55 Century Convertible project

buick5563

Thanks Mike

It's good to be back.

It was also very nice to spend some quality time in the garage last weekend. It was the first time in 6 months.

I have a renewed drive now though and plan to have the body in primer and assembled before the weather turns cold so I can do my blocking this winter. Plan is to be ready for color as soon as the weather breaks in spring.

Tore most of the engine down yesterday.

Looks really grungy inside, but not too much of a ridge around the cylinder wall. Possibly just a ring job.

The tops of the pistons are quite carboned, but I really want to reuse them if possible.

I will most likely be buying a new (56) camshaft, lifters, pushrods. I need to soak the lifters to remove them as there is a lot of caked on oil on the bottom (where they ride against the cam). The rest of the inside is just old dried oil flakes.

When I removed the rocker covers, there was still a trace of green paint on the gaskets. The top end of this engine has never been touched. Plus, very little built up sludge in the top of the heads.

post-32260-143138278846_thumb.jpg

post-32260-143138278849_thumb.jpg

Mike, are you planning on painting your car yourself? I was wondering what paint system you will be using. I was originally thinking about using base coat clear coat on mine but I have been re considering using single stage urethane. I am working on getting the roof blocked right now. Later, Mudbone

After spending all day (ok, five hours) doing front suspension work that isn't even finished on one side, I wish I could farm the whole dang thing out.

More time than money right now! Unfortunately, all of the new parts don't fit the same as the originals... Just like Mudbone said. These are from the other place in New Jersey, so clearly they came from the same manufacturer.

Pistons are on the way from Terrill, and camshaft from Bob's. That'll keep me in trouble, or at least cussing engine parts instead of cussing crap spring compressors that sproing off of my new springs. Spending money is fun, but I really need a win soon.

Hey Mike,

I think one of my old threads deals with the front end parts and the new ones not fitting the same as the originals.

In the end after three weeks of trying to deal with the same folks you are probably dealing with I ended up having my machine shop turn their part down to match the originals. The shoulder on the hex end was way thicker than the original ones causing the knuckle to sit off center in the lower control arm.

Not sur if that is your issue or not but in case it is there is some info.

I also ended up scrapping the thick rubber washer they sent in their "kit" and ordered the correct ones from Bob's.

Isn't restoring the beauties fun?????????:rolleyes:

Rich

I talked with Rich for a bit this morning. He called to razz me on not using the search function to see his thread on this problem.

I got my "win" this morning. Got the front drivers side finished up, and got the underdash vent manifold (?) painted.

Like I said yesterday, I needed to stop spending money for no wins. I felt like the Washington Redskins...

Rich and Ken, Watch yer backs, sand faster! I'm comin'.

post-32260-143138293384_thumb.jpg

post-32260-143138293387_thumb.jpg

Hey Mike,

It's lookin good.

"underdash vent manifold " Is that the official name in the parts catalog??????;)

Did you use your old rubber bumper on the lower control arm or did you get some new ones? I was lucky on mine. The threaded portion remained in tact and it is amazing how clean the rubber gets in the blast cabinet.

I'm sanding my butt off but perfection takes time. :D

Rich

Now thats comedy :D

C) I know you are, but what am I?

D) I am rubber, you are glue. What bounces from me, sticks to you!

Forgive me, there is a seven year old in my house.

THAT is humor, my friend!

Is that cool under the new request for lightened banter to gain new members?

• 4 weeks later...

Engine update...

I got the block bored and honed .030 over. Crank was .010. Heads were given a valve job, and only needed valve stem seals. I got my main and rod bearings today, along with new rocker arm shafts from Bob's today, and I am chomping at the bit.....BUT, I had my hernia fixed today so I am limited to light (10 lb.) lifting for at least a week.

While I was waiting for the machine work, I took the radiator, heater core, and underseat heater to have them checked. They also soldered my old filler neck onto my new repro gas tank. That looks really nice.

The machine shop also blasted and turned my brake drums which I painted and installed.

I am happy with the progress, I will try and post pics tomorrow.

• 4 weeks later...

I have been piddling around with a bunch of small projects recently. That is until a few days ago. I am reassembling the rear end.

