1948 Desoto motor tranny and rear end

Guest 78airdoctor

Guest 78airdoctor

Can anyone tell me what a flat head 6 cylinder motor, fluid drive tranny, and matching rear axel would be worth? all items are still in the car and have about 80,000 miles on them. car performed great till it was parked and has not been started in 20 years. all original. any ideas?

Guest 78airdoctor

thats prob what im going to do. id rather give the drive train to a guy that needs it. im not looking to do a full restoration or anything.

Why would anyone consider a Chevy motor when the Mopars are so far superior and just as available?

By the way, If yiou are going with any V8 you will have to do something with the steering box.

Guest 78airdoctor

well i have 2 chevey motors sittinging in my shop waiting for homes. im not going to buy another motor when i have 2 great running motors to choose from. And the steering box will not be a problem, nor will the entire front half ove the frame. im not going to use it.

Guest 78airdoctor

i get the feeling you guys are not going to like what im going to do with this car. my uncle bought the car in the late 60's. drove it for a few years and then parked it and pretty much forgot about it. he said if i want it i can have it. its rough on the inside and outside. i dont have $50,000 to put into this car to make it stock again. but i think the car needs a second chance no matter how it looks, or how origanal it is. so yes i am going to do alot of customizing to it. nothing to crazy though. i would rather see the car back on the road again than see it rot away in his barn. i know i know, ''if you not going to make it like it was, than leave it alone''. I cant do that. i know my uncle would love to see it on the road again no matter what i do to get it there.

I say do what trips your trigger with the car....ENJOY IT!! That way, you will be getting the car back on the road and help others get their cars on the road with the parts you sell.

Guest 78airdoctor

well i thought i would try to help out anyone that was looking for parts. but if thats the way everyone feels on here, im sure the scrap yard will give me some money for the stuff. :rolleyes:

Some of us are totally against going to an updated drivetrain, and especially changing over to Chevy motor in a MOPAR, but to the guy who needs the discarded parts from your car, he will be happy about it.

Guest 78airdoctor

Hey guys, i here for a commom interest, the love of cars, no matter whats done to them. i dont want to **** anyone off, but i know when the car is done its going to have a chevy motor in it, prob a differant front frame, bagged on the ground, and i'll go from there after all that is done.

So back to my first question, how much its the drive train worth, and anyone need it or know of anyone who would need it?

what cha goin to do to it? I love them there desotos. thinkin about pickin one up sometime soon.

I have a 37 for sale reasonable.

Second fron the right.

, I would go with the Hemi myself.

post-52542-143138092919_thumb.jpg

• 4 months later...
Guest 78airdoctor

Well i got the car. going to start getting into it soon. so if there is anyone out there looking for a numbers matching motor and drivetrain for a 1948 desoto. ill have it all for sale soon. let me know. i would post some pics....if i knew how.

Guest 78airdoctor

Im in Youngstown Ohio. well 20 mins south of Younstown. a town called Columbiana. Im a shipping manager so i have the means of shipping anything i need to by truck frieght.

I have a feeling YOU won't be happy with what you are going to do. To rebuild that car and do it right, with modern engine trans brakes steering etc etc etc is going to cost a hell of a lot more money, and take a hell of a lot more time and talent, than getting it running stock.

What difference does it make how many Chevys you have in the garage when you already have a DeSoto engine installed in the car? How easy do you want it?

You can do a complete rebuild on a flathead six easier than an OHV V8 and the total cost of parts is comparable, if not cheaper for the flathead.

When we see a question like this we know that 9 times out of 10 that car will be for sale in a few years as an unfinished project, hacked apart so bad it is worthless to anybody.

Guest 78airdoctor

look, i have done this more times than you all know. i know what im doing and im NOT working out of a 1 car garage. this car will get done. and it will get whatever treatment i dicide to do to it. stock cars are for people that dont have any fab skills or imagination. you think that a v8 swap will be easy. it will. but i have many more plans the will take more time and effort. again im trying to sell these parts to some one who IS doing a stock resteration. i could just scrap them but i dont want to do that.

C'mon guys.....give this guy a break. I know some of us don't like non-stock cars, but he is asking for our help. Let's show him that we are a helpful bunch and not so critical. He is here looking for information and I for one will give him whatever information I can. I wish he lived closer to me so that I could get those parts. This guy could have just gotten the car and ripped out the drive train and junked the parts without any consideration to others needing the parts, but here he is....asking if anyone needs the parts. Personally, if a few guys did not "rod" their cars, I would not have ended up with some of the original hard to find parts for my 1931 Dodges.

