1926-32 Pontiac Engine Wanted

Guest mulchman

Guest mulchman

Hello I am looking for running 1926-32 Pontiac flat head six cylinder engine, split head 186 or 200. I would prefer the north east if possible I am from Allentown, PA. It is for my 1929 GMC T-14 panel truck. I am also looking for the parts to rebuild my original engine, but would like a running engine to install until that is complete. Please be sensible with the price and contact me with any info. Thank you Rick.

610-760-0691 mulchman@ptd.net<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

• 6 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...

If you have a choice the 200 cu in engine is much superior in power.  I have owned a Pontiac sedan for each year from 26-32.  All were good cars but the 29-32 cars would run at 55 mph all day and top out at nearly 70, where as the 26-27 and 28(early) were really 40-45 mph vehicles with about a 50 mph max.

Tinindian is correct in that the 1930 motor is the best choice because it's slightly longer stroke gives it a higher usable rpm range. But either would work well for around town in your Panel. 

That said, the 26 to mid '28 motors were designed with a very short stroke meaning low rpm, but great for use in the 35-45 mph range (most common then).  However,  they also used a milder 4.18 axle ratio, and that is more the key to greater speeds if that is what is desired.  The 200 cube motor of late '28 and up used a tall 4.42 axle.  The results were that the 186 cube cars were good for a steady 45 mph, the 200 cube combination  (slightly limited on top end with the bigger gear) was good for about 10-12 more mph at reliable cruise speeds, but the 200 also had GREAT inner city pickup and this was always Pontiac's goal early on.  Anyone crazy enough to try speeds over 60 mph with one of these '26-30 era cars today should keep their feet off the floorboards for fear of flying parts, and prey the wood wheels hold up.  But if top end IS your goal, try the 200 cuber, the early '28 reared (improved from '27) with the milder gear, and use a couple inch taller tire.  

However,  I do not think speed is Mulchman's goal.

Edited by 28pontiac (see edit history)