Pic below. But, the real reason I am writing today is to jump on the I HATE C@RS IN(. bandwagon. I bought motor mounts that were an eighth of an inch off and wouldn't fit the frame holes. Of course everybody knows the problem I had on the front end parts. Then today, when I was going to install the axles into my freshly painted housing, I discovered that the axle seals that I put in yesterday are too small, making it impossible to install the shafts. I shan't be calling NJ anymore!

Anyway, it looks good (until I take it apart to replace the seals).

post-32260-143138337009_thumb.jpg

What I do for most every seal I need is either read the number off of the old seal or simply measure it. My local bearing store has been able to supply every seal I've ever needed from power steering pumps, steering boxes, rear ends, engines, etc etc etc. The guys from N.J. are notorious for ill fitting parts.......Bob

If you can say one thing about my life, it is that there is much drama in it. I was following Bhigdog's advice and heading to my local bearing shop to pick up some seals. I also had a generator with a bad armature that I was going to take to the starter shop right next door...

Long story short, my wallet was apparently lifted from me after stopping for gas and a diet Coke. I dropped the generator and a spare starter off and headed to the bearing store when I realized my wallet was missing. The bearing guys couldn't help me anyway, and I had to go back home and cancel my credit cards, thus meaning I couldn't order rear axle seals from Bobs either. I guess I'll assemble the engine while I wait on replacement "plastic".

Darn (or something to that effect)

Sorry about your wallet, Mike. Another restoration related "casualty?". Regarding succeeding at bearing stores. There ia a WORLD of difference in stores and counter persons. Most are just order takers who look in the book then give you a dumb ass look.

Mopar Hemi engines have a fan belt tensioner/idler pully with a non replaceable crimped in bearing. There are no replacements available and mine was bad. I used my lathe to get the bearing out. It had a CR (Chicago Rawhide) number on it but my local counter person said he couldn't find or cross reference it. I was S.O.L.

After a morning on the computer and phone I got to a Chicago Rawhide/SKF tech rep who went through discontinued bearing #'s and specs and gave me the EXACT replacement numbers for a CR bearing. With that # I could cross reference to any other maker. I made sure to buy CR, (now SKF).

Point is that car makers almost never used a custom seal or bearing when an off the shelf number was available and almost all of them can be cross referenced or a workable substitute found.

BTW, did you check your local NAPA store? They provided the rear axle seals for the 56 Chrysler with out breaking a sweat....Good luck...............Bob

Edited by Bhigdog (see edit history)

We took precise measurements at the store, and I have had good luck there before. The only seal they found that was (extremely) close...(like within several thousandths of an inch) was a nearly a half inch thick.

I am very trusting also, StealthBob, I rarely lock my cars in my driveway. I know that I had my wallet when I paid and when I got back to the store ten minutes later, the guy behind the counter said I hadn't left it on the counter (the only thing I could think of). I have never lost anything before, I'm extremely cognizant of my surroundings and my belongings due to growing up in DC. I tore my truck apart in the parking lot of the gas station. It is conceivable that the guy behind the counter took it, but? Well, anyway, it's gone now.

After the accident with my Tahoe, I figured karma was paying me back for all of the bad living I had done in my earlier days. Maybe this is a continuation of universal payback. Or, as Bhigdog said just another cost of my restoration.

Ya know, it's funny, the other day as I was cleaning up bolt after bolt after greasy-a$$ bolt on my bench grinder's wire wheel, I wished (for a brief second) that I was doing a credit card restoration where I could just buy all of the bolts I needed in a kit, like those lucky Chevy dudes :)

Ya know, it's funny, the other day as I was cleaning up bolt after bolt after greasy-a$$ bolt on my bench grinder's wire wheel, I wished (for a brief second) that I was doing a credit card restoration where I could just buy all of the bolts I needed in a kit, like those lucky Chevy dudes :)

What fun is that? I look forward to getting neck and back cramps from standing in front of the wheel for 3 hours at a time. Plus, where else can you get all those free projectile wires to stab you in the face? I've had to pull wires out of my forehead on several occasions:D