I am a rodder myself, I just dont like the cookie cutter idea of Chev engines. Most of the rod runs feature old Fords with Chev runnung gear. Mopar guys are a little more pure to the manufacturer. Mopar in a Mopar.

Just sayin....

The value of that stuff is to the guy that has a 48 Desoto and even at that probably would want it for free. Although just about every hot rod I have ever built came to me just as Rusty suggests.

Dont be leanin your bicyle on a tree.

Yep...a MoPar engine in a MoPar would be the ultimate combo and I think 350 Chevy engines are way too over-rated, but that does not mean we have to give the guy a hard time. Clearly, this post started out about the leftover parts and not the car's future. Who knows...maybe the guy is another Boyd or Foose and can come up with a really nice rod.

OK... to answer your original question.

I will gladly pay $200 for the engine, trans, driveshaft, rearend, and whatever else you are discarding from your 1948 DeSoto. Deliver it to my driveway and I will hand over the cash.

For the record, I think it is a mistake to gut the car. But having pointed that out, my conscience is clean.

Guest 78airdoctor

that you keiser 31! i would gladly put a mopar motor in this car if i had one. And yes i could buy one but i cant justifiy doing that when i have to chevys that need homes first. As for me being another Boyd of Foose... well id like to thinks so but im not going to kid anyone...im not that good. Rusty ol toole, im glad you made me that offer, but i was hoping that all that stuff was worth a lil more than that. Also, im going to have the front frame section complete for sale too. Brakes, spindels, shocks, all that stuff. And where is your driveway anyway lol? Below are some links of my rides that i have built. And as soon as i make a profile for the desoto, ill post that link. prob tonight somtime. if you are interested in seeing more of my work on other peoples rides, ill post some more links so you guys can check them out too.

My 1978 c-10

Owner Profile - 78airdoctor's 1978 Chevy - C-10 - Street Source

My 1991 s-10 My first ride. ( sold it and built the full size )

Owner Profile - 78airdoctor's 1991 Chevy - S-10 - Street Source

My 1964 Ford Milky way ( kinda me and my dads prodject together)

Owner Profile - 78airdoctor's 1964 Ford - Galaxie - Street Source

Edited by 78airdoctor (see edit history)

I think $200 is generous. Last week when I was at my local junkyard they were paying $80 a ton. All the parts would not weigh even 1/2 a ton or $40 worth.

You already told us it is useless old junk not worth a damn, not even worth trying to see if it will run. Not worth using when it's already in the car, even though you are on a budget.

even in the US it must be getting close to where those parts are worth more than $200 , there availablity is not going to last forever , try and find them in a few years when they have all been turned into scrap(junk) and gone to Japan or whereever, if they were closer to home (ie) in New Zealand i would,nt hesitate . i collect most mopar parts i can (at a reasonable price ) and usualy sell them on for only what they cost me , i,m not into old cars to make money.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hello 78airdoctor,

You might want to post the engine and axle pic's on the 39-47 Dodge truck site. The third member might be wanted by someone who has a 1/2 or 3/4 ton truck and wants lower gears to cruise faster down the freeway. The third member could also be used in 1948-53 pilot house 1/2 and 3/4 ton trucks. Good luck in selling the parts. Don't scrap them! Even if you have to give them away in the end, it's better that someone can use or save the parts for a later day. Just my 2cents worth of advice.:)

Guest 78airdoctor

thanks! i will do that. still working on the rear frame right now. when i move up front to tear everything out then i will post pics of the motor and tranny on some different forums .

• 1 month later...
Guest DPAUL272
well i thought i would try to help out anyone that was looking for parts. but if thats the way everyone feels on here, im sure the scrap yard will give me some money for the stuff. :rolleyes:

do you still have the running gears if so how much and where are you located thanks David Paul

Guest 78airdoctor

well i still have all the parts from the car. Motor, tranny, rear axel and drive shaft. What exactly were you looking for? oh im in youngstown ohio.

Guest DPAUL272

everything also any 6volt items u have as someone has converted mine to 12 volt and i would like to put mine back original i'm all the way in knoxville,tn. though

Guest 78airdoctor

oh ok. how does $800 shipped for motor, tanny, rear end and axel sound? i think thats reasonable for all orig stuff. oh the rearend is missing both drums. i had trouble getting the wheels off. did you see the pics?

Guest DPAUL272

haven't seen pic's yet and i'll get back with you waiting on insurance settlement price sounds fair how about any 6volt items