1941 SSE Heater Hose Leak

Hi,

After years of dabbling with mid-50's Oldsmobiles I just bought my first pre-war Buick about a month ago. Needless to say I'm still learning about the straight eight and about how Buick did things before the war so my apologies for sounding like a moron. So yesterday I was driving around and decided to play with the heater for the first time and everything seemed fine until I got back to the driveway and popped the hood. I noticed a small coolant leak around the front end of the heater hose, particularly coming out of a copper fitting that has a valve with a wingnut. The leak actually seems to be coming out around the valve and still leaks after tightening. The copper fitting itself is greenish like an old penny and I'm considering replacing it. Problem is I couldn't find the name of the piece anywhere in the shop manual. Thanks for any help you all can provide!

Check that. The part is a brass fitting (don't know why I thought copper) that screws into the thermostat neck on the block and the heater hose connects to it. Any info on reconditioning the part or the name of the part so I can obtain another would be greatly appreciated.

TRR41,

The heater valve packing has a leak. With care, remove the valve stem and the packing nut. Purchase packing "string" and insert a couple of coils into the valve body. There is no need to replace the valve assembly.

Grandpa