Tools

Guest 1930

I was going to post this anyway for Phil but GermanDodge also inquired about tools thru P.M., this is at this point practically all I have to go by, it is the two pages from the 14-34 Dodge brothers master parts book. I hope this helps. If someone cant read it send me your e-mail and I can send it that way thru larger format

post-48869-143138185209_thumb.jpg

post-48869-143138185212_thumb.jpg

Can anyone tell me what this hubcap wrench was intended for? It was said to be a DA wire wheel hubcap wrench but as far as what I have been told wire wheel caps just pop off like a modern cap with the spring gimmick holding them on.

As far as I know DA wood wheel cars came with three different style caps, farthest left is a two piece style and as you can see it has a notch that this wrench fits into perfectly that would aid in its removal.

The cap in the middle is also a two piece with no notch.

The one furthest to right I have concluded was the earliest style, this one has a slightly larger outside diameter than the other two.

The first one to the left with the indentations ( on the backside for this wrench ) has a slightly wider band running its circumfrence but otherwise is identical to the other two when it comes to raised print.

So my question is once again what is the wrench that I have, what purpose would the large boxed end have, also the smaller closed hole in the middle is almost large enough to fit my oil drain plug screw but not quite.

Any ideas?

post-48869-14313818593_thumb.jpg

post-48869-143138185934_thumb.jpg

post-48869-143138185938_thumb.jpg

post-48869-143138185942_thumb.jpg

post-48869-143138185946_thumb.jpg

Edited by 1930 (see edit history)

• 1 month later...

Hoping that some of you 4 cyl guys can tell me if your wrenches are marked with any #s. I guess that you had at least three wrenches and according to master parts book they are listed as wrench No1 wrench No2 wrench No3......As far as I know and am still trying to put together with harder evidence the later 6 cyl wrenches were stamped with #s 1-4.....Did your wrenches share the same marks.....I have purchase the earlier wrenches off e-bay that were listed as 14-28 D.B wrenches and they are stamped circle M but I see no #s like I refer to with the later wrenches.......Thanks in advance....Jason

Jason, all the early wrenches I have are marked. The closest one to me is marked 9/16 on one end and 5/8 on the other, Q-6165 with the letter M in a circle. The very first of these are L wrenches, and I have some E's too. No idea what years the Q's and E's are from. Have 7/16, which is Q-6164 and 3/4 and 7/8, which is Q-1191 too. Four cylinder cars came with a sheet metal water pump and valve adjusting wrench too, no markings that I know of. OOps, and horn wrench too.

Yes the wrenches I have match yours in the way you describe them but I guess they were not marked 1-4 unless someone else has something to add.

• 2 weeks later...

Are there any DD-6 owners here that would be willing to send me a copy of their tools page from their owners manual assuming they have this page like the DA manual does.

Guest 1930

Working on wrenches and made friends with a fellow thats been collecting wrenches a long time, he has stuff that I have never seen but maybe someone here needs.

I have attached pictures here of some of his stuff, mostly Dodge I guess, Mostly early stuff.

DA owners might notice the correct wrench for their caps here, he has only three of these or maybe two now that I have one, not sure but these are VERY difficult to find ( thanks Doug ) so you might want to jump on it if you need it.

I have purchased some of these myself but let me know what you need he prob. has more of them. I guess he has buckets and buckets of this stuff but he dosent want me to give his name or # out or deal with anyone. Hope this helps someones car.

post-48869-143138207155_thumb.jpg

post-48869-143138207158_thumb.jpg

post-48869-14313820716_thumb.jpg

post-48869-143138207162_thumb.jpg

post-48869-143138207165_thumb.jpg

post-48869-143138207166_thumb.jpg

post-48869-143138207169_thumb.jpg

post-48869-143138207172_thumb.jpg

post-48869-143138207173_thumb.jpg

Guest 1930

I am trying to collect tool lists for cars between 28 and 38 so that we can all better understand what originally came with ours cars, anyone willing to scan theirs and send to me would help me to identify what tools would have originally came in their kits. Anyone that already knows has pictures or information that would like to share would also of course be welcome. My e-mail is jhason2@yahoo.com, thanks

