Tools

Guest 1930

Does anyone have any info at all on D.B tools, specifically I would like someone to give me a picture of every tool that the 29/30 Da car came with but I wont hold my breath. I am however wondering what other sort of info I can gather about the tools in general. Do the tools have part #s clearly marked anywhere on them, how would I distinguish a correct tool from an incorrect if there are no part #s stamped into them.

Does anyone have any pictures of original D.B tools of the approximate era that I am trying to research. Any other info would be appreciated.

I have no pics of any of the few tools I got with my car. I have a T shaped, rod is bent back on itself and then bent at a 90, lug wrench. The hubcap wrench depended whether you had wood or wire wheels. I have a drawing somewhere of the jack,but have never seen a real one. I also have an official water pump wrench that I got from a friend. They were stamped from sheet metal. I've had some laser cut to sell if anyone wants one. They fit other hrysler products of the era. The DA water pump is difficult to adjust with anything else, the bend of the factory wrench fits just perfect. I will look through a STACK of info, maybe I have some pics of other wrenches.

Do they or are they supposed to have #s on them, do any 31 tools have #s them? I am trying to figure out a way to identify the correct tools if there is one.

A lot of the wrenches had numbers on them. They usually started with a "Q" and then some numbers. The screwdrivers were usually a dark blue wood handle. Some Chrysler tools were similar to the 1929, 1930 and 1931 Dodge tools. Here is a full set from a restored 1931 Chrysler CD8 roadster.

post-37352-143138168662_thumb.jpg

Thanks for that picture. I have always been under the impression that the newsletter had an article at one point that showed the DA toolkit or what was thought as being that. I have been told that several times from guys on e-bay that I had inquired to about the tools they were selling that they got their info from that same newsletter.

Doug does not remember it but he said that he will look into it for me, thanks again, great picture. Must be Davids stuff I am guessing

Thanks for that picture. I have always been under the impression that the newsletter had an article at one point that showed the DA toolkit or what was thought as being that. I have been told that several times from guys on e-bay that I had inquired to about the tools they were selling that they got their info from that same newsletter.

Doug does not remember it but he said that he will look into it for me, thanks again, great picture. Must be Davids stuff I am guessing

The CD8 stuff is from a "calendar car" that a friend of mine by the name of Harry DeMenge in Chula Vista, California owned. The reason I call it a calendar car is because it was an AACA Senior Award winner and was photographed for a calendar. It is blue and black and beautiful.

OK, I found SOME of it. There was a three part article back in '96/'97 about tools. I guess I never read the third part before as at that time I didn't have a six cylinder car. It lists PART numbers for the DA tools, way too many for my two fingured typing. The jack that John shows a picture of is similar to the drawing I have, which I can't find right now.

Here is a full set from a restored 1931 Chrysler CD8 roadster.

The one I've flagged in your pic looks to be the special wrench for adjusting optional Trippe driving lights. I'm on the hunt for one, but not at eBay's recent prices.

Ok...tomorrow I'm going to have to dig down in one of the boxes that came with my 32. I was told the original tool kit is lurking in there. Stay tuned...

post-61720-143138168684_thumb.jpg

Well, I dug out the old tools from the box and here they are in all their rusty glory!

The cloth-wrapped wrenches and pliers were in a plastic bag labeled "original 32 Dodge tool kit," and, with the rest of the history of this car so well-known, I'd tend to believe that message.

Some details:

The only wrench with anything on it is the largest one, which simply has a "5" stamped into the middle of one side.

The pliers have stamped around the pivot pin: HARROLD USA

The jack says: AUTO SPEC MFG CO, ST JOSEPH MIC, NO 941, S J 1230. There's a slot in the star wheel where some sort of handle goes to crank up the jack, but that seems to be missing. Also missing is a screw driver and a tire iron (or two), but maybe those were bought separately?

The spark plug socket fits into the angled socket wrench (which seems puny for lug nuts, but haven't tried it yet).

Also didn't dare try the pump!

