1928? Pontiac 6

Guest mike bl

Guest mike bl

I aquired a sawmill built on a Ford T frame with a Pontiac 6 engine. I am a T guy so would like to find a home for the engine but first i want to verify what I have. My wild guess a January forth, 1928 casting date. Engine serial number P235261. Head #s front 526117-10, rear 526117-2. block casting date A48 perhaps. This engine is complete with a zenith carb as found on a Ford A and has a three speed trans with universal. I will start it the next day or two to check for knocks. Sure hope some one can help. Thanks, Mike

Guest kaycee

Hi,

I believe ( as you do) that this is an early'28 engine. The '28 engine numbers went from

P-213000 to P-461000 according to my parts book. The heads numbers show 526117 for each head for '26 '27,'28, and '29. The '28 &'29 engines had fuel pumps, and '26&'27 engines had vacuum tanks, so you should have a fuel pump on yours. 'Hope I helped.

Have a good weekend!

kaycee

Guest mike bl

Kaycee, thanks for the info I waited until I started the engine to reply. It runs but has a cam speed knock. I wonder what year Pontiacs were introduced and if this engine was used in the Oakland? BTW it had a fuel pump at some time. If anyone reading this wants this engine/trans it's free just pick it up here. I'm located in California near the Oregon border. Thanks, Mike

Guest kaycee

Thanks Mike,

'Glad I was able to help. The first Pontiac came out in 1926 available in only the coupe or 2dr.sedan (coach) body styles. According to my parts books, the

Oakland 6 was a different engine although Pontiac also had a V8 offered one year in '32 in addition to their 6 cyl. The parts book indicates that the same engine block on your '28 was used in '26,'27, and '28, but with your serial number you definately have a '28 engine.

I wish I was closer to your location 'cause I have a '28 4dr. sedan that I would'nt mind having an extra engine for, and need to pull my engine out one of these days to replace the flywheel ring gear (one chipped tooth, but I have a new ring gear). I don't know what shipping your engine to Illinois would cost, but going by the weight, probably a mint.

kaycee

e-mail littleeight@att.net

Guest kaycee

Hi Mike,

I recieved your e-mail but my reply came back undelivered. I don't know what happened unless you have a anti spam on your e-mail acct. If you can, phone me and I can call back 'cause I have unlimited calling. Also, e-mail me pictures as you mentioned in your e-mail. Thanks.

kaycee Ph. 815 223 3919

• 3 weeks later...
Guest roger zimmerman

I live in CA and have a 28 Pontiac. I would be interested in your engine if it is still available. I would be willing to drive up and pick it up.

Please let me know if it is available.