Guest 1930

I am trying to locate a copy of the tool list of the 29-33 master parts book, I have the 14-34 but have witnessed different data in the 29-33. Anyone willing to scan and send me a copy would be much appreciated. My e-mail is jhason2@yahoo.com, thanks

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

Jason had asked me about the tools in my car thinking since I've had the car for 39 years that some of the tools might be original. He was especially wondering about the jack and jack handle. I've had the car in storage for 5 months for a remodel; the car isn't in the garage yet, but starting to bring in boxes of parts. The jack handle and a can of 1920's wax must be in the toolbox of the car, but these are the rest of the tools I've found. I told Jason my jack did not have exposed gears in it and that the base was flat, but with flared up sides. The handle folds and has a sheet metal sleeve that hold the pieces straight when using. The end of the handle is flared and installed at a slight angle into the jack, then straightened once inserted into the jack.....hope that makes sense. The wrenches have some markings. I don't know what the tool is with the large square end and the 3 open end wrench on the other end....also, don't know what the small square hole is at the end of the lug wrench. Enjoyed looking at everyone else's coments and photos.

post-56954-143138214479_thumb.jpg

post-56954-143138214484_thumb.jpg

post-56954-143138214489_thumb.jpg

post-56954-143138214494_thumb.jpg

post-56954-143138214499_thumb.jpg

Guest 1930

Never seen the tool with large square end, not an original tool that came with car as far a I know, small square hole on the end of the lug wrench is to loosen the clincher for your wheel rim, you will notice if you remove your wood wheel rim that the clincher has a formed square end that this tool fits into. As far as I know the jack is not original for the car, the handle is exactely as you describe though so will have to wait on pict. of that too comment. The wrenches I have sent you an e-mail asking for clearer pict.

I just bought a Kimball jack like is pictured in the DBC newsletter as for a '29-'50. It doesn't have exposed gears, has 1/2 square drive for the handle. It's screw jack, ad says there's ball bearings under the screw for make jacking easier. The only picture I've found shows a T handle, with two sections each about 2 feet long. Does anyone have a good picture of the handle? The ad with the handle I have is showing a teens or early twenties car. Not sure what is correct. My lug wrench has a piece on the end about 2 inches long, looks like half of a 1/2inch pipe. I'm guessing this is for the hubcaps on wire wheels. Anyone know for sure?

Guest 1930

Kimball jack as far as I know is incorrect for your car, that article should NEVER have been printed in the newsletter, it was stated in the first few sentences that it may be in error so bases were covered but still should not have been printed because it opened a can of worms. Kimball jack as far as I know is incorrect for 29/30 Dodge and as far as I know is incorrect for any Dodge car from 29 up to at least 32. Cant say after that or before that.

Someone can correct me if I am wrong but pretty sure that wont happen in this case.

Think about it, is anyone honestly supposed to believe that they used the same model jack from 1929 all the way to 1950. In this case it is absurd.

I dont know what the correct handle looks like for that jack, I dont know its application and that is where you might want to start, finding what it actually went with. Might be earlier Dodges used them, I dont have a pict. of what you have so I cant say.

I have attached here a pict. of the correct lug wrench for your DA with wire wheels, also you can see the base of the jack that you should be looking for if you want the correct one for your car. I can give you a full view if you want it. Let me know. I even have some spares now in different states of disrepair if you are interested I am sure I can make at least a couple from the few that I have.

post-48869-1431382148_thumb.jpg

That is the lug wrench I have. Do you know of any other use for the half pipe on the other end except hubcaps? The jack was cheap enough I don't care if it is absolutely correct or not. Would like to see the rest of your jack, what brand is it? Seemed odd that the magazine ad shows at least an early touring car, but the article said '29-'50.

Guest 1930

No I do not know of any other use, I dont have wire wheels so I have not looked into that lug wrench too much yet. The correct Jack for your car is Auto Specialties no 951. It will say in clear raised letters Auto Spec. MFG Co St Joseph Mich on one side and deadnaught NO 951 on the other side,

This jack has come from an extremely original DA, it is green in color, I have only seen them black, I believe this is the correct color for this jack, maybe not for all DA jacks but mine will be painted this color when I get that far because I feel it is correct.