I'm curious to hear if any of these match others' findings?

post-61720-143138169259_thumb.jpg

post-61720-143138169262_thumb.jpg

post-61720-143138169265_thumb.jpg

post-61720-143138169268_thumb.jpg

Phil, what is the rest of the history of the car, I would also like to know that there is little doubt that these tools are original to your car. Thanks for posting the pictures, its best I am sure that you got them out of that plastic bag anyway.

Jason...here are the tools for my 1931 DH6. Looks like I have all of them. One of the flat wrenches does have the number "5" on it. I have the "spoon" type tire iron, too. The jack says "S122" on it. The first photo shows the wire wheel car set. The difference I have found from the wood wheel set is the lug wrench for the wood wheel car (shown in the second photo) has the flat tab that fits into the rim to "shrink" it for tire dismounting. I have the pliers and screwdriver lying around somewhere. John

post-37352-143138169279_thumb.jpg

post-37352-143138169283_thumb.jpg

Edited by keiser31 (see edit history)

Phil, what is the rest of the history of the car...

The story that I got from Sandy Jones was that it was originally bought in Hershey, PA (of all places!) and then driven home to Rochester, NY where it was the family's pride and joy until they retired to FL and brought it with them.

When they died, their son acquired the car and put it in storage for many years. He sold it to a fellow who moved it to CA who may have done a little fixing up, and then stored it in a garage for a bunch of years.

In 2008, Sandy found it out in CA, tracked down the owner, bought it, had it trucked to CO and then set about cleaning it up, getting the motor running, repairing the brakes, having the starter, generator, gas tank, sending unit, fuel pump and carb professionally rebuilt. He put on a set of new tires, too. He's a stickler for keeping things as original as possible...fixing rather than replacing. He loved the car. The only reason he parted with her is that he needed the space (and funds) to fix up a 1933 Buick limo he subsequently bought.

What hasn't been done is any restoration work other than a new vinyl roof and interior headlining. Everything else seems to be original except for the Carter BB-1 carb which was a common, better-working replacement back in the day. At some point (I'd guess in the 50s or 60s) someone repainted the car, but it's starting to wear thin and come off in spots revealing the original slightly darker, greener gray which I think was called Mercedes Drab.

This car's lived a pretty soft life and has only 47K miles on the odometer.

Sandy has passed along my email address to the son, whom I hope to hear from soon so I might get even more details!

Here are some pics from the car's past: one shows it in a car show while it still was registered with NY plates, and the other has a neighbor in a 50s cheesecake pose. Good stuff!

post-61720-143138169292_thumb.jpg

post-61720-143138169295_thumb.jpg

Thanks for the info Phil and the pict. John, Here I am stirring the pot a little but I wonder who has the original jack, according to my book you should both have the same. It was the same for DA except canadian, DD DE DF DC except canadian, DH DI DJ DG domestic and wire wheels Exp., DL DK DM DP DO DQ....I dont know what the Exp stands for???

Guest germandodge

Hi everyone

I read this thread today and I find it very interesting. Can someone tell me which tools came with a Dodge Senior Six 1st generation and what sizes the wrenches were in the tool bag.

Thank you!

germandodge

• 2 weeks later...

Guys,

Here's another good reason to belong to the Dodge Brothers Club. Our excellent DBC News editor John Bittence did a 12 part series of articles on DB Approved tools some years ago. I just went back and down loaded 35 pages of info. Part 1 Jun/Jul '96 Questions, part 2 Oct/Nov '96 wrenches& sockets, part 3 Dec/Jan '97 generic tools, part 4 Feb/Mar '97 misc. tools, part 5 Apr/May '97 wheel/hub/rim, part 6 Aug/Sep '97 jacks, part 7 Oct/Nov '97 tire pumps, part 8 Feb/Mar '98 grease/oil, part 9 Apr/May '98 ign/horn, part 10 Apr/May '99 14-27 tool bag, part 11 Apr/May '00 '28 and up tool bag, part 12 Apr/May '00 starting cranks. So get a CD of DBC News back issues and check it out.

