poci1957

Buick/Olds/Pontiac Police Cars

Along about 1972, I was in a junior college government class. In that class was police officer from a neighboring town. Later he went to work for the TX Dept of Public Safety (at that time). He was working out of the same neighboring town.

Once, his regular patrol car (a Plymouth or Dodge) had to go in for service, so they pointed him toward an old, slightly unmarked Plymouth at the back fence of their lot. He kind of turned his nose up at it, but IT was all he had. He got in and got it fired off. It ran a little ragged, but it ran. He was babying it for general principles (older and with "miles" on it), but when he met a speeder, his reflexes took over. He made a U-turn, hit the lights, and floored the throttle. What happened next was totally not expected by him. Seems the 383 4bbl came to life, the TorqueFlite went into action, and pushed him back in the seat like his regular car did not. By the time he was near the top of 2nd gear, he had caught the speeder, who wondered "Where'd YOU come from?" That was the LAST time he questioned the mettle of an older Mopar police car, possibly even wanting to put his regular car in the shop more, knowing he'd have that Old Plymouth as his backup vehicle.

Enjoy!

NTX5467

I love this. I retired from LAPD. When you asked for a back those 383 Belvederes were music to your ears....'68/'69's

I have a 1961 Ford Police car brochure,  I'll try to post pictures of to this thread when I get it listed in the next month or so on ebay.  I already sold a 62 brochure last year and didn't think of it at the time.

The speed limiter was just one byte. The secret was which byte.

ps I remember toodling along the Sunshine State Parkway in the late 60's in an E-type with the top down at 70ish when another car passed moving a bit faster. In my rearview I saw an FHP cruiser make a fast U-turn with headlights wobbling a bit. Caught up with me and just as he passed going considerably faster I heard that 440 change note as it shifted. Nothing quite like it.

Was said at the time that one requirement the FHP had was at least a 140 top end.