If you are still curious look at the two pages of the master parts book that I posted on a previous entry, you will see what models ( or how many rather ) up to what point used this jack.

post-48869-14313821482_thumb.jpg

post-48869-143138214821_thumb.jpg

Guest 1930

Does anyone know if there is a later version of 27 master parts book after 9th edition. I though for some reason there was an 11th edition.

• 1 month later...

Does anyone have any info concerning THE IRON MOUNTAIN. It is eviently where Chrylser sends all relevent information once it becomes irelevent to the chosen few. Working with someone at Chrysler to gain access but it will prob. take someone that someone important at Chrysler gives a damn about.

• 4 weeks later...

Can anyone tell me in what year that Dodge started seeing service manuals again after Chryslers takeover. I am wanting to know the answer for Dodge Plymouth Desoto and Chrysler if anyone can answer this, thanks

• 9 months later...

Recently the club posted an updated article for D.B tools and its jacks. Information was gathered from Larry Olsen a gentleman that has been dealing with early auto jacks for many years. I had been looking for contact info for Larry for quite some time and finally came in contact with him a few months back.

A portion of the article made a statement that the A.S. # 951 jack was not a Dodge jack but was indeed intended for Studabaker, I have been collecting info concerning D. B. toolkits for some time now and was surprised to see this. I contacted Larry on it showed him ( and am still as we speak showing him ) what I have gathered and he has admitted to the mistake.

It would appear in my opinion that Studabaker also used the 951, it would appear that the 951 was used pretty extensively by a few auto manuf. from at least 29-sometime in 31 if not after. The jacks were identical in appearance right down to SJ numbers but the tops were different.

The last thing to go on any jack was its top, it would appear at this point that there were at least two different tops avail for this jack but there may have been others, it would also appear that there were two different drives for this jack, a square drive and the tang, it is my opinion that the square drives may have been an earlier version and the later used the tang.

I have submitted pict. here to show the variation of tops, The flat top as I call it would have been used apparently under a spring support on Studebaker which evidently was machined solely for this purpose, the radiused top matches a radiused perch on the rear axle of at least my own Dodge and I am sure many others and also fits the cast radiused portion of front axle much more closely than the flat topper.

Larry has asked me to help him refine a letter of correction to the club and to also help identify some other points of interest concerning toolkits/jacks. He has spent a much greater deal of time on this subject than I so of course I am honored to do so. Larry knowedge is much broader than my own with many different makes while I have spent my efforts focused only on Dodge toolkits.

It will unfortunately take years to erase the damage that will be caused by this latest article but it was of course unintentional. There was another article which I mentioned in a previous post concerning toolkits in general that covered an immense expanse of years which was completely bogus. I have personally seen tool dealers use this article to sell their garbage and have included the article with the tools to purchaser but have cut out the portion of the article that states that there was a hesitation to publish this due to lack of credibility. I am sure if there is a published correction made toward this article there will still be guys using either of the articles to suit their own personall needs.

post-48869-14313852424_thumb.jpg

Guest danceswithpumps

Here's some pics of my hub cap wrench for my DA's wooden wheels. I don't find any markings on it but have always been with the car since dad bought it from a neighbor in 1952.

Rod

20110328140353.jpg

20110328140410.jpg

20110328140419.jpg

1930 - Here are all the tools I have come across. Not sure which ones actually belong. I believe the jack is original (the short stubby one) along with the tire iron shaped like a bent L. I'm not sure which longer bar goes with it. There was also a bumper jack in the trunk, but I don't think that is original. I'm assuming the tire iron that is an X is not original.

For fun, I have included a couple of shots of the spare tire, which appears to be original (both tire and rim). I have included a close up shot of the detail painting on the tire. I'm not sure why the decorative paint stood up over all these years, but the rest of the wheel rusted. What color was the rest of the wheel?

post-75296-143138529052_thumb.jpg

post-75296-143138529072_thumb.jpg

post-75296-143138529094_thumb.jpg

Guest 1930

That square drive handle and jack prob. would have been original for the car, can I get some better photos/measurements/details ? My e-mail is jhason2@yahoo.com If you send me an e-mail that I will send you a list of what I am after.

