by the way I have edited the Graham post above to show what I had missed, I was correct on most everything but I found some pieces to add.

Gilfillan Brothers Smelting and Refining Company.......that is the name that appears on the envelope, I am asuming that they are the makers of the entire kit since they also ........In 1915 the company ventured into the automotive components industry........So I guess it would be safe to assume that the kit was made sometime after 1915 and before .......... In 1921 the company was re-organized and shortened its name to Gilfillan Brothers. 1921 also marked the year that Gilfillan entered the radio industry offering radio parts to amateur radio operators and wireless enthusiasts.

I would assume that since the envelope is printed .......Gilfillan Brothers Smelting and Refining Company.......instead of just .......Gilfillan Brothers.......that the kit was intended for Graham vehicles prior to 1921 unless Gilfillan Brothers continued to produce the automotive components as well as produce the radios they are well known for.

Anyone here know anyone that would know more about this Gilfillan radio company, I need to find out if they produced radios as well as the tool kits.

I have found several adds for the Connecticut company online, date on the one Bus showed was 1920, none of the other adds are dated, anyone have any company info? If I can find out that the company went out of buisness before 1923 lets say than I can better pinpoint the kit.

I am assuming that the envelope was doubled as a buisness card now, in other words you could have purchased the feeler gauges seperately and that is the envelopes original purpose but as times were tight back then it also served as the company card.

I am assuming that the card was placed in their when the kit was originally purchased and whoever purchased the kit ( or didnt purchase the kit, maybe its an off the shelf item ) never used it as I dont see any noticible signs of wear.

If it was purchased ( the more I think about it the more my second theory makes sense ) and then put away for a good number of years and when rediscovered or discovered whomever did the discovering had a high respect for the history and was carefull to not lose the card.

The truck where the tool kit was found was a half ton merchant express and it appears was purchased by the Crystal laundry company in Oakland California. The second owner purchased vehicle in 1954 from same company and it would appear after talking with his wife that he is the person to find the kit but then just put it back under the seat with all the old yellowed laundry tickets. I have seen pict. of where the truck was stored and it would appear that the gentleman was more of a collector rather than a restorer, it would seem that he just stored these vehicles in makeshift barns and lean-twos.

Third owner puchased truck in 2007 and I have pict. of him pulling it out of the lean two. That is when the truck and its electrical/ignition set was found and featured in the DBC newsletter Feb.Mar 09.

Papaw

Owner/Administrator

Administrator

Alvin, Texas

« Reply #12 on: Today at 06:41:01 am »Quote

Some history here, but doesn't seem to mention auto or truck radios- Gilfillan Bros.Inc.; Los Angeles (CA) manufacturer

A catalog here- Gilfillan Bros.Inc.; Los Angeles (CA) Radio Catalog

I can't be much more help than this.

Report to moderator Logged

Member of PHARTS - Pefect Handle Admiration, Restoration and Torturing Society

"If there are no dogs in heaven,then I want to go where they go."

Contributor

« Reply #13 on: Today at 06:50:58 am »Quote Modify Remove

Thanks for that, you are a help.........I had someone on the AACA forum ( a 36 owner ) tell me just a couple of days ago that he never responded to my request for tool info because he thought that he could not be of much help. I told him that in all this time he was the first to offer any sort of a picture and although as it has turned out some of the tools he thought were original to his car have turned out to be incorrect we have still both gained something by sharing.

I will look into the sites you suggest and go from their.

post-48869-143138535674_thumb.jpg

post-48869-143138535676_thumb.jpg

post-48869-143138535678_thumb.jpg

Edited by 1930 (see edit history)

• 10 months later...
1930, haven't forgot about you and will try to get the pictures of the tools to you in a couple of weeks when I take a few days off!! All the best!

Thank-you for keeping me in mind

• 7 months later...

Hello,

I'm trying to piece together a complete tool kit for my 1930 Plymouth Roadster. So far so good, I have about 1/2 the pieces and I've been using some of the photos from this post for reference. Anyway, I'd be interested in seeing any photos of 1930 Plymouth tools, although I assume they are pretty much the same as the Dodge ones shown earlier in this post.

