1947 239 intake manifold sleeve rotted can anybody help me with getting one?

Guest Torpeedo_25

Guest Torpeedo_25

I pulled my hair out trying to figure out why this engine would not run correctly. It ran hot plus I thought it was 180deg out. I replace the timming chain etc.. I finally removed the exhust & intake manifolds figuring the butter fly heat deverter was closed or something. I looked down the throat of the intake and low and behold the sleeve in the throat was rotted through. I think this is the problem after all that bs.. I am asking can anybody help me with this?? I need a new throat sleeve. Who would ever think this was the problem?? Vacuum seemed ok etc.. Please let me know if any one out there has this part.. Thank you, George aka Torpeedo_25:confused:

I used to own a '50 Pontiac. It had a miss on # 3 cylinder. It turned out to be the same problem. There was a small hole in the casting between the intake and exhaust chambers. It caused an internal vacuum leak. It acted like an EGR valve that was stuck partially open. I cleaned the area until it was bare metal and applied JB Weld. The fix worked. It last for the16 years that I owned the car. ( still kicking myself for selling that car! ) The hole that I had was about the diameter of a pencil. If it was much bigger a replacement manifold or weld repair would have been required. Good luck with your car.

Guest Torpeedo_25

The part is a full press in sleeve. I removed it it is rotted almost fully around, jb weld is ok for small stuff but this is to far gone. The diameter of this press in sleeve is 17/8" plus I am figuring about .095 for a press in fit & the leagth is 2-7/8". I am calling engine shops in the area today to see if anybody knows about these or where to find. I am surprized that it seems nobody knows about this. It would seem this has been a problem issue with this heat riser.. Thank you, George aka Torpeedo_25

Edited by Torpeedo_25 (see edit history)

Guest Torpeedo_25

To all here at this great information sight, I had this piece machined and repressed it in. Put this all back together and started the engine. Runs like a champ now. Thank you for all the help!!