T-Head

Period Photo Thread

Here's my favorite period photograph. Across the top is written "Traffic Squad Parade ... Arrival Mayor McClellan". Additional information found with this photo states; "Traffic Squad Parade, November 5, 1908. Mayor George McClellan alighting from auto on the plaza at Union Square. 5x7 glass negative, George Grantham Bain Collection. "Max" McClellan, New York mayor from 1904 to 1909, was the son of Civil War general George B. McClellan." I enjoy the photo's composition, and when viewed at full size, the photo's clarity really gives it depth.

Traffic%20Squad%20Parade,%20November%205,%201908.%20Mayor%20George%20McClellan%20alighting%20from%20auto%20on%20the%20plaza%20at%20Union%20Squa.jpg

Great thread! Here's a pair of photos taken in Washington D.C. in 1924. I'll let the June 15 edition of the Washington Post do the explaining:

"General Motors Company Arranges Striking National Demonstration"

"Approximately 35 of the leading cities of the United States, Washington included, are to witness one of the most novel demonstrations ever conducted by an automobile factory through the enterprise of the Buick Motor Company, Flint, Mich., according to L. M. Landrick, local branch manager."

"A General Motors truck, especially built body for the job in hand and fitted at each side with hinged platform, which when let down, furnish an adequate stage for exhibitions on a coast-to-coast tour of approximately 9,000 miles, Mr. Landrick said. A Buick car is to be built openly before the public on the platform fitted to the truck entirely from the stock of the local Buick branch or distributing house."

"At each of the points where a demonstration is arranged, a compete chassis will be built and driven away on its own power. This is literally carrying the Buick factor to the consumer and is certain, it is thought, to attract a great attention everywhere."

post-56358-143138152222_thumb.jpg

post-56358-143138152225_thumb.jpg

This is a photo of Walkers garage in Manchester Vt. circa 1926. The town has been a vacation town since the RR came there being so attractive and surrounded by mountains. The Walkers had a farm there that they sold to President Lincoln's son and moved to the depot in the 1880s. They first sold bicycles and then brought the first car in town and gave visitors tours of the area. I will post the a neat photo of the car later along with the sign that I have on my shop wall.

If you have any great photos please post them and hopefully we can get this thread to become something wonderful. Thanks, T- Head.

post-65489-143138152238_thumb.jpg

Walkers Garage Part II:

The photo of the limo is I believe a Rochet - Schnider and I would guess that it is from the 1905-10 era. If it is one it was made in France and was a very quality marque and must have cost the Walkers a large sum as it was a very expensive and high quality automobile.

They picked people up at the train station and delivered them to the Mt. Equinox Hotel which still exists. I am also told by the historical society there that they would rent out the car w/a driver for tours of the area which is very scenic.

The second photo is the sign off of the garage that is one of my most highly prized possessions and I have it hanging on the wall here in my shop. It is 8 ' X 16".

post-65489-143138152279_thumb.jpg

post-65489-143138152283_thumb.jpg

Another favorite photo. A typical of the period speedster evidently made up by these fellows. I believe it is a small early Peerless and I would venture a guess that they constructed it the building behind it as the glass door window is lettered Office - Garage.

They either were not to very fussy or were in a hurry as there is no front hubcap on it which is exposing the bearing to dirt !!!

post-65489-143138152284_thumb.jpg

This picture dates to 1921, as does the car. It is a Birmingham, of which very few were made. The body is covered in an alligator-style material.

Birmingham Motors succumbed to a stock and mail fraud charge and never recovered, and it is believed that no cars survive today.

The lovely lady behind the wheel is Ms. Margaret Gorman, the first Miss America.

post-56358-143138152309_thumb.jpg

Keiser......Great photos !! Your grandmother had good taste and must have proud of both the car and the beautiful coat. The car I believe instead of being a LaSalle is 1929 Cadilliac my very favorite car from the classic era.

Both of those makes from 1927-29 being styled by Harley Earl in my eye are just wonderful to look at. Thanks for sharing.

I was talking with a nice old guy at the Mercer Reunion last summer and he had a copy of this photo which he said was taken on Jacksonville Beach Fla.

I believe it is a 1913 -14 Mercer 35-J which has been fitted with a custom racing body and hood. Can anyone identify this car ? Who is the driver ? What year ? Where speed events run on that beach also ? Look at the choice of a number !

post-65489-143138152353_thumb.jpg

This is an interesting photo to study. It captures the scene outside of a subway fire in New York, on January 6, 1915. On the right, we see a Buick dealership with two gentlemen standing outside on the second story ledge! Across the street from Buick is located the Fisk Tire Company, "When it's ..... time to re-tire". Barely visible next to Fisk, behind the white horses, is the Ford Motor Company. In the foreground we see a couple of autos, one with a placard bearing PDNY and another with FDNY. Between these autos is a horsemounted police officer. Across the street is a line of autos with long wheelbases - possibly ambulances? On the far right is a Ford with large bell mounted curiously close to the driver (must have been loud). All of the vehicles in the photo appear to have chains on the rear tires for winter driving. Pretty neat...

Automobile%20Row%20-%20%20Broadway%20at%20West%2055th%20Street.%20Another%20view%20of%20the%20January%206,%201915,%20subway%20fire%20in%20New%20York..jpg

Something is missing here. Photos of beautiful cars just don't seem to be complete without some beautiful women. So, here is a period photo that should fill that void. No explanation is needed for this photo, as it pretty much speaks for itself...

prohibition.png

Here is another of my great aunt (nearest the rear fender) a few years later with her daddy's Chrysler...sexy, huh?

post-37352-143138152376_thumb.jpg

First off Happy New Year to everyone and thanks so much for supporting this new thread and sending in some wonderful photos.

Keep them coming and let's see if we build this into a wonderful archive of pre WWII photos that everyone can enjoy.

Can anyone help identify this 1911 - 14 Mercer Racing car ? It is one of two things, either a 24 Hr. endurance racer or possibly a desert racer. The 24 Hr. Races were popular at the time and held on dirt tracks. The Desert races were mostly from LA and ran east non stop thru the night. The add on search light has a lever so the navigator could swivel it and it has an added on tank on the drivers side which was probably for extra oil. There originally was a 3-4 gallon oil tank on the passengers side of the gas tank, but they may have used it for more fuel instead. Photo from the Tim Kuser collection.

post-65489-143138152796_thumb.jpg

Edited by T-Head (see edit history)

A few more...my father-in-law, Vince Claflin, my great uncle and his Essex, my great uncles and their Essexes and my grandmother on her dad's Dodge.

post-37352-143138152809_thumb.jpg

post-37352-143138152811_thumb.jpg

post-37352-143138152816_thumb.jpg

post-37352-143138152818_thumb.jpg

A great photo that shows why they won the NY to Paris race in 1908. They followed the rules and were sportsman. The Thomas in arriving in Alaska, what a great image, study the faces.

post-65489-143138152837_thumb.jpg

Here are a couple of my favorites. These are original 8x10 photos. Sure wish I knew who the pretty lady is - Alice Ramsey???

post-30751-143138152957_thumb.jpg

post-30751-143138152962_thumb.jpg