unimogjohn

Avanti R2, 1963, refresh

Still Monday.  Well, it has been a long time, but Greg finally gave us an update.  He has been toiling away making airplane engines at work so car stuff has been on the back burner.  But it looks like his is back in the old car mode for a bit.

Here is his report.

I spent the weekend working on the Avanti.   Pain in the ass things I never have the inclination to do.    Replaced the instrument light bulbs.   Reinstalled the repaired tachometer.  That requires  taking out the driver's seat.   the steering wheel,  parking brake handle,   breaking my hand and arm so that it will contort to the backside of the dash....that  I'd  rather be beaten with a 2 x 4  kind of stuff. Nathan got some OJT on brake light switch replacement.     Did get the tasks done though.

Today of course was a work day.   Bright and sunny but windy and cool.   Did some day job things this morning and then went to lunch with Ken at the Diner.    Got back and he had to run an errand.  Still sunny and bright.  Chilly but not cold.   Wouldn't be many more days like this with Winter coming.   Boss was gone.
        I hadn't road tested the Avanti after  the weekend's work.  I hadn't really put any miles on the  new tires mounted on the other set of Halibrands.   The back of my mind said that I should road test and who was I to say no?
     Clocked out,  fired up the old beast  it was running well  and we  went looking for some asphalt.   That asphalt eventually led to the gravel driveway of the
 Dave Coleman Experience.   I hadn't visited in a while and I always enjoy it.   I never know what I'll find.
     Found something new (old) this time too.    Greeted at his door,  I followed Dave into the shop.   Car on the lift,  couldn't see much of it and didn't recognize what I was looking at.  A bit on the shabby side,  obviously of the now coveted "barn find" category.   Dull black primer on the body.   The car had obviously been ridden hard and put away rusty.
 It looked like the slightly twisted  front bumper had been subjected to a sander with an 80 grit disk.  Work was being done to the front suspension.   Replacing  shocks that must be the laziest I've ever seen, etc.    Foreign bodywork.
      So I ask  "What's this thing?"    as I notice from underneath that it has an engine  with big old rusted Chrysler hemi valve covers.
   Dave's reply  " Cunningham C-3"  ,  one of 25.
        So I hung out a bit,  went along with Dave  in his 4 speed 260 Falcon and watched him eat his lunch.
     Enjoying a few more minutes back at his place and also looking forward to more time in the Avanti.
      Back on the road,  old Seabiscuit lived up to its name.   Exhaust note,  supercharger whistle,   comfortable for me,  it settled into it's galloping speed and brought me home.
   Hard to explain about a car that after all these years it remains a car that I hate to put away and still enjoy  everything about it....it's looks, it's history.....even the occasional  trip beneath it's dash. 
     That Cunningham would make a great second car I guess.......

Tuesday, November 21st.  Spent the day working on the modern cars getting them ready for winter service.  Changed the oil and tires/rims on the Passat W8.  But also spent a few minutes putting the HPOF award on the 1928 Buick.  Sure happy to see that the old girl receive the award.  I have had the car 37 years and have managed to keep her almost original and more importantly, running and driving.

P1100393.JPG

P1100394.JPG

It is Monday, December 4th.  Oh no........  Brownie (79 Chev Sportsvan) and I were heading out to pick up feed for the llamas, and she just quit.  An attempted re-fire yielded nothing so we towed her home with the Suburban and a tow strap.  Fuel is not the problem as I pulled a line and let it crank.  Plenty of fuel coming out.  So it has to be the ignition.

I started to dismantle the distributor to see if anything was amiss.  Well, the little button under the coil pack was gone.  I just so happened to have another distributor cap and rotor so put them on.  Nothing.  So I must have also fried the coil and/or the electronic module.  So I have ordered both for $15 each.  

Here are some pics.

P1100442.JPG

P1100444.JPG

P1100445.JPG

P1100447.JPG

P1100450.JPG

P1100451.JPG

P1100452.JPG

P1100453.JPG

It is Thursday, December 7th.  Brownie the van is alive.  I got a new coil and electronic ignition module in the mail last night.  So this morning I pulled off the distributor cap and removed the old coil.  To my surprise the transfer carbon button  was completely blown away again, actually blown into two parts.  I have no idea what could do this.  Lucky that I have another new distributor cap and it has a new button.  So put in the button, coil and module.  Hit the starter and she roared into life.  Something must have had an internal short.  But I am back on the road.  Now I can get back to work on the Trailblazer.  

Oh, and just got new tractor tire chains for the big Kubota tractor, B3200.  Going to put them on for the winter.  The tires on the tractor are flat type industrial tires, front and back, they really are not any good in the mud and snow.  So chains on the back and front will really help.  

Edited by unimogjohn (see edit history)
  • Like 1

On 5/12/2017 at 3:44 PM, unimogjohn said:

Chris, yes, a 350 with a Carter Quadrajet with a wopping 175 HP.

And with appropriate thirst.

How things have changed! The new VW Tiguan R-line is 162 kW = 217 bhp, 340 Nm = 250 lbf.ft, which is in diesel territory and it is a 2L (122 cu. in.) turbo-charged petrol!  And it is quoted as 6.4 l/100 km = 37 m.p. USgal. (probably nearer 7 in reality = 34 m.p.USg.)