Rodger "Dodger" Hartley

• 2 weeks later...

German Dodge!!!

Somehow I missed your question on the tools subject, did you ever get that answered yet?? If not I will see what I can come up with. Let me know

Thanks to RAH for sending me those copies of the tool article, I have been chomping at the bit trying to get that so I can get some tools for my car.

I plan to reproduce the jack handle for the 29/30 DA all cars after DA 5533 except canadian, also fits DH DJ Dom., DL DK DM DP DQ for myslef and Phils 32. John Keiser has graciousely offered to loan me his as an example. If anyone else would like one let me know. There will be no charge except materials and of course shipping assuming I do not have to sublet any of the work to someone else. ( fat chance on that ) My e-mail is jhason2@yahoo.com

Hoping someone can explain something to me and that is this hubcap wrench I purchased. I was told it was part # 301808 used on all wire wheels and according to master parts book that # is a wire wheel hubcap wrench but in the articles that the Dodge brothers club put out some years ago it explains it as such... Hubcap wrench 301808 for DA wire wheels plus all DD DA DF DH DI DJ DG. Its 9 inch long. The center hole is for spindle and drain plug. The closed end is for grease caps: the open end is for wood wheel hubcaps. ....Did this wrench service both wood and wire wheels??

Also in the master parts book it lists a # of 44913 for Da wood or disk wheels.

I am confused, why would they make two different wrenches for wood wheels if I am interpreting the book correctly.

I bought it just to hopefully trade someone for a wood wheel hubcap remover but maybe I already have it?

The jack handle Keiser already showed in a prior post on page 2 I think of this thread, it is with the rest of the tools from his car. How can I get a picture of the two wrenches you are talking about, do you have what you think or know is an original screwdriver?

This is prob. the most complete original set of tools for DA that i have ever seen, unfortunately the guy sold the car as far as I know a few years back, even when he had it he did not seem to have much time ( or interest ) to send me pict so I am prob lucky and gratefull to have the few I do. It was one of very few 2 dr sedans I have seen. Anyway pretty clearly shows same jack handle Keiser has, matches desc. of DA folding handle and matches a couple of other pict I have that I will post in next reply.

Guess it kinda crappy because of size limitations I have here but if anyone wants a full size version let me know and I can e-mail it.

post-48869-14313818421_thumb.jpg

Heres another and I have one or two more, this car may have been sold just recently on e-bay, if anyone knows where it is I would appreciate letting me know. Look carefully under the seat and you will see same jack handle just rusting away.

post-48869-143138184503_thumb.jpg

I guess my next question is and maybe someone can answer is how the heck did these cars go down the road and not sound like they were coming apart, with some of these long tools and heavy jack. The driveshaft hump in the middle of the toolbox wouldnt allow anything long to sit flat!!! Might always be a mystery.

Heres another and I have one or two more, this car may have been sold just recently on e-bay, if anyone knows where it is I would appreciate letting me know. Look carefully under the seat and you will see same jack handle just rusting away.

I'm skeptical that those folding handles will fit my jack since my jack has a rectangular slot for the handle in the star wheel, while the one John shows in his picture seems to have a square hole. The folding handle appears to have a standard socket wrench end complete with spring-loaded ball?

The jack that came with my car may not even be an original issue for the 1932s? Here's the picture again.

post-61720-143138184512_thumb.jpg

Maybe John can post a pict. of his end, I thought it looked rectangular

I took the liberty of zooming in on that picture John posted of his tool set so you can see the square shape of the handle end and the square opening it fits into on the jack.

Look right John?

post-61720-143138184521_thumb.jpg

Does anyone have any info about Auto Specialties Manufacturing Companies jacks or any other auto tools they may have produced specifically but not limited to the late 20s. Trying to find out what other manufacturers besides Dodge used the No 951 jack that I have so that I can broaden my search and hopefully find the correct handle.

Pretty sure that this company did not solely sell to Dodge Brothers in other words. Thanks<!-- google_ad_section_end -->