Also, I mistakenly purchased a "5" wrench when I really just need the 1, 2, and 4 wrench, according to the owner's manual of my car. I've noticed the "5" is shown in some of the tool kits in this posting. If anyone is interested, I'll sell it for $10 OBO. I don't see too many of them and it would be great if it went to completing another tool kit instead of in someone's rusty tool box. PM me if interested or if you have more Plymouth tool info.

post-35687-143139235379_thumb.jpg

Hello,

I'm trying to piece together a complete tool kit for my 1930 Plymouth Roadster. So far so good, I have about 1/2 the pieces and I've been using some of the photos from this post for reference. Anyway, I'd be interested in seeing any photos of 1930 Plymouth tools, although I assume they are pretty much the same as the Dodge ones shown earlier in this post.

Also, I mistakenly purchased a "5" wrench when I really just need the 1, 2, and 4 wrench, according to the owner's manual of my car. I've noticed the "5" is shown in some of the tool kits in this posting. If anyone is interested, I'll sell it for $10 OBO. I don't see too many of them and it would be great if it went to completing another tool kit instead of in someone's rusty tool box. PM me if interested or if you have more Plymouth tool info.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]160591[/ATTACH]

I have some info and pictures that would help, please remind me in a day or so if I forget, I dont have time tonight to find what you need

Jason,

Interesting ingo on the tool kits. Again, a few of my friends came over with their 34's the other weekend and I sussed out if they had tool boxes in their cars. Both have Richards bodies and both have tool boxes. I took photos for you as I know your interested in this. Also, where their tool boxes are located in their cars, mine has the solid steel floor. Anyhow, food for thought.

Cheers

Ian

post-44589-143139236568_thumb.jpg

post-44589-143139236571_thumb.jpg

post-44589-143139236573_thumb.jpg

post-44589-143139236576_thumb.jpg

Thanks for the pics Ian, I cant help but wonder if at one point someone filled in your hole. Their boxes look to be in the same place as most of these early Dodges.

But then again I think I have contacted other 34 Budd bodied owners and they have not seen one either.

• 3 weeks later...

Hello,

Been away from the forum for a little while. I'd be interested if you have any additional photos of tools. I've seen all the ones in this particular forum and they are quite helpful, but I've still never seen a full 1930 Plymouth set. Thanks for anything you can provide.

Hello,

Been away from the forum for a little while. I'd be interested if you have any additional photos of tools. I've seen all the ones in this particular forum and they are quite helpful, but I've still never seen a full 1930 Plymouth set. Thanks for anything you can provide.

Will work on it

[ATTACH=CONFIG]160591[/ATTACH]

According to JBed's research the number 5 wrench was correct for the Dodge Brothers models DD to DO. Should be 15/16 and 1 inch.

Hello Hursst, what are you using for referance for you Plymouth tool-kit, as far as I know there is no such thing as a model specific parts book for Plymouth model prior to the early thirties with the exception of some Canadian versions which I have found.

Are you possibly using the 34 Master parts book and its numbers?

Post here what it is you are using, what you have found and I will see if I can help fill in some of the blanks.

• 2 months later...

Hello,

I'm transferring over from the "papawswrench.com" site. Guess I was talking to you all along and forgot abouyt this thread. Anyway, I wanted to see if you had photos available of your 1930 Plymouth tool kit and tool bag as a reference. I've been going off of what what listed in the original owner's manual and of misc photos I've seen of tools that were close to a 1930 Plymouth, like those on this post, but have never seen a proper set of 1930 Plymouth tools. thanks for any help you can provide.

Hello,

I'm transferring over from the "papawswrench.com" site. Guess I was talking to you all along and forgot abouyt this thread. Anyway, I wanted to see if you had photos available of your 1930 Plymouth tool kit and tool bag as a reference. I've been going off of what what listed in the original owner's manual and of misc photos I've seen of tools that were close to a 1930 Plymouth, like those on this post, but have never seen a proper set of 1930 Plymouth tools. thanks for any help you can provide.