It is Friday, December 8th.  OH NO!!!!!!  Now it is the Suburban.  It failed its annual safety inspection for broken/missing exhaust manifold bolts.  Seems to be a very common problem.  The heads are rusting and breaking off causing the gasket to leak.  I just looked and have three bolts broken off.  There is a kit you can get to hopefully not have to take off the manifold.  So some investigation is in order.  

OK, here is a pic of the broken bolts, seem to be the heads have just vibrated and rusted off.  Thankfully there is room to get in there pretty easily.  Folks say all the others will probably break off if you try to remove them.  You have to use a lot of heat to get them out.  

And I installed the new chains on my B series Kubota tractor.  Rears for today, fronts tomorrow.  I think that it took me four hours to get the rears on.  They are staying on for the winter.  

P1100456.JPG

P1100457.JPG

P1100458.JPG

P1100459.JPG

P1100460.JPG

P1100461.JPG

P1100462.JPG

P1100463.JPG

• Like 1

Re the broken bolts on the exhaust manifold.  A little company has come up with a clamp-on solution using existing open bolt housings on the head itself.  Here is a video.  Will take a look at their products.

• Like 1

It is Monday, December 11th.  Now that I have the rear chains on the tractor I thought I better put on the fronts.  No go!  The tire is too close to the steering arm.  So I ordered a set of 1.5 in spacers from Canada.  

And to fix the Suburban's exhaust manifold problem I ordered three Dorman clamps.  I will post pics when I start the installation.

And we got our first snow, 3.5 inches, but the roads were warm so nothing stuck to them.  Sure is pretty.

P1100464.JPG

It is Wednesday, December 13th.  Wow, cold here this morning, 19 degrees.  But am happy that the garage heat pump is working and keeping it at a nice 46 degrees.

Yesterday I got the Dorman exhaust manifold hold down clamps for the Suburban, two large ones for the passenger rear and driver front, and a smaller one for the driver rear.  The two large ones will be an easy installation, the rear not so much.  The rear clamp is attached to the back of the cylinder head and you can barely get your fingers in there.  I am going to put the truck up on the lift to see if it will be easier to go up by the transmission.  Plan is to do this on Thursday.

Here are pics of the two clamps and one of the bolts that broke off.  

P1100465.JPG

P1100466.JPG

IMG_9420.JPG

Those are some nice cars.  Nice to see them. 

Life on the farm continues.  On a whim we decided that we needed two donkeys, a bonded pair.  So we contacted a rescue group in central Virginia  and adopted Eli and Jerry, both three years old.  Going to be delivered to the farm by the end of next week, their new forever home.

On the car side, going to attempt to put on the two of the Suburban exhaust manifold clamps today.  

eli and jerry.jpg

eli.jpg

eli1.jpg

jerry.jpg

It is Friday, December 15.  Put the Suburban in the garage and turned up the heat to 60 degrees from 45.  Perfect for working on the truck.  Outside it is 27 degrees.

I installed two exhaust manifold clamps.  It took about an hour each.  The passenger side rear and drivers side front.  The front was easiest, but broke the plastic tab for the water temp plug, old and brittle, but still fits in OK.  The passenger side rear was harder as there was less room.  I had to bend the oil dip stick out of the way and hammer down the heat shield  to get it to fit.  But they are in.  Iwill take it in for re-inspection on Monday.  I will do the driver's rear another day, which will be a much harder job as there is no room to work.

I also got new custom seat covers for the front, going to put them on tomorrow.The front seats are starting to look a bit ratty after fourteen years and 185,000 miles.

P1100471.JPG

P1100472.JPG

P1100475.JPG

P1100477.JPG

P1100478.JPG

P1100479.JPG

P1100480.JPG

P1100481.JPG

P1100482.JPG

P1100483.JPG

It is Saturday, December 16th.  One seat done and one to go.  I am a bit under the weather with a good cold, but decided to warm up the garage and see how much I could get done on the Suburban's new camo seat covers by CalTrend.  They are made special order to you have to wait a few days before you get them.  The fit and finish are excellent and the price was right, $161 shipped.  It took me a bit over an hour to put the passenger side on.  I have to do some final adjustment, but very pleased with the results.  I hope that I feel better on Monday to put the other side in.  

And donkey news.  The boys will be here on Friday.  Cannot wait.  They are both three years old and live to 50.  Looks like the kids are going to have donkeys at some point.

P1100484.JPG

P1100485.JPG

P1100486.JPG

Keith, the boys are both 3 years old and a bonded pair, and joined at the hip so to speak.  Their current names are Eli and Jerry Bown.  I have asked our grandkids (Evan 6 and Caroline 7) to each name one.  So we will see what they come up with.  Will let you know. 

Alice has the idea that she would like to have a driving pair, so I guess I will be on the hunt for a carriage or wagon plus all the rigging/harnesses.  Our critter sitter drives large horses and ponies.  We are going to talk to her about training for the donkeys and us.  

It is Monday, December 18th, still fighting a cold, now more of a cough at night.  Slept 11 hours last night.  But I had enough energy to fix the donkey [pasture fence line and barn area for them.  I figure that I have to buy two new gates, a 12 and 10 footer, to make a secure area for them  in the barn.

On the car side I finished putting on the Suburban's new camo seat covers.  They look pretty good, and I hope they last a few years without falling apart.  I know that Trimacar (David Coco) would not approve, but the price was right and something I could do in a couple of hours.  

donkey car.jpg

P1100487.JPG

P1100488.JPG

P1100489.JPG

P1100490.JPG