2010 Eastern Division Spring Meet

ex98thdrill

I would hope so Charlie. That's what my intention is.:)

Wayne

Yes there will be. We've lost three judges since Friday. One of the judges had to have by-pass surgery on Friday, the other two are a husband and wife team who had a death in the family, so they will not be here either.

While I'm on-line, I'm getting a lot of various weather predictions for Saturday. I'm getting cloudy, and I'm also getting 40% chance of rain. Pick anything in between and hope for the best.

Guys if you have any more questions or e-mails, either post them here on the thread, or e-mail me, but I will be going offline tonight at 9pm.

Anything else that arises after that, you'll have to reach me on my cell phone.

Effective tomorrow morning, over 2-1/2 years of work goes into operation. Hopefully we've constructed a well oiled machine, but like the weather, it's going to be what it's meant to be.

For those of you who are coming, there are some hidden items printed in the program, for those of you who can find those hidden items printed in the program, you will recieve a bottle of NY wine. We also have coupons and special deals with the Canandaigua Merchants who will also be giving out similar items as well. I know they are doing one that involves local trivia.

Starting at 9am tomorrow, I will be either at the showfield, or at the registration area until 11am. At around 11am, I will be gathering up my Region President, his wife, and our region photographer to go to Buffalo to pick up President Terry Bond. So I do not expect to be back on site until after 4pm tomorrow.

If you're coming up via Harrisburg, remember to turn off your GPS, and print the thread showing the driving directions with fuel stops.

Have a safe trip to Canandaigua!!

i found it, stream boat landing.

i am driving my car and am going on the winnery tour. will there a safe place to leave my car?

I have set up through the Ontario County Sheriff's Department and the New York State Police to check the parking lots at every hotel/motel in the county during hours of darkness.

Of course if the patrols get a lot of complaints, then the property checks might not take place.

As for daytime activities, there should be no problems at Steamboat Landing. You have a park on one side of Steamboat, high dollar real estate on the other side, and vacant land across the street.

At this time, it is time to sign off. The meet will soon begin, and I already have people who are here ready for the meet.

Tomorrow, our national president and his wife Susan will be presented with a surprise that hopefully they will both cherish thoughout their presidency.

So many miles have been travelled going to meets, and as meet chairman, it is an honor to welcome you all to our community.

Guest boettger

Response to Dick Griswold.

Endicott,NY is 110 Miles from Canandaigua by this Route.

Route 17/86 to Owego

Route 96 to Spencer

Route34/224 to Montour Falls

Route14 thru Watkins Glen to Geneva

Route 5/20 to Canandaigua.

Happy Travels,

We're leaving this morning. Friday.

Guest ktm858

We arrived just before dark and parked the trailer with no trouble. The directions were great it was a nice peaceful ride from Scranton Pa. If the weather holds out this will be an awsome meet!

Well, we had special entertainment at the Meet tonight. Seems this 3 piece band were short their backup singers, so 3 famous AACA members were asked to fill in. You be the judge in how well they performed. :eek::)

Wayne

From left to Right,

- John Paulsen - from Paulsen, Baker & Garvey. John was my fifth grade teacher.

- Unknown.

- My wife Stephanie, a/k/a Awards, Tours and Ladies Luncheon chairperson.

- My mom, (Barb) a/k/a the Hospitality chairperson.

- Keith Baker's right elbow - from Paulsen, Baker & Garvey..

For those who left the Friday night entertainment early, you left a very, very good show. These guys are good.

I think I taught Wayne that even us northerners can perform. These guys can do bluegrass with the best of them, and a lot more.

Wayne, not to change the subject, but what is the record for the most number of hits on a thread on the AACA Forum??

We broke the 9,000 mark, I was shocked when we hit 1,000, but I'm wondering where this thread has gone. If this thread didn't break a record, I know we had to have at least challenged it.

