fuel gauge sending unit

Guest Sanman

Guest Sanman

looking for a fuel gauge sending unit for 90 Buick Reatta convertible. Anyone know where I can find one, the local Bucik dealer said there isn't one available to him.

Here is a picture of the unit and it is not difficult to see why it might have problems.

The tan curver part at the top covers the resistor windings.

Note that it is held in place with two screws and there are two screws that are usesed as spacers and are also part of the electrical circuit.

The connectors I have seen always look marginal.

The wiper that contacts the resistance wrap, is a one piece stamping and very thin...on the pivot end (where the float rod attaches) it also has a wiper to ground. I had one that was not touching and when I attempter to bend it slightly for contact, it broke. I was able to fix it with a flexable wire.

Second picture has drawing added to help visualise what you can't see.

post-30596-143138080278_thumb.jpg

post-30596-143138080279_thumb.jpg

Guest Richard D

Did that rust form while it was in the tank? If so I wonder if a can of fuel system cleaner would emulsify any water in the tank and burn it with the fuel. On small aircraft before we fly we always check for water in the fuel. The tanks always have a drain point at the lowest part of the tank and there are special cups that open a valve and drain a couple ounces of fuel. You can see the water and fuel in the drain cup. There is almost always some water in the fuel from condensation.

• 9 years later...
3 minutes ago, MJMBrooks said:

For anyone looking for a new fuel sender, Dorman has them. The part number is 692-102. It's a direct fit for 1989.

Thanks for posting the part number. Have you installed one of these in your car? If so did you have to do any modifications to make it work?

That part should be the same but I wonder why they only say 1988......do they have a part listed for the 1990 Seville or Eldorado.........what does the part cost, might buy one for reference.

The problem .........it might work on a 1988 but for some reason Buick changed those three hard  lines to shorter or longer depending on the year.....even in '90-91 the convertible was different lengths.

Hate to spend $80 just to get a new sending unit that would need to be transferred to the old assembly......better off scrounging pick n pulls 

• Thanks 1