• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 jan arnett (2)

jan arnett (2)

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 255 posts

Posted 29 July 2009 - 05:24 PM

I have volunteered to help an elderly gentleman get his 1909 Maxwell running. We have found out that the time gear has a three inch section broken out and the center is split. Has anyone else had this problem. How can I remove the pieces which have fallen in the crankcase? Is there a paper gasket between the cam case and block or is it cork. Right now there is nothing and it is spewing oil all over the place.

It appears that I have to remove the cam lobes and the timing gear. They are pinned on and I would like suggestions on removing the pins. What is the level of oil required in the pan to start up the engine. By the way this is a t 2 cyc. engine.

Thanks for your help.

#2 Seldenguy

Seldenguy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 656 posts

Posted 29 July 2009 - 07:58 PM

Jan -- You must by now have the cam case cover off. Remove the timing rod and the timing wires,also the air line going to the oil tank. The cam case should now come up off of the four studs that held the cover on. The cam lobe pins should be tapered and only can be removed one way. a careful inspection will show the direction.Once off you should be able to remove any or all pieces that are in the crankcase. Bear in mind something has gone radically wrong in this engine. I have never seen or heard of a timing gear being broken or damaged to the extent you described. There may be other broken parts in there(ie. broken rod bolt, connecting rod cap,piston skirt, ect) The lower replacement gasket can be a paper matieral of a thickness to achieve the proper backlash in the timing gears. Good luck helping out the gentlemen and keep us posted on the projects progress. Bob

#3 jan arnett (2)

jan arnett (2)

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 255 posts

Posted 29 July 2009 - 09:15 PM

Here are pictures.

Attached Thumbnails

• 1909 maxwell 002.jpg
  • 1909 maxwell 001.jpg
  • 1909 maxwell 003.jpg

Jan Arnett
1916 Model T
1923 Moon Touring 6/40
1924 Star Coupe
1923 Dodge Screen Side
1981 VW Rabbit
:cool:

#4 jan arnett (2)

jan arnett (2)

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 255 posts

Posted 28 November 2009 - 10:29 PM

got it running. Here is an original photo of it on the gliddon

Attached Thumbnails

• 1953 glidden tour albert l.jpg

Jan Arnett
1916 Model T
1923 Moon Touring 6/40
1924 Star Coupe
1923 Dodge Screen Side
1981 VW Rabbit

#5 DavidMc

DavidMc

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 241 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 29 November 2009 - 07:38 AM

Jan,

I would think that the top magneto drive gear has been set up so that it is meshing too deeply into the timing gear and loading the timing gear. The timing gear being the weaker of the 2 has been the one to fail. If there is no gasket between the top cover that carries the magneto gear it might drop the magneto gear into the timing gear enough to cause this. Have you tried Merle S for a replacement gear?
David - Australia

#6 DavidMc

DavidMc

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 241 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 29 November 2009 - 07:40 AM

Jan,
Just realised how old this post was and it is now fixed thankfully.
David - Australia

#7 jan arnett (2)

jan arnett (2)

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 255 posts

Posted 02 December 2009 - 01:49 AM

David: You and I have been communicating on the Maxwell Yahoo site and i have posted additional pictures there of the car, the owner and there ventures. Have a great day,
Jan Arnett
1916 Model T
1923 Moon Touring 6/40
1924 Star Coupe
1923 Dodge Screen Side
1981 VW Rabbit

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users