I would say that the pinstripe looks original but surprised to see it on a spare, maybe that was not a spare but in regular use at one point. Nice picture either way and pics like that will help more people than you might guess.

I dont know the original color of the wheel

Guest 1930

Any 36 owners with an instruction book that maybe has a tools list they would share? Also I have a poor factory pict ( very poor ) of the original toolkit nestled in its tool compartment. It is actually from a 35 brochure entitled........ there are some surprises for 1935 ...... has anyone seen anthing like this that they would share with a clearer pict.

Where was the tool compartment on 35 or 36 cars? Can I get a pict.

D-2 if I already asked you this via P.M. and for some reason I think I may have than please enlighten me one more time.

Hi Jason,

I don't think I ever replied to your request for info because I did not know how much help I could be. I am the third owner for my car and all I have for tools that came with the car are the jack, the jack handle (crank), lug nut wrench (with clutch alignment tool end?) and the long engine crank. No hand tools were with the car. I was hoping to hear more from your research as to what those tools would be so I could put together a set. I have seen this same jack in two 1936 Dodge 4Dr Touring Sedans though.

Here are a couple photos of the tools (and some of mine) under the front seat springs where they are kept. I can do better with the photos if you need. This is the only set I have at hand right now.

EDIT ---> Some more data has been found. The last photo is of a Jack and Jack Handle found in the trunk of another '36 Dodge 4Dr Touring Sedan. The lineage of this car is unknown but the impression I had of it was that it went through at least four owners if not more. This Jack is of the bottom winder style commonly used on bumper brackets or possibly spring mount pads at the ends of the straight axles. The handle is a collapsible two piece operation that has a much longer reach than the one in the first two photos.

post-67404-14313852925_thumb.jpg

post-67404-143138529265_thumb.jpg

post-67404-143138537534_thumb.jpg

Edited by 1936 D2
New Data! (see edit history)

"2nd Owner",

The tires and rims are right for your car. The size is 6.00x16. The cars came with "Goodyear Diamond Tread" tires (as seen in the "Life" magazine ad with Shirley Temple standing on the running board) but were usually replaced with "Allstates" for both a quieter ride and cheaper cost, I am told, the first time they need replacing. The rims have 14 spokes trimmed with a pin stripe. The color of the wheel is usually the body color (Dolphin Gray in your case apparently) with an offsetting pinstripe and center star-burst color. (But I have seen some different - like the colors reversed on the wheels, etc.) Keep track of what you can on the original colors and combinations of your wheels' trim! The spares were fully painted wheels with full size tires matching the car's tire brand. (Not like today where they give you a can of "Plugs All" and a cheap air pump. No spare at all!!!)

Edited by 1936 D2
Added data (see edit history)

Still a novice here, but my guess on the lug nut wrench with the tappered end was it was used to hold the wheel in place when putting the wheel on the car since the hubs don't have threads and bolts are used. Mine fit perfectly into the holes on the wheel.

Sounds like a very good possibility! There is so little info on these tools. I can really appreciate what "1930" is researching!

Thanks for the info! ;)

Still a novice here, but my guess on the lug nut wrench with the tappered end was it was used to hold the wheel in place when putting the wheel on the car since the hubs don't have threads and bolts are used. Mine fit perfectly into the holes on the wheel.

My '36 had that tapered wrench and I, too believe that it is a wheel/drum alignment pin.

Guest 1930

Quote........I don't think I ever replied to your request for info because I did not know how much help I could be.....................There hasnt been too much interest in 36 tools from anyone until now so any input is better than no input.

There seemed to be so little interest from 36 owners that I spent little time on these cars, I even thought D-2 was the model nomenclature because of your screenname but now that I have cracked open some of my info and looked at it I see it is D-U so you got me again. :P

I have some questions now I am hoping you or J-page ( or anyone else ) can help with and I will seperate them by posts so there is less confusion.