Hello Hursst, I was incorrect about the parts book data that I mentioned in post # 101, I was recently digging thru some books looking for some truck info and I came across my 1928 Plymouth parts list, I have already scanned and submitted a copy of it to Tod Fitch's site and it can be seen here 1928 Plymouth Model Q Detailed Specifications I am going to be working on scanning the 29 Plymouth parts book I found as well and you will be able to view it there maybe in the near future, with these we can cross reference the numbers needed to determine what your car originally was equipped with.

Again I will ask you what you are using for a reference on your 1930 Kit, you must have a reference point and I would like/need to know what that is so I can give you the best possible help. Copies/scans of what you are using will help yourself and future Plymouth owners as well.

As I posted in my previous post, I am going off of the 1930 Plymouth 30U Owner's Manual to tell me which tools I need (these are just descriptions, such as "screwdriver"), then I've been referencing this post and google searching 1928-1932 Plymouth and Dodge tool kits to try to find something that is close to what's right. I have a small group of photos I found during a google search for what is supposed to be a 1928 Plymouth tool kit (I'm sure you have seen these photos in one of these forums) that is my primary reference. I have the master parts book from 1934 (I think, I can't get to it at the moment), but this just provides part numbers which can't be easily referenced against a part, since the tools were not stamped with part numbers from what I know. I'm just trying to piece it together and making assumptions. I could be wrong on my assumptions of what a correct "pliers" would be, for example.

The reason I am contacting you is that I am asking for some photos from you with regards to your post on "papawswrench.com" from May 21, 2011 which says " 1930 Plymouth Tool Kit: Picked this up recently, I have never seen one ( meaning the bag ) and prob. will never see another. I only know its correct from literature that I have collected describing it. Not a complete set I know but still gave me some great clues that I have been looking for on the wrenches themselves. One thing of major interest to me ( but I have noted this already a few times in the past on other items ) is the hub cap wrench being of a thinner stamping than early style ( 28/29 ) Chrysler really was looking for ways to save a dime. Seller sent me the bag for free, ( I dont know why people wish to seperate things anyway, all these years these tools have stuck with the bag and this lady is ready to just toss the bag ) she mentioned it to me in passing as being a bag in poor shape with many holes, I asked her for it and she threw it in with the set. If she only knew. :) Its got a couple small holes, cant even get my thumb in either one of them though. I have a 31 bag that has holes, this one has minor scrapes compared to it."

This posting tells me that you have a correct 1930 Plymouth tool bag and some tools that came with it. I'm asking for some photos of these items so I can learn what I need and if some of what I have is actually correct, if you're willing to spare the time, of course. I have far less information than you have on this subject and the info that I do have is probably nothing new to the members of this forum. I can post some photos of what I have collected in terms of the tools and the few reference photos I've seen so far and we can compare notes? I'm away from home at the moment, but should be able to post something within 24 hours. Thanks again!

As I posted in my previous post, I am going off of the 1930 Plymouth 30U Owner's Manual to tell me which tools I need (these are just descriptions, such as "screwdriver"), then I've been referencing this post and google searching 1928-1932 Plymouth and Dodge tool kits to try to find something that is close to what's right. I have a small group of photos I found during a google search for what is supposed to be a 1928 Plymouth tool kit (I'm sure you have seen these photos in one of these forums) that is my primary reference. I have the master parts book from 1934 (I think, I can't get to it at the moment), but this just provides part numbers which can't be easily referenced against a part, since the tools were not stamped with part numbers from what I know. I'm just trying to piece it together and making assumptions. I could be wrong on my assumptions of what a correct "pliers" would be, for example.

The reason I am contacting you is that I am asking for some photos from you with regards to your post on "papawswrench.com" from May 21, 2011 which says " 1930 Plymouth Tool Kit: Picked this up recently, I have never seen one ( meaning the bag ) and prob. will never see another. I only know its correct from literature that I have collected describing it. Not a complete set I know but still gave me some great clues that I have been looking for on the wrenches themselves. One thing of major interest to me ( but I have noted this already a few times in the past on other items ) is the hub cap wrench being of a thinner stamping than early style ( 28/29 ) Chrysler really was looking for ways to save a dime. Seller sent me the bag for free, ( I dont know why people wish to seperate things anyway, all these years these tools have stuck with the bag and this lady is ready to just toss the bag ) she mentioned it to me in passing as being a bag in poor shape with many holes, I asked her for it and she threw it in with the set. If she only knew. :) Its got a couple small holes, cant even get my thumb in either one of them though. I have a 31 bag that has holes, this one has minor scrapes compared to it."