Edited by ex98thdrill (see edit history)

From left to Right,

- John Paulsen - from Paulsen, Baker & Garvey. John was my fifth grade teacher.

- Unknown.

- My wife Stephanie, a/k/a Awards, Tours and Ladies Luncheon chairperson.

- My mom, (Barb) a/k/a the Hospitality chairperson.

- Keith Baker's right elbow - from Paulsen, Baker & Garvey...

Unknown above is Kathy Kellum on the tamborine, from the Lynchburg Region of Virginia, another "sparkplug" from the wonderful State of Virginia! :cool:

Wayne, not to change the subject, but what is the record for the most number of hits on a thread on the AACA Forum??

We broke the 9,000 mark............

I don't know the record, Pat, but anyone on this forum should be proud of the fact that so many members have been "checking in". I also heard from many members that Pat's directions were tops too, even from me! :cool:

Well, I wiped some storm water off the Olds this morning, so now it's time for Judges breakfast and what we all came here for, an AACA Meet in a beautiful area of New York.

Catch you later, guys!

Wayne

I thought it was a very nice meet Pat, my wife and I really enjoyed the weekend. You and your region did a nice job putting on this meet. Your directions and recommendations were right on the money. Pat tell your wife Stephanie she did a nice job too with the wine tour. I met some old friends and made some new ones however I did not met Wayne yet maybe I will run into him at Hershey.

Thanks again Pat for all your help, job well done.

Great Show!

I posted a few of my snapshots of the show at this link.

Photo Gallery - 2010 Spring Meet Canandaigua

Enjoy

Bill

Bill, Thank you for such great photos. I really hate that we had to miss that show. I know that it took a lot of work to put it together.

(I am really proud of Mickey Mouse that he wears his seatbelt. Setting a very good example for the younger crowd. :cool: )

Guys,

Once again thank you for the nice compliments.

As I had mentioned earlier on this thread, our region had not done a national meet in 20 years, and most of my committee chairs weren't even in GVACS, let alone the AACA back when that meet was done. A lot of these same committee chairs had never been to an AACA national meet.

A lot of thought went into this meet, a lot of work went into this meet, and I knew that no matter what happened win, lose or draw, it wasn't going to be an issue of lack of trying.

Our region worked hard, and in almost every aspect of this meet, we dared to be different. It could've come out bad, but we tried many things that were different, and we were lucky enough to have them work out and be very well received.

I would like to thank Charlier for bringing us items for our hospitality.

I would like to thank David, Ron & Judy Devine for their help, as well as the gift.

Special recognition goes to fellow forum (and region member) Bill Boudway. Bill asked me what I thought about having someone come in and sing the national anthem, I told him to run with it, and it basically had fallen by the wayside. When it came time to see if this had been addressed, Bill asked me how much we could spend, we didn't have it budgeted, but on Friday night, Bill found a way to bring someone in to sing the national anthem.

By the way, this is the first time I had ever seen the national anthem performed at a meet. When the national anthem started, the entire show field stopped. I have never seen the entire show field stop like it did. Just when the singer hit the high note, two large hawks flew over the flag. You couldn't have timed it any more perfect. Fred Young accused me of having birds caged and realeasing them on cue. In either case, I did not. That whole incident was a fluke thing, but you couldn't have timed it any better. When the anthem was over, my wife calls me on my cell phone telling me that between the flag, the way the song was sung, and the birds flying over the flag made her cry.

I was very blessed to have Steve Moskowitz bring out his 1903 curved dash Olds. I have been to a lof of meets over the years, but I've never seen Steve bring a car to a meet. Steve's car won a First Junior, and as a meet chairman, it was an honor to have Steve bring his car to our meet.

On a personal note, my dad and I put more vehicles on the show field than we've ever put in (a total of 9).

- The car that I took my driver's test on and got my license with, won a First Junior. That car was the first car that I ever had, and it was painted back when I was a Junior in High School.

- The very first car that my dad and I restored also won a First Junior. That car was put together in 1990 and had never been shown nationally.

- The flagpole was HPOF certified.

- The 1934 Diamond 'T' pumper that is owned by the fire department and maintained by my dad and I, was also HPOF certified. I don't believe that there is another fire department owned truck anyplace near us that has accomplished this.

- Everything else recieved a Repeat Preservation Award.

As I mentioned during my speech at the awards banquet, the success of AACA starts at the region level by promoting AACA in your own communities. Thank you for taking your time to come to our community to help us promote AACA.

Guest windjamer

:)Hats off to Pat and crew, ex, meet Pat. I and my small caravan took the senic route up from Binghamton. I had forgoten how pretty that part of NY is. Thanks again Steve B. We entered the show field and where guided to our spots with military presision,must have been ARMY pre-planing.Well done Pat. I also got to see Steve Ms curved dash Olds,sorry if I got any drool on it Steve I did have a towell under my chin. A couple I signed up for AACA at Hershey came up with me and after 3 years of trying rec. there first jr. They had a long ride back home, but I bet the wife didnt sleep a wink. One happy puppy. I think I gained a new g/son, a youngster parked next to my wife with a 4dr. (think titanic) olds. Steve would have loved it. His first show and it showed. Nice car, but would have been better in DPC. Poor kid didnt have a fire ext. or money to buy one so soon as the team was done with my wifes car she scooted around back and let him use hers. I walked him around some of the cars to show him, and I got a promiss he will spend a lot of time cleaning and meet me for fall hershey. I finely got to meet Charlier, anouther self pro-claimed rable rouser. Charlie I dont think we complane, I think we recognize an unfair of unethical event and have the gall to *itch. How dare us!! :eek: One final well done Pat, see you at Hershey.:D

One final well done Pat, see you at Hershey.:D

Thanks Dick, we'll see you at Hershey.

Speaking of Hershey, everyone who followed my directions from Harrisburg to Canandaigua don't know what you're missing. If you think coming the way that I sent you wan't a pretty drive, you ought to see it in October when those leaves are orange!!:cool::cool::cool:

Also while we're online, did you have any problem with missing Judge's Breakfast?? I told Herb Oakes of your situation and just wanted to know if it worked out.

Pat and his TEAM did a great job. My personal hats off to Diane, Nancy and Carl for their great handling of the big jobs of registration, merchandise and trophies. It was a wonderful meet in a great location and the "wild" beers at MacGregors was not so bad either!:D

My hats off to our team in Hershey who did a pretty good job of supporting this meet. As Pat found out, you have no idea what goes into putting on a meet until you actually have to do one. Well, no one realizes the work that goes on here in the background as well.

Serb, a real highlight of the event was talking with you and realizing we had mutual friends outside the car hobby. What a small world. Sorry I could not talk more at the banquet but we had a medical issue that took me away from the table.

Dick, thanks for the two cans! I owe you one.

A public thank you to my buddy Tim Ohlendorf for his terrific work on "Murphy". Everyone was in awe of the finish on the car and that is a testimony not to technology but plain hard work. True to her nature, the car fought me right up to the end and almost did not make it all worked out.

OK, time for some rest, just unloaded all the leftover meet materials. BTW, we unveiled three new t-shirts and one golf shirt in NY. They are our first official 75th Anniversary national shirts.

Nice seeing everyone this weekend and to those who had so many compliments on how our home office is treating you...THANK YOU! It is always nice to hear we are doing our job!

Pat and his TEAM did a great job. My personal hats off to Diane, Nancy and Carl for their great handling of the big jobs of registration, merchandise and trophies. It was a wonderful meet in a great location and the "wild" beers at MacGregors was not so bad either!:D

Yes they did Steve. But don't forget Bill Preston. Bill spent a lot of time drawing and re-drawing the show field. I have never been to a meet where the headquarters tent was in the middle of the showfield. I feel where Bill put the headquarters tent was the best that I've ever seen. I told Bill to take the ball and run with it, he did exactly that, and he did it very well.

Bill was the Field Marshall at the 1990 AGNM, and his talents showed.

Carl Rapp was the trophy chairman, and I can't take credit for that at all. Carl and his team were entirely from the Wayne Drumlins Region. Steve Heald was the one who put the rubber to the road.

As for rest, I understand what you're saying. I was up 4am on Saturday morning, and then I was up until 2am Sunday morning looking after a sick friend, so that another good friend good get the sleep that he needed. I got back up at 7am this morning, and then I had a nice, peacefull nap this afternoon. No phone calls, nothing.

Something that wasn't mentioned was that the show field was out of my protection district so I was not allowed to bring the ambulance out of East Bloomfield to take care of the people on the show field. I pulled the jump bag, oxygen and defib unit off of East Bloomfield's ambulance so that Teresa and I could cover EMS duties on the show field. So what most people didn't know was that I was pulling the duty of both Meet Chairman and showfield EMS.

From a liability standpoint, anyone who was injured and required first aid, as meet chairman, I was there and know firsthand exactly what happened, and the actions that were taken.

Edited by ex98thdrill (see edit history)

Pat and all the GVACS team,

Thank you for an excellent job well done.

The people were absolutely great. GVACS members, local people visiting, and, so many more within the surrounds. Really made us feel welcome and at home.

I believe everyone can attest to the absolutely great variety of vehicles present. There was something for everyone to see and discuss.

Did I mention how great the people were?

Really appreciate everyone's efforts that provided a super weekend in beautiful country.

Best,

Peter.

Hey guys,

Speaking of the man upstairs taking care of us??

Today Penn Yan, NY had 1 inch of rain,

Rochester had 1.7 inches of rain,

and Syracuse had 1.2 inches of rain.

We got very lucky.:D:D:D:D

I hope you guys had a good trip home with no problems.

Just out of curiosity, other than CharlieR, Novaman and Steve Moskowitz, how many people used my directions coming up from Harrisburg??

I, for one did. It's been years since I've done Rt 15. I'd forgotten what a scenic route it is. Truly beautiful.

Looking to take a different route home I choose the Geneva, Watkins Glen, Rt 17, 81S Route. A little longer but a change of scenery.

I hooked up the trailer this AM in the deluge, ate breakfast as it passed by, caught up with it South of the Glen, pulled over because I couldn't see, caught it again South of Binghamton and drove through it, then it caught and passed me about Scranton. Blinding rain every time.

But alls well. The truck's in the garage and I'm sipping a nice glass of port.

Maybe tomorrow I'll find out if I put one over on the judges and got a Junior.

BTW, you've already got lots of kudu's so I won't add to them except to say that my favorite part of the show was the singing of our National anthem. Thank you...................Bob

Bhigdog-great to met you at the meet! I'm finally at a computer! Yes the meet was fantastic. I'll never forget the special surprise for Susan and I-we were picked up at the airport in a restored 1949 Flexible bus and delivered to the host hotel via some of the prettiest country roads in NY. We were simply overwhelmed with the hospiality and the kindness of Pat and the entire GVACS crew. What a superb meet it was indeed. The organization was superb and everything was a great kick-start for our next 75 years.

We left early this morning for the Founders Tour and got a ride in the Barlups Lincoln limo that was built for the Hilton family. Luxury all the way! We just finished the kick-off banquet for the founders tour and we'll start another thread there as soon as we can. But for now, the meet in NY is in the history books. Pat and the team can take a well deserved rest and bask in the pride of a job well done for AACA and our members. It was indeed a great one! Thank you.

Terry

Terry,

When we were in Philly, I told you that it was our intention of putting on a meet that you would cherish for years beyond your presidency. From our artwork for the meet, to the bus, the ride to Canandaigua, your room, the tours, entertainment, food, showfield, the work areas for the AACA support staff, the merchandise, etc. there are two words to describe what I promised you.

