1939 Plymouth Remote Control Gearshift Cable

Guest jmh1939

Guest jmh1939

Hello, my 39 plymouth P8 is slow shifting from 1st to 2nd gear. I noticed that the (remote control gearshift cable) button is slow moving up preventing me from shifting normally. I had the car on a lift yesterday and see that I have to remove part of the floor to gain access to the upper tranmission area. I take it that the cable needs lubed or serviced, is it like a speedometer cable that can be removed or what do I need to do in order to fix the problem. The Plymouth shop manual is no help. It takes 5 to 7 seconds for the button to pop all the way up so I can shift into 2nd gear. Also if it can be removed and lubed what is the best product to use.

Thanks for the help

Jerry

• 3 years later...
Guest afreuden
Hello, my 39 plymouth P8 is slow shifting from 1st to 2nd gear. I noticed that the (remote control gearshift cable) button is slow moving up preventing me from shifting normally. I had the car on a lift yesterday and see that I have to remove part of the floor to gain access to the upper tranmission area. I take it that the cable needs lubed or serviced, is it like a speedometer cable that can be removed or what do I need to do in order to fix the problem. The Plymouth shop manual is no help. It takes 5 to 7 seconds for the button to pop all the way up so I can shift into 2nd gear. Also if it can be removed and lubed what is the best product to use.

Thanks for the help

Jerry

Hey Jerry,

I have the exact same car and the exact same problem. The control cable is very difficult to push. Any chance you can help me with what worked for you? Thanks so much. Your help would be amazing.

Andy Freudenberger (andyfreudenberger@yahoo.com)

Guest jmh1939

Hi Andy, Check your email and spam I sent you a message

Hey Jerry,

I have the exact same car and the exact same problem. The control cable is very difficult to push. Any chance you can help me with what worked for you? Thanks so much. Your help would be amazing.

Andy Freudenberger (andyfreudenberger@yahoo.com)

• 5 years later...
  • 2 years later...

Here's what has worked for me, I remove the shifter cable and soak it in a bucket of diesel fuel (5 gallon buck and 1 gallon of diesel fuel) and let it soak for a couple of hours.  I then pull the cable out of the bucket and start working the cable in and out.  I then put it back in the bucket of diesel fuel and take the cable out every hour and work the cable in and out and repeat the process until the cable works freely.  Depending on how much gunk in in the cable it can take one day to a couple of days.  Make sure you use rubber gloves when working the cable and also putting the shifter cable into the bucket.