'50 King Pin removal help

Gary_N

I finally got started on the suspension and brake kit from Cars. Yoda is really in need. I have a couple of questions for some of you guys that have already tackled this work. I'm sure Willy has done this a million times!

King Pin removal: Is there some trick to this other than banging the ba-jesus out of the locking pin? I assume the locking pin always removes front to rear or can the pin be installed either way? Since the pin is flush in the rear and not flush at the front, I'm thinking it's front to rear. The manual just says drive out the pin. This is only the second time I've removed King Pins. The 1st time was on my '48 De Soto and that was easy. Yoda is another story.

I also noticed that there is about a 1/4 inch of play when moving the steering lock to lock. I haven't read about the steering yet and I'm not sure what steering rebuild parts are available but I can't imagine there should be any play, correct?

Thanks!

Gary

On my '58 Chevy, the locking pins could be installed either way, even though the manual stated a certain direction.

If they won't come out one way, bang on 'em in the other direction.

I had to have a machine shop remove my King Pins....they were so frozen they had to use heat in addition to a huge press.

Sorry I didn't reply sooner, but I had problems logging into the new forum software.

Anyway, the locking pin goes in one way only. One end of the pin is flattened somewhat (see picture). If you look at the pin end on, one end is circular, the other is kind of D shaped. You have to drive it out from the D end. If you drive it from the O end, you'll just be locking the pin tighter to the kingpin. Clean up your knuckle support really well to check which end is which.

post-35932-14313809894_thumb.jpg

Thanks for the replies. I finally got them out. I had to remove them on the bench with a BFH and thick punch. Driver's side took awhile. Passenger side was much easier. I was thinking I was doing something wrong since my rust bucket '48 De Soto pins were a breeze to remove.

Gary