third brake light 6 Volt

Jdee

I'd like to get one of those Fancy Led<BR>type lights, But Yeah I never thought about the regular set ups.<BR>Thx Jdee<P>I like to drive around town with my old ride!<BR>the kids love it more than the grown ups..<BR> gtt%2Ejpg

Nice looking Buick. You might be able to use an LED unit by carrying a 12v motorcycle battery in the trunk and drawing current for the unit from that. A gel cell would work too, and eliminate the possibility of leaks. With the amount of current you would use, you would probably only need to recharge it annually. ~ hvs

Thanks David. I forgot all about the stop light switch. blush.gif" border="0 That car probably has a simple 2 pole switch that screws onto the master cylinder. How would you run 2 different voltages off of that switch? confused.gif" border="0 Guess my idea wasn't as simple as I thought.<P>Another problem. If the LED unit had turn signals in it, how would you activate that without wiring it into the car's turn signal switch, and that would again lead to mixed voltages wouldn't it?<P>Go for the bulb exchange! ~ hvs<p>[ 10-07-2001: Message edited by: hvs ]

If you want to use Howard's dual voltage idea, pick up a couple of 6 volt relays and wire them to your left and right turn signal/brake light and ground. Feed your 12 volts to the relay so that it is passed on to the third brake light/turn signal when either 6 volt light is activated.Most 4 terminal relays I've used come with a wiring diagram. grin.gif" border="0

• 3 weeks later...

You can get brighter lights with some aluminum foil behind the bulb. Wrinkle it before you put it in. <P>Another idea would be one of the early 1950's back up lights with a red lens. They mounted on the bumper arm or the flat metal between the bumper and the trunk. Some of them even had STOP moulded in the glass but those seem to be pretty expensive.