This posting tells me that you have a correct 1930 Plymouth tool bag and some tools that came with it. I'm asking for some photos of these items so I can learn what I need and if some of what I have is actually correct, if you're willing to spare the time, of course. I have far less information than you have on this subject and the info that I do have is probably nothing new to the members of this forum. I can post some photos of what I have collected in terms of the tools and the few reference photos I've seen so far and we can compare notes? I'm away from home at the moment, but should be able to post something within 24 hours. Thanks again!

Yes sorry, I will help, sorry for my lack of response earlier, I have an awful lot of Dodge related stuff going on always. I have e-mails from people I am trying to assist backing up.

1930 Toolkit/Plymouth. I will see what I can come up with, please stay tuned

Hursst it would help if you shared these .......I have a small group of photos I found during a google search for what is supposed to be a 1928 Plymouth tool kit............and it would also save me the time of looking thru my 34 Playmouth master parts book if you would post the names and part numbers of the correct tools for your car......better yet, scan the page, highlight which tools on it you feel are correct and we can as you say work on this together.

I have a 29 Plymouth owner that I have been corresponding with recently, he is also curious about his original tool kit and I have invited him to get in on this with us, I hope to see him here.

Give me a little while here and I will re-post with hopefully some info that will help, I am not overly familiar with Plymouth but I do enjoy Plymouth guys so I am glad that I can help and again sorry for my tardy response, dont take it as as an indication of not caring, just very busy learning new Dodge things :)

Ok here is what I can do/might be the easiest way to approach this......I do not think that I have a 1930 Plymouth parts list, I do however have the 28,29 and a bunch of 34ups. Here is a scan of the tools list for 29 Plymouth, it is the model specific parts book so the information will be much more accurate than the masters you have.

Since neither of us however have the 30 model specific than I will ask you to take this 29 and compare it to what the 34 Master parts book says concerning how the numbers correspond between 29 and 30, if all the same tools than I think I can help/tell/give you some pretty good indications of what SOME of the original tools would have been for your Plymouth.

Please as mentioned scan the Masters Parts book tools page ( you will find that on 20-1 ) and high lite your tools so I can reference which part numbers would be the same between the 29 tools list I am attaching here.

Once I know what your correct numbers are I can cross reference then with what tools I know are correct from my Dodge info and help you with what I know.

I have found all of my Plymouth tool info and it is not a whole lot but I can show you a couple of things that I think you would find very interesting. No problem

Please also attach what pictures you mentioned finding on the net, remember I am a Dodge guy and I know Dodge but I will do what I can

post-48869-143141745017_thumb.jpg

Ok, looks like we're making progress. Nothing is more difficult than posting photos to this site. Here's 40 minutes of effort. This is from my owner's manual. More to follow.

7dcab108-4efc-4b81-a0e0-db5cf3caa945.jpg

Here is the 1934 master parts list for tools.

<a  href=%7Boption%7Dhttp://i592.photobucket.com/albums/tt7/hursst/100_0868A.jpg' alt='100_0868A.jpg'>

Here's the collection I've assembled so far. The starter crank came with the car, so I assume it is original.

<a  href=%7Boption%7Dhttp://i592.photobucket.com/albums/tt7/hursst/100_0865A-1.jpg' alt='100_0865A-1.jpg'>

Here are the reference photos I have from a 1928 Plymouth tool kit. I got these photos off of a Google search at some point in the last year, but I cannot discover the source anymore. This is mainly how I tried to copy the collection I have so far. Let me know your thoughts on what may be correct or incorrect.

post-35687-143141745413_thumb.png

post-35687-143141745545_thumb.png

post-35687-143141745601_thumb.png

post-35687-143141745655_thumb.png

post-35687-143141745685_thumb.png

I can post photos, it just takes a very long time to resize, send to photobucket and usually resize again, then the AACA posting software was not working for while. I think I can get it down to a reasonable amount of time now.

