1940 Cowl Tag decode

stil

I have a 1940 Pontiac model 2511 and am trying to get the correct paint for this car.

The cowl tag denotes a paint code of 90 - D and a trim code of 91 - K.

Can anyone help me to decode these numbers so I can get the correct paint color for this car.

Thank you

Mark

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Pete Woodruff

Mark,

The 90D paint code is a two-tone job, Renfrew Gray Metallic upper and Glacier Blue Metallic lower. The wheels should be Glacier Blue Metallic with a white stripe. The trim code 91 for a series 25 car calls for Tan Plush (Mohair) upholstery.

Pete,

Thanks so much for this info. This is what I suspected. The car had been repainted so I was not sure about the 2-Tone. The wheels (under the current blue paint) do have 3 stripes - 2 thin and a thick in the middle.

Now all I need to do is find a paint supplier that can mix this paint.

Another question: Can you provide information on the steering column color?

Thanks again.

Mark

Guest Pete Woodruff

Mark,

The steering column and gearshift lever should be Sandalwood Beige, the Dupont color number in 1940 was 202-52874. The instument panel radio delete plate, or radio control finish plate, plus the clock medallion and clock are paint number 246-6018. I don't have a color name for this paint.

You guys are awesome. Thanks very much for the info. I am really looking forward to getting my car back to as original as I can. It is/was far from perfect but I am making good progress.

Thanks again

Mark