I have 36 Dodge parts list, does it come from a master parts book or is this a year specific parts book.

post-48869-143138529628_thumb.jpg

Guest 1930

I have this one also, what is 2009 ideationpro. Where might this one have come from, its info does not match the info on the previous submission.

post-48869-143138529639_thumb.jpg

Guest 1930

D-2, the portion of your box that appears to lift out via removing the wingnut, what is this access for, I am assuming that all 3 sections lift out, is that correct or is it just the bottom portion.

Second owner is going to send me some better photos showing measurements of his ( what would appear to be at this point ) original jack handle and lug wrench, can you do the same so they can be compared. Maybe lay them out seperate on something flat and snap a couple of detail photos with tape measure running under. Also your engine crank showing a clearer picture by itself with a tape measure running across it to show its length.

Also some more pict of your jack and a desc. of any identifying marks. There might be an SJ number found it it somewhere, is it a Kimball?

My e-mail is jhason2@yahoo.com Thanks

Guest 1930

I have an instruction book for 36 4th edition May 1936 and I dont see a tools list, can you tell me how many editions there were in 36 and if they are all identical.

Not to change the subject and thanks for the inputs but D-2, would they have pinstriped the original spare and would the spare be painted same color as the in-use wheels. I just want to be clearer.

OK. Let me try to go through what I can at this point. Then I will try to add book page scans and item photos later.

"1930" - Again, thanks for all your work on this subject! It is a thing everyone thinks about at some point but "no one really knows" - until now! :D

I reference to your post #76:

- "D2" IS the model designator for the domestic 1936 Dodge (There were also D2X models made domestically and exported. And there were D3 and D4 models made in Canada as I understand.) "DU" is the designator for the domestic 1935 Dodge.

- The first photo you showed is of the year specific "Dodge Passenger Car Parts List - 1936 Model Series" with the lighter blue cover. I have a "Dodge Passenger Car Preliminary Parts List - 1936 Model Series" released Nov 15th 1935. The tools are listed in Group 20-1 of that book but is more abbreviated than the page in your photo from, apparently, the full version. (The "Preliminary" parts manual is cool because it indicates which parts are "new for 1936"" by the part numbers!)

- I have never seen the "ideationpro" material before. I do not know the source of that data. I would trust your other photo's info more.

- The "box" portion is the battery box lid access panel. The battery is under the driver's seat. The battery box has a metal lid that is tapered on all four sides to come up to this access hatch. You remove the two wingnuts to access the battery cell fillers easily. You have to take off the whole lid to access the battery posts though.

- I will remove the tools I have and photo them with scale once I can get back out to my car. I will look for any markings on the jack. Watch for more later.

- I do not know for sure how many editions there are for Parts Manuals and Maintenance Manuals. I do know my "Preliminary Parts Manual" is early, around the time the first 1936 cars were being built. Then there was a "real" one that I seem to recall was released in about March of 1936. That is probably where the photo of the "Group 20" page came from that you have shown here. Looks very much like mine. Same font and layout, etc.

- The spare was a full version of what was on the car. It had the same paint scheme and tire as the four that the car was riding on when delivered. My spare had the apparently original "Goodyear Diamond Tread" tire mounted on it, that I think it came with, when I bought the car in 1984 from the second owner. I am not sure if I kept that tire or not. Seems like I may have but my memory fails me right now. The only thing the spare did not have was any of the stainless trimmings like a hub cap or beauty ring. Other than that it was just like those on the car. (Now you don't see that very much anymore!) :rolleyes:

More later...

Guest 1930

I have a preliminary Feb. 1 35 ( and a bunch of earlier ones ) parts list if that is ever needed, Have you ever seen the page attached here, it was mentioned in one of my previous posts, it would be a big help if I could find someone with a clearer pict that I can blow up.

post-48869-143138530235_thumb.jpg

Sorry. I have never seen that ad page. It is very interesting though.

The "tool compartment" looks like the passenger side section of the under seat compartment similar to the photos I attached in an earlier post. Like you said, the print you have is pretty bad though for any detail. Sure looks like the seat compartment though. :cool: