Car Lovers Flock to Fall Hershey

charlier

The local NBC affiliate out of Lancaster, PA. (WGAL Channel 8) has been running live remotes from Fall Hershey during their evening newscasts.

During one of those segments they mentioned that people have been uploading photos of the event to their web site at:

IMAGES: Car Lovers Flock To Fall Hershey - Photos - WGAL The Susquehanna Valley

I thought some people that have not yet left for Hershey could wet their appetites.

Other people that cannot make the trip can use these photos as appetizers while they wait for the main course of photos that AACA members are sure to serve up on the AACA web site.

Kudos to Hershey Region for getting Channel 8 to come out to do the live remotes.

Guest Skyking
Well i have decided not to go. maybe next year. WEATHER CHANEL is calling for rain friday night into early saturday.

That's exactly what kept me away. This kind of event in any rain is not my cup of tea. I couldn't see driving 400 miles for 1 good day. Maybe next time.

Hate to say it-but Hershey is dieing. Each year there are less and less vendors. I know the economy is bad, but a lot of the guys in the hobby are older and passing on. I guarantee that in 10 years time, the Hershey car show will be half the size it is today. Need to get younger people involved. Spoke with a vendor on Thursday and he said that business is off by at least 25%.

Last year he stated that a lot of foreigners picked up the slack, but this year, aren't buying either.

Going the way of America's churches....

Beautiful day today. We had two minor showers (drizzles) this morning, and beautiful weather the rest of the day. Lots of nice cars in the Car Corral, walked myself to death looking at them. Even found a '29 Essex like I just bought for valuable info.

The Membership Booth that I worked at was busy. I guess we renewed or signed up 10 members in the 2 hours we were there. The new members were knocked out by our new AACA Magazine. Even sold three Prowler raffle tickets! Former AACA President, Pinkie Randal (1985)tried to get me to renew his "life membership". :eek:

I explained to him, that it was a good thing he came by, as his had expired anyway. :D

I met a lot of old friends in the last two days, and a bunch of new ones. Just that was worth the trip up here this year, for me anyway. You do realize the hobby is all about the people, right??:)

Can't wait for tomorrow to wear out my camera batteries. ;)

Wayne

Guest Skyking

Ted, I guess you and I are the only guys that believed the weather reports. I usually don't believe a word they say, but I was keeping a close eye on the weather for Hershey from 3 different sources. They all said rain! ........and when they say rain, they're usually right. I even spoke with a friend who was there Wednesday and he said it was going to rain Friday. Well, I guess they (the weather people) stuck it to us again.........:mad:

Can't cry over spilled milk, I mean rain...........!!

Ted.

Wish you would have come simply for the comradity and "same interest" in old vehicles. There were 2 years when I left my entry home and drove a daily driver to Hershey and other venues solely to see old & new friends.

I assure you there is much more to this shared hobby than a few rain drops on a vehicle.

Trying to cheer you up a bit based upon a few years of your negative posts about almost any subject on the Forum.

Lighten up a bit a think "Fun".

Regards,

Peter.

Guest Nancy DeWitt

Well, for this Hershey first-timer, I was impressed with the number and variety of vendors (at least two of them said it was their first time at Hershey). In three days I couldn't get to each booth, and definitely didn't have the energy left to see all the fine cars in the car corral. There's a blog post about our Hershey experience at Fountainhead Antique Auto Museum.

As for the weather, when one travels here all the way from Alaska you aren't going to let a little rain or wind stop you! Granted, there were times on Wednesday when I worried about being decapitated by a flying hubcap in the gale-force wind gusts, but I still managed to cover about 8 miles that day.

I met some of the nicest folks at Hershey this year, found some choice items to buy, and wished I'd been able to stay two more days. Thank you to all the folks and vendors who make this event a success. It must be a tremendous undertaking!

As a new guy to the forums, I dont want to ruffle feathers but ... I had not been to Hershey since the 80s. Went up yesterday and it seemed to me that there was a lot of spaces being taken up by vendor vehicles but nothing for sale. Is it time to condense the fields so that there is not so much dead space? It also seemed that a great portion of the vendors were leaving after Friday. May not be much to see today. Ashame for those that had to work this week. Just one opinion, any flea market is a good fleamarket.

As a new guy to the forums, I dont want to ruffle feathers but ... I had not been to Hershey since the 80s. Went up yesterday and it seemed to me that there was a lot of spaces being taken up by vendor vehicles but nothing for sale. Is it time to condense the fields so that there is not so much dead space? It also seemed that a great portion of the vendors were leaving after Friday. May not be much to see today. Ashame for those that had to work this week. Just one opinion, any flea market is a good fleamarket.

The Chocolate field has gotten really bad with RV and car parking. There are vendors actually selling in probably 50% or less of the spaces. Consolidation would be a good idea.

post-31305-143138118362_thumb.jpg

post-31305-143138118364_thumb.jpg

Nice pictures of the volunteer parking area in the Chocolate field. Sure there are lots of spaces not properly used- but it's that way at most swap meets. It's a toss up: more complaining about Hershey or the weather.

The first one you can clearly see the stickers on the ground. If the second one is volunteer parking that begs a different question. Call it whining if you want but the flea market is dying. It is sad to me and I'll admit most of it is not controllable but it is still an obvious fact.

Nice pictures of the volunteer parking area in the Chocolate field. Sure there are lots of spaces not properly used- but it's that way at most swap meets. It's a toss up: more complaining about Hershey or the weather.

Agree with you 100%, greenie. The Hershey Region people are up at 4:00 a.m. and work all day, every day of the meet not to mention thousands of hours all year planning the next meet. The least that can be done for them is volunteer parking for convenience and ease in providing a wonderful meet.

I think it to be comical every year. Usually about 6-8 weeks prior to Hershey the same old posts by the same people start the back-and-forth about weather, minor problems the previous year, complain about judging, complain about high prices that are not totally under the vendor's control, etc., then, the same people show up every year. Weather is not predictable but this scenario is guaranteed...

Regards,

Peter J.

Guest Packards1

The flea market is alive and well. A lot of people who aren't involved have a lot of opinions and do not understand what it takes to set up a flea market spot. A lot of vendors sell a majority of their items and pack up friday afternoon so they can view the cars on saturday like every one else. A lot of vendors set up tuesday morning and by saturday morning are facing the daunting task of packing and traveling hundreds of miles home. Saturday, the sales of serious parts is almost non existant as the serious buyers have come and gone. The remaining people are just strolling or going to look at the judged cars. Hershey is the best.

I agree ,i talked to several venders,several locations,they to said the spaces next to them were for handy parking and no selling.That can be controlled.Also.i seen way to many golf carts again,and also ,people who i wish were driving one,who actually needed one .THe weather i will not gripe about,thats hershey,used to it .Still would not miss it ,but agree ,do something about the no vending spaces,or open up a field for these people ,and consolidate the vender spaces.

For those that complain, my flea market space was open today (Saturday), sold $12.00 worth of Pre WWII parts, covered breakfast and a few cups of coffee. Arrived before noon on Tuesday, just not the same as Meets in the past, eBay is were the action is. I think Hershey has become a dumping ground for heavy parts, and unwanted items that fill the $1.00 per part tarps. That is how I was setup, first time ever that the sunscreen tent didn't go up, way too windy. Had a great time, bought some stuff I needed, but the underpriced parts to flip on eBay were not out there. Next year is my 42nd in a row.

1937,iwas in the fields all week long,3 of us as always.Always there by 8.00am,very few open.I really dont agree with ebay,not to many pre-war parts there for our cars.I finally made it through the whole feild,and did some back-tracking today,three trips to truck.Hope you keep it up,as some sites seem to be a parking place with a (pay in the box)parking space

I just want to thank the Hershey Region for another great show. I've only been going to Hershey on and off for the past twenty years, but this year was just great. I was there Wed noon, for the wind and left Saturday afternoon after a spectacular day and the car show. Sure there were things that could be better, but every bit of it was fun, even that part about being arrested for disturbing the domestic tranquilty. I saw a couple dozen old friends, made some new friends, and had sort of a class 27B reunion with some of the cars that have kicked my butt over the years. There was ton of stuff in the flea market to look at and I even brought home some stuff I really needed. Its easy to critisize all the cars in the flea market, but camping out on the flea market grounds is a big part of the fun. I had a blast and can't wait until next year. Thanks again to the Hershey people for all the hard work and a great show.

Bill

When you see spaces at Hershey not occupied by vendors OR being used as parking spaces is when you better start worrying. Remember, those people using the spaces for parking are likely BUYERS. Are you really suggesting that I tell my 80 year old Mother attending her 35th or so Hershey that she can't park in our spaces next year since she is no longer a serious vendor? Maybe we need a Death Panel to decide who is a "serious" vendor?

So tired this morning I can barely type. Life isn't perfect, no event isn't perfect but I will tell you despite all the gripes this was a GREAT fall meet. I talked to vendors who had a record year. The crowds were strong. The car show ON GRASS was MAGNIFICENT! So much more the doom and gloom about the rain on the grass!

I watch each year with how much work the national club, the Hershey region and HERCO expend on bringing this event to people. None of you would have the slightest ability to comprehend what goes into this without seeing it first hand. A year long endeavor.

Constructive criticism to make an event better is always good and even WELCOMED but some of these comments are made without the understanding of the event.

Hershey Region members, way to go for an incredible event and a car show "to die for". Did anyone notice the crowds! Wow! Also, thanks to all of you for your support, expressions of gratitude and for your membership...no sleep for a week but it was worth it. Staff and I are working today believe it or not!

Steve,

Thanks for all that you and the Staff do for the club. Thanks to the Hershey Region once again. I am really bummed that I had to miss it this year. I am starting my plans for next year now!

Every year, we bring a few odds and ends to vend on our spaces. If we sell them, great, if not, that's OK too because the opportunity to chat with other old car nuts is worth more than the few bucks we'd make from selling our 'junque'. I've enjoyed attending for many years and look forward to next year.

Hats off to all of the folks who put in long hours to make the whole event a success!

Restorer,not what i mean at all,you are there ,and open.You are useing your space.Lets talk about the people who put 3 or 4 things out,never there,put the cash in can type,or empty table,covered up.By the way great restorations

Thanks for the compliment. We have been lucky to have customers who have allowed us to play with many cars we could never hope to own. Hershey is a constantly changing experience for each and every vendor and visitor. Looking back on 42 years at Hershey I can say that yes, there have many changes and everyone loves Hershey for different reasons but the core experience remains the same. I enjoy the cars of course but more importantly it is the people we remember. My Son, now 26 and working with me has a perfect attendance record since his first appearance in the old White Field when he was 7 weeks old. Sat at the Awards Banquet last evening with a couple who remembered when he was there at 7 weeks. Personally we no longer see Hershey as a place to search for parts. I can be more productive in 3 hours online or on the phone than I can be in 3 days walking the flea market. For us Hershey has become more of a huge family reunion than anything else. If it were the same every year what would be the fun? It is the new and unexpected cars and experiences that we remember year to year. To resurrect an old quote....Rumors of the death of Hershey are greatly exaggerated. Our compliments to all involved on putting on another great Hershey.

.............. For us Hershey has become more of a huge family reunion than anything else. If it were the same every year what would be the fun? It is the new and unexpected cars and experiences that we remember year to year...........

That was it for me to Jeff! I'm not able to walk the fields like everyone else, but I enjoyed seeing my friends and even working! :eek:

I was in the AACA Membership Tents for two days. I met a new friend, my booth partner, Paul Foley from San Diego on Friday. Paul happened to know Bob Haywood, last year's Ann S Eady winner, so we had something in common.

I had more fun on Saturday with my boothmate, Susan Birchmire, from the Jersey Region. Bless her heart, someone told her to check up on me before accepting the time slot (Was that you, Fran Shore?:P)

Sue decided to take the challenge with me anyway. ;) That's the spirit Sue. We had more fun selling raffle tickets, membership renewals and just trying to help out the lost and not so lost. At one point I got so cold I told Sue, I was scanning the crowds for some warm body to give me a hug, since by that time, the wind had picked up. What to my surprise, Marty Roth from New Orleans showed up grinning at our booth.

Much to Sue's surprise, I said,

"What the heck, give me a hug, Marty!":eek::D

It's a lot of fun meeting so many AACA members in membership booths, and helping new members find their way around.

Wayne

This was my 38th consecutive year attending Hershey with my father and I am only 45 years old! Many thanks to the Hershey Region AACA for doing another fantastic job with this show.

Yes, there were less people this year and our sales at our flea market space were down but oh well! I wouldn't trade my memories of Hershey with my dad for anything! Every year that I have the opportunity to go I take off that entire week and get ready to add another memory. Life is too short and this tradition is one that will always hold a special place for me.

I am trying to get people my age and younger into the hobby and educate them about antique cars but it is hard since many of them do not have the money to buy a car and get involved. I am trying to start them off attending local shows and cruise nights and then get them excited about the annual Hershey experience.

Fred

So tired this morning I can barely type.

It's a good kind of tired right...!

Witnessed Steve running like a chic'n with his head cut off at the entrance to the show field.... he was headed somewhere with a look of purpose, then stops to shake hands with a smile, then back to multi-tasking. I used to be a waiter in the crowded downtown Atlanta Westin hotel... I know when someone is busting their arse and Steve was looking the oh so busy part on Saturday.

