1901 Merry Olds Replica

Guest deer_remington

Guest deer_remington

New to this site. I just inherited my father in laws 1903 Merry Olds curved dash replica car. The serial # plate on this car states "Merry Olds Ser # 390119, American Air Products Corp. Fort Lauderdale, Fl." It has a Clinton engine Model B1290 1138. The car is in fairly good shape, I am getting ready to get in road worthy again. Anyone out there that can help me find some info out about this car and the manufacturer? Looking forward to getting this thing going again. My mother in law says she knows for a fact that the last time it was started was in 1970. Any info that anyone may be able to provide would be appreciated. Thanks Looking thru some paperwork with my mother-in-law I just found out that the car is a 1901 instead of a 1903.

Edited by deer_remington
new information (see edit history)

These are fairly plentiful and you should be able to buy a reproduction or actual brochure fairly easily. I am sure Walter Miller has one. They were popular with the Shriner's in the early 70's and Dairy Queen had a contest for all their franchises too. We had one at our dealership and used it for parades, etc. CDO replicas were built by several manufacturers, the Ft. Lauderdale guys were one of the more modern producers although there was at least one who attempted to build them again in the 80's.

The replicas built in FL are about half scale. I believe the site Czar has a full scale replica built by the former E W Bliss Co. of Canton, OH. The Bliss cars were very accurate, street legal, with about 20 HP Cushman 2-cyl motors. They were also built in the late 50's early 60's time frame.

During my formative, pre-driving age years, my buddy's dad worked for Bliss. When they quit building the cars the employees were able to buy/acquire? leftover parts. His dad brought home enough parts to assemble 2 more cars. I suspect there are several more "post production" cars out there. "Helping" his dad assemble these cars & riding in them helped develope my interest in antique cars.

Jdome, I think the car this gentleman has was made by Vintage Reproductions which is close to a full size car. I own a 1903 CDO and also owned one of the replicas. I know of at least 4 different companies that made them and have a file somewhere but can't seem to put my hand on it. At lunch tomorrow I will see what we have in the library as I think I gave them a copy of all my literature.

I do not think the Bliss had a 2-cylinder engine. Pretty sure of it but I have been wrong before! Bliss's were popular as they were built much sturdier, steel body. The VP cars came in four passenger, two passenger and I believe another model as well.

Hallock made an even more minature version as shown above...it rests in my basement!

post-30866-143138089233_thumb.jpg

Steve, You may be correct about the 1-cyl engine. I'm going by memory of my childhood impression and that was some time ago. Its been awhile since I've seen a Bliss surrey.

The original poster stated that his car was made by American Air Products which I believe was either connected with Vintage Reproductions or later became VR. VR also made a 1903 Cadillac which they advertised as 1902. I bought one of those for my young son because I have a real one and my plan was to foster his interest in my antique cars. It did until he turned 16 and wanted a real, big boys car and turned his interest from old cars to young girls. Yuk!

The Bliss indeed was only a 1-cylinder engine sold by Dyer Products Co of Canton, Ohio and manufactured by the E.W. Bliss Co. It was called the Surrey. The Merry Olds was built by American Air Products of Fort Lauderdale, Florida as early as the late 50's. Also, there was a bit smaller version called the Rollsmobile and also built by a company in Fort, Lauderdale, Florida called Starts Manufacturing. Later on Vintage reproductions made the Olds, Cadillac and Ford. Another company from West Virginia also started up to build CDO replicas and exhibited the cars in Hershey in the late 80's or early 90's. Not sure what happened to them. I believe there may be at least one other company as well.

Naturally with all sorts of plans being available from sources like Popular Mechanics and others there are many home built versions as well.

Guest Steve_Heald

Does the Bliss Surrey qualify for the SGCV class? I have a neighbor who owns one and I'd like him to bring it to the Eastern Spring meet next year in Canandaigua if it qualifies.

Steve, that is a call the SGCV committee has to make. Rick Lay is the chairman of the committee. The car has to be "pre-certified" as a class participant by the committee and I do not think that the Surrey has been discussed yet. Somone would have to petition for it to be a part of the class. Unlike the other replicas that were factory built there could be a potential for this car as it was built to be distributed by dealers and to be street legal. However, not my call and I am not even sure how I personally feel about it in that class.

Guest Steve_Heald

Thanks for the clarification Steve. I'll pass along the SGCV pre-certification process to my neighbor. He can decide if he wants to persue that. He may not given that he just acquired a '23 Ford that I'm quite sure he'll be putting in DPC next June. I'll take a little blame for getting him into our hobby.

• 1 month later...
Guest palmbeachpatty

We have a 1901 curved dash.... made in Ft Lauderdale... we live in Palm Beach Gardens FL..send me an email or tell me how to send photos here email edavidusa@msn.com,,,, figured it out and added pictures

post-63464-143138105664_thumb.jpg

post-63464-143138105665_thumb.jpg

post-63464-143138105666_thumb.jpg

post-63464-143138105668_thumb.jpg

Edited by palmbeachpatty
added photos (see edit history)

• 2 years later...

Hi,

I just pick up a Bliss Slurry 1903 old's replica great car! they started with 5 HP then went to 8 HP. Mine will do about 38 mph. It's all orginal. The story I heard was they sent 1 to Ford for testing and some goverment offical saw it. And the went on a mission to put the slurry out of bussiness. It would not meet the safety law's. It is said that just 500 were made. and somthing like 35 or so still survive. I just took it out of the trailer today and it's a gas to drive. You have to get used to the tiller steering. But my wife said she had to have it. I am glad I got it. It has won may award's. I will try and post picture's later.

I even have the orginal top with the pull down blind's. :D

larry

Guest goodoldboy77

i just came across a car that sounds a lot like what you are talking about. I am just wondering if anyone could help me find any more info. I have the serial number, and am just wondering exactly what i have and where to go from here. Thank you!

There were several replica's made from Florida, WV to Ohio. There is a lot of factory literature on these cars some which you still can buy some from literature dealers. I have never heard the Ford story and it does not ring true. Driving any of these replica's 38 MPH if you could get them to go that fast would be very, very unsafe. Goodoldboy, post pictures and we might be able to tell you what you have (there are also tons of homemade versions of the Olds)

• 7 years later...

All Bliss was manufactured with a 8 hp Cushman engine with electric start and pedal start. and a two speed forward with reverse transmission,  no other engine 

was used at the Factory. 

the smaller engine Clinton were used by the 3/4 scale replicas.    

one one about 3-4 years ago I had over a dozen of those little cars. even manufactured a bunch of the 3/4 scale, just wasn't able to get get the price needed. 

I tried, but I use have know when my  two grand son would come to visit and we had the Assemble line running, they wasn't even interested in test driving them...

that should have been a real signal of what I was dealing with. I will be glad to try and answer any question

bobabbott@atrol.com 

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...