1937 Adler Rennlimousine Competition

Guest oldtimerfan

• 4 years later...

I know this is an old thread, but the topic of this Adler being the inspiration for the 1963 Split Window Corvette has been revived. I recently saw the attached article by noted author and illustrator K. Scott Teeters.  After reading his article and knowing that he had come to this conclusion all on his own without knowing anything about my story, I reached out to him to offer him what I knew.  He was excited about the prospect of having been right all along and is now in the process of publishing a new story about the connection.  In doing his research, he reached out to GM Heritage and they were actually able to locate some of the actual photos of my old Adler AT the GM Tech center from 7-28-1959,  at the same acknowledged starting point of the Split Window project. 

The photos are fascinating.  Especially the one from the rear with the photographer's feet showing because he is laying on his back on the ground and shooting the photo from between his feet. Clearly he was trying to capture the design of the rear of this car.  So this is actual proof that this Adler WAS at the GM Tech center where the 1963 Split Window was developed and it was there at the exact same time as the Corvette Split Window development was started.  It is not really plausible that  the Adler was literally out in the parking lot of the GM tech center on 7-28-1959 and that staff was taking multiple photos of the car and that this Adler had no influence on the design being sketched and clayed literally behind the same office windows looking down on this car.  Enjoy!   

Teeter Article
http://www.corvettereport.com/corvette-odd-ball-was-the-1938-adler-trumpf-rennlimousine-the-genesis-of-the-iconic-sting-rays-roof/

16-Adler-Trumpf-Sting-Ray.jpg

17-Adler-Trumpf-Sting-Ray.jpg

15-Adler-Trumpf-Sting-Ray.jpg

Clay 63.JPG

Edited by karguy12 (see edit history)

It sure makes sense, James. I would add that only the "boattail" rear end top design was picked up from the Adler, as the rest of the production 1963 Stingray design was picked up directly from the 1959 Corvette XP-87 Stingray racer/concept car, which debuted before the photos of the Adler were taken. In fact, Larry Shinoda states that the basis of the 1963 Stingray was picked up directly from that car. Not that anyone would ever think the rest of the Adler was used in the Stingray design, I just thought it would be interesting to add the information.

220px-1959_Corvette_XP-87_Stingray.jpg

1959 Corvette XP-87 Stingray

I agree.  They only needed a futuristic roof to put on the XP-87 and they went back in time to get one.  I am sure that they did their homework as David Holls was very familiar with the Adler car, the designer and the history, Including being designed by Paul Jaray with the use of the Messerschmidt wind tunnel.  Jaray's designs were also pirated for the Chrysler Airflow.  Having a roof design that had already been wind tunnel tested may have appealed to them too.  

I had emailed you the GM Tech center photos because I thought you would get a kick out of them.  :) 

Edited by karguy12 (see edit history)

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...