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED!!:D:D:D

Boettger, It was nice to meet you and enjoy the banquet with you, Mike Jones, and some other nice AACA folks.

Pat, Great job on the meet. Great job on the directions, even if there was a traffic crash or construction on about every road I was on between NC and NY!

For those who I did not manage to meet, we need to start having a DFer meeting at every meet instead of just Hershey. I keep missing several of you guys that I need to meet!

It was a long trip up, a great time there, some major storms the night before and the night after, but the weather was wonderful for the show! After a 13 hour drive home today in the motorhome, I am sort of tired, but Congratulations on a job well done Pat!

I do want to post one of my photos. Steve warned me that I was going to break my camera, but I told him I was willing to take a chance. I think it turned out OK.

post-47089-143138227432_thumb.jpg

Glad to see you at our meet, and even happier that you made it home safe.

Did you get that water you needed for the motorhome??

I can't begin to think of how many people think of a concrete jungle every time that they hear the word 'New York.' Hopefully everyone who attended our meet, will inform others that the entire state of New York is not paved. For those of you who think that the Subway runs under the entire state, the only Subway that we know of includes two pieces of bread with something in between. Harrisburg, PA is closer to us than NYC, and we're more country in my parts than many places I've been to in other states.

Canandaigua is one of the most expensive lakes in the country to live on. Some years Lake Tahoe takes the honors, and some years it is Canandaigua. Humphrey Bogart use to spend summers on that lake as a young boy, John Willys was born there, Susan B Anthony stood trial in our courthouse for voting at a time when women weren't permitted to vote, and it is rumored that Faith Hill & Tim McGraw had a home someplace on West Lake Road. Prior to his departure from the White House, Bill Clinton had looked at settling in Canandaigua, but we lucked out.

I do want to post one of my photos. Steve warned me that I was going to break my camera, but I told him I was willing to take a chance. I think it turned out OK.

By the way, that happened to be the oldest guy, er, I mean CAR on our showfield....:eek::eek::D:D

Pat,

Yes, your recommendation worked out really well. He appreciated the patch and we got the water jug filled up and made sure we had plenty for the trip. Thanks again.

Guest boettger

Matt,

It was wonderful to meet you and your family at the banquet.

My hat is off to Pat and the whole team ftom GVACS and Wayne Drumlins for a wonderful meet.

Someone was watching out for us all with respect to the weather.

I got soaked loading the Met on the trailer Sunday morning, but I've been wet before.

Some think I'm all wet all the time!

I'd like to volunteer my flea market space at Hershey for a DF get together Wed, Thursday or Fri evening or maybe all three.

We'll all talk about that as Hershey approaches.

The only problem with the DF get together is that it seems like every time someone tries to get together at a meet, it fizzles out. That's why I basicaly quit going to one.

At this point, there's probable more people who know me, than I even know.

.....I think that's because I'm most likely the only DF'er with an HPOF certified flagpole:D:D:D

Impatiently awaiting meet results......in this age of electronic communication we have come to expect instant gratification of our most mundane desires...perhaps the Awards Ceremonies could be streamed live on the internet for those of us too tired or busy to attend? Just joking of course!

Matt,

It was wonderful to meet you and your family at the banquet.

My hat is off to Pat and the whole team ftom GVACS and Wayne Drumlins for a wonderful meet.

Someone was watching out for us all with respect to the weather.

I got soaked loading the Met on the trailer Sunday morning, but I've been wet before.

Some think I'm all wet all the time!

I'd like to volunteer my flea market space at Hershey for a DF get together Wed, Thursday or Fri evening or maybe all three.

We'll all talk about that as Hershey approaches.

Hi Steve,

Don't be bashful, give us your space number for Hershey. I'll bring the Moxie.

Regards,

Bill Boudway