Yes, sorry, I didn't get to compare part numbers last night. The parts that share the same part number are the Auto Jack, the Auto Jack Handle, the Push Rod Wrench, and the Zerk Oil Gun. I can't match many of the tools, as your parts list just lists a part number for the whole kit, while mine lists each component and the part number for the whole kit, and those numbers don't match up. Just for reference sake, the tool kit numbers do match up for the 1929 Plymouth Model Q and your parts number list.

Another ( the other mentioned ) Plymouth owner is trying to make his way onto this site and this discussion, hopefully he will be able to do so, his name is Frank and here is his car and tools/info. 29 Plymouth U

According to Frank the Plymouth master parts book lists the 30 and the 29 as having essentially the same tools

ply exterior oct 2001.1.pdf

my ply tools.pdf

tool list Jan 1929.pdf

I can post photos, it just takes a very long time to resize, send to photobucket and usually resize again, then the AACA posting software was not working for while. I think I can get it down to a reasonable amount of time now.

Yes, sorry, I didn't get to compare part numbers last night. The parts that share the same part number are the Auto Jack, the Auto Jack Handle, the Push Rod Wrench, and the Zerk Oil Gun. I can't match many of the tools, as your parts list just lists a part number for the whole kit, while mine lists each component and the part number for the whole kit, and those numbers don't match up. Just for reference sake, the tool kit numbers do match up for the 1929 Plymouth Model Q and your parts number list.

Crap, I did not notice this......... I can't match many of the tools, as your parts list just lists a part number for the whole kit............Ok no problem, I will see what I can do

Jason (I finally noticed that you have a name),

The 1929 Q tools are the same for some of the U and 30U tools, but not for others. They made a lot of running changes, but I'm sure the parts are similar looking. Looks like Frank's wheel hub tool is the same as mine, at least. I don't have any wrenches yet, but I think all the numbered wrenches from 28 thru 32 appear to be the same.

That '29 is a beautful car! Thanks for the discussion so far, I think we're getting somewhere.

-Chris

One additional note, I bought most of my tools from one car tool specialist at Hershey. He has just about everything. I don't have their business card, but I'm sure I could track this place down; they had a huge space at Hershey.

I will work on this in the morning and tell you what I can. I have heard of this vendor at Hershey, contacted him one time looking for info

I am going to try and take one line at a time, spent most of the day at eye doctors but will do what I can here and just continue from there.

Hursst, is your car wood or wire wheel? I am going to assume you have wood wheels by the hubcap wrench.

It looks like according to the master parts book there were some variations of the wheel rim wrench, from the parts book can you tell which which car listed best describes your own car.

Better yet make a scan of the page within your master parts book, highlight the tools that best describes your model so I am not guessing and scan that copy and attach to this post.

Can you also explain to me why we have two different date master parts books for Plymouth, mine is original dated 1932 and then your dated 1934?

Maybe you have the answer to this maybe not, I plan to find the answer one way or another so I will ask the same question on this forum 28Q29U Plymouth Forum - Index

If you have never checked it out you may wish to do so

post-48869-143141748008_thumb.jpg

post-48869-143141748033_thumb.jpg

Wheel hub-cap wrench, 301808

I have made up individual file sheets for Dodge autos, its easiest for me to save/give the information this way. This is the same wrench as used on your Plymouth, I will ask you to spend your time as well and teach me something, I would like to see a pict. of your Plymouth hubcap and how exactly this wrench works with it.

post-48869-143141748055_thumb.jpg

Brake cylinder bleeder hose assy 51554, this was one of my prize finds, I have never seen one in person nor have I found another like it, normally I would not assume it was the real deal with finding only one example but after quite a few years of searching and finding no other I am just going to assume it anyway.

post-48869-14314174807_thumb.jpg

Brake cylinder bleeder hose....they say connector............I believe they mean to say gasket as in part # 51564 Brake cylinder bleeder hose gasket.

I have never seen one, do not have any clues whatsoever of its appearance.