I bust my arse also.... vending for 5 years at Hershey.... and Saturday was the first time ever I took a break to walk away from the parts biz and go visit the show field. Prior years I just kept selling and selling parts needing to pay bills and reach a bit higher for my dream where I want to restore several 1940's car dealerships and make them into a old fashioned community hangout experience.

PS: Whats the beef with dollar piles ???? This isn't my Hershdy space but I did enjoy watching the craziness on Saturday...

Hershey2009dollar.JPG

Edited by Wowabunga (see edit history)

I will not buy from anyone that is not there,sorry you are there to sell ,or not.if not let somebody else have the space.I am 46,most cars are pre war that we own.I love to see parts from that era.I passed many booths,had junk or worse,put $ in a can .Get the land grabbers out ,and sell to anybody who will open ,and sell parts.I still love Hershey

Guest stuart Silverman

Hershey is amazing .but I was disapointed ... My best friend and I drove almost four hours on Saturday and arrived at 10,am and most of the swapmeet was packing up to leave .Many of the vendors still had loads of parts left ????? , Also ,why have the car show on grass when blacktop is avaliable??? One rainstorm, and the field turns to mud, and that equates to MANY hours of cleaning and detailing the underside . But like I said all things considered it is great BUT improvements can always be made ... Stuart

Bill and I had a great time. He found a foreign car Motor repair manual for $5 and it's in great shape. I found a 1:18 scale model of a 1963 1/2 Ford Falcon Sprint convertible. The man let me have it for $15. I found out why, it was missing a few of the small parts like a door handle, a mirror and one of the fender ornaments was damaged and the paint on the hood has bubbled. But it is the only one I have seen and it will look okay on the shelf. I may contact the company that made it and see if replacement parts are available.

I printed off the list I put together for everyone and tried my best to see all of you listed. I was able to see many of you and those that were gone when I came around to your vendor space I hope to meet you next year.

I want to apologize to Wowabunga that I accidently removed that the ice cream would be made on Thursday. I had copied and pasted the information and that didn't somehow didn't move over. Hopefully people remembered when it was from his original post.

We did sign up at the campground to go again next year. So I guess Bill is willing to try it one more year.

On a personal note, I was pleased to receive my Certified Team Captain pin at the judge's breakfast. I completed the requirements as of the show at Gettysburg.

Also ,why have the car show on grass when blacktop is avaliable??? One rainstorm, and the field turns to mud, and that equates to MANY hours of cleaning and detailing the underside .... Stuart

I heard someone else say something about the show field on Saturday, questioning why it was on grass. Another fellow commented that it was really easy on his feet after walking pavement all week.

Actually, It rained off and on for 2 days and the show field was great. It's a former golf course with excellant drainage. The rain factor has never been a problem on the grass field. Those of you who stayed home because of the weather, missed what thousands of others that went didn't. It was a beautiful Saturday.

Wayne

Guest Skyking
Those of you who stayed home because of the weather, missed what thousands of others that went didn't. It was a beautiful Saturday.

Wayne

Wayne, I'm still kicking my butt! I'll be there next year, I don't care what the weathermen say. Seems like I missed a GREAT TIME!!!!

This was my 5th Hershey in 6 years. I didn't go in 2007 and was miserable. Just like a Lay's potato chip, you can't eat just one. Once Hershey gets in your blood, you have to keep going. My only regret is that it took me to age 54 to start going and I intend to go every year from now on until I'm too old to walk the fields.

I really thought that there were more people and vendors than last year but there were still a lot of dead spaces. Things are definitely down over 2004, my first year, but I attribute that to gas prices and the economy.

I walked all of the fields in three days - some twice as I went back to pick things up that I passed by on the first run thru. My pedometer, although not completely accurate, registered from 2-4 miles each day and the way my feet and legs felt, it sure seemed like it. I used the program to mark the spaces of vendors I wanted to visit and went from there. I walked the car corral twice each day except Saturday when I went through one final time before leaving. If I did have just Saturday to go through the flea market, I would be disappointed as many vendors were packing up and leaving. However, most people were in the show field - very few were wandering the flea market. You just have to go with the idea that Saturday is car show day and the day for making final deals in the car corral.

The weather wasn't bad - not great - but not bad. It's the first time I have not had to wear my winter jacket at least once. Wednesday would have been fine except for the wind. Thursday and Friday weren't the best, but it was reasonably warm and there were several hours of sun each day. Most of the rain came during the night and early morning. Saturday was the rainiest but it cleared as the day went on.

Anyway, I had a great time and am looking forward to 2010. Maybe, just maybe, I will have the thrill of actually buying a car then....