VIN info 58 Firesweep

Guest TWIN FINS

Guest TWIN FINS

Brand spanking new to this forum. Hi everyone! Just purchased a 58 Firesweep and I'm trying to figure what the VIN or ID all means:

SO NO MODEL ST PT TR

**** **** LS1L *** OMO ***

Thanks!!

Brand spanking new to this forum. Hi everyone! Just purchased a 58 Firesweep and I'm trying to figure what the VIN or ID all means:

SO NO MODEL ST PT TR

**** **** LS1L *** OMO ***

Thanks!!

The tag is the body tag and has no VIN infomation.

The four digits under the "SO" form the month and day of the Scheduled Build Date. The digits under the "TR" are for the colour and type of interior upholstery. If memory serves, there are three digits under the "ST" which identifies make, series and body styles.

The "Model" code "LS1L" decodes as -

L - Model Year : 1958

S - Make : DeSoto

1 - Engine : 350-cid V8 (or 230-cid 6)

L - Series : Firesweep

(Do not know how many were built in 1958, but in 1957-58 DeSoto offered a 6-cylinder Firesweep taxi 4-door sedan - used the same engineering code as the V8. 139 were built in 1957.)

Under "PT" (Paint), the "OMO" decodes as -

O - Roof colour : Autumn Rust

M - Body colour : Rose Beige

O - Sweep insert colour : Autumn Rust

The serial number should be stamped on a plate attached to the driver's door hinge post, "Vehicle No.". Should start with "LS".

Bill

Vancouver, BC

1958 DeSoto Firesweep 4 door sedan = 7, 646

1958 DeSoto Firesweep/Sportsman 2 door hardtop = 5,635

1958 DeSoto Firesweep 4 door hardtop = 3,003

1958 DeSoto Firesweep convertible = 700

1958 DeSoto Firesweep Shopper (station wagon) 6 passenger = 1,305

1958 DeSoto Firesweep Shopper (station wagon) 9 passenger = 1,125

Edited by keiser31 (see edit history)

Guest TWIN FINS

No, I'm the noob!! Knockin myself in the head. Just bought this car and am learning as I go!! Look like I have a long way to go!! Thanks again.

Guest TWIN FINS

Thanks keiser31. When it gets here tomorrow, I'll post photos. It was purchased out of Seattle (ebay) and was a 1 family car, stock and in original condition, with no restoration.

Bruce

Guest TWIN FINS

Here is a photo of the car. Got another newbie question. Is it normal for these cars to have some smoke coming from the oil filler tube?

Thanks

post-65358-143138146698_thumb.jpg

Guest TWIN FINS

So then, I'm learning quickly I guess. I would like to get rid of the draft tube then and install a PCV valve. Is this something I can easily do myself or should I leave it to the experts. This is where I'm coming from....I can cut hoses, remove screws and bolts and even change the oil! Should I attempt, and how would I do this? Again '58 w/361 Wedge V-8. I can supply photos of the engine if it would help.

Thanks!

Bruce

Its easy to do, just find a vacuum source and plug it in. Your best bet would be to find a later valve cover. Here is a pic of the one that you want. Notice that this one has had the PCV dissabled. This is a dirt car and when we get it hooked up the oil tends to hang up in the valve cover and the vacuum would pull oil up and make smoke.

Take a good look at the bolt pattern on your valve cover as there is a couple of models that are different on the big blocks.

The Mopar performance electronic distributer kit is a worth while investment as well on these B' and RB' engines. Your 361 is a B' engine. Have fun, nice car.

Guest TWIN FINS

Thanks Jack. I'll show this to my nephew in a few days. He'll know exactly what you are talking about. Are you saying to install the pcv valve to the existing draft tube then run a line into the valve cover?

Bruce

No, the PCV valve goes in the valve cover and is held in place with a rubber grommet. You will need to tap into a vacuum source. There may be a plug in the intake manifold or a tube at the base of the carburator. Last case would be to T off of the power brake vac line. If no power brakes then there will be a pluged hole in the intake manifold. Usually to the rear of the carb and towards the driver side.

Once you do all this you would plug the draft tube.

After some thought. It is not uncommon to see a little smoke from the breathing system in these old cars. I just wanted to point out that this smoke does not hurt anything. Can be kind of messy.

The other point is that you would not want to make a bunch of changes that could not be reversed. There is some merit to being original. Or at least able to be brought back to original.

Have fun....

Guest TWIN FINS
The tag is the body tag and has no VIN infomation.

The four digits under the "SO" form the month and day of the Scheduled Build Date. The digits under the "TR" are for the colour and type of interior upholstery. If memory serves, there are three digits under the "ST" which identifies make, series and body styles.

The "Model" code "LS1L" decodes as -

L - Model Year : 1958

S - Make : DeSoto

1 - Engine : 350-cid V8 (or 230-cid 6)

L - Series : Firesweep

(Do not know how many were built in 1958, but in 1957-58 DeSoto offered a 6-cylinder Firesweep taxi 4-door sedan - used the same engineering code as the V8. 139 were built in 1957.)

Under "PT" (Paint), the "OMO" decodes as -

O - Roof colour : Autumn Rust

M - Body colour : Rose Beige

O - Sweep insert colour : Autumn Rust

The serial number should be stamped on a plate attached to the driver's door hinge post, "Vehicle No.". Should start with "LS".

Bill

Vancouver, BC

The number under the "TR" is 603. Does anyone know the color or have a photo sample of the color? We're trying to match the new carpet.

MERRY CHRISTMAS!!

Thanks,

Bruce

It is normal for there to be smoke coming from the oil filler when the car is not moving. The fumes blow back under the car from the road draft tube when the car is moving. This tube is located at the back of the engine and is about 1 inch in diameter, steel tube. Find the end the next time you are under the car for an oil change and make sure it is clear and not plugged up with dirt and grease.

With the hood closed and the car moving there is a slight pressure at the top from the fan and a slight vacuum at the bottom. This clears the crankcase of fumes.

If the smoke is really pouring out like a chimney it is a sign the rings are shot. They are probably a little worn right now, that is why the smoke.

It may clear up if you give the car an oil change and drive it for a while. Put in a can of Rislone or Bardahl and go on a 100 mile trip.