1941 Packard Clipper Convertible by Darrin

Guest 1950Buick

Guest 1950Buick

I am looking for photos of the 1941 Packard Clipper convertible built by Dutch Darrin for Errol Flynn. Although it is often mentioned in books and magazines, I have yet to see the actual car (which should still exist). Anyone have pics they could post?

Guest 1950Buick

Yes, he had a Darrin-bodied 180 as well but I am only interested in seeing the Clipper. Someone's gotta have a photo.

This the photo you're thinking of? It's been published in any number of books and magazines over the years, though I don't have any info on the date of the photo or the photo credit. The car was a 42, not a 41, and I have no knowledge that the car has survived, though I do believe a couple of knock-offs have been attempted.

post-49751-143138068019_thumb.jpg

Guest bkazmer

the spring 1992 Cormorant has photos and an article - Tom Sumner once owned the original, and said it was destroyed. He recreated one from a closed Clipper.

Guest 1950Buick

Thank you for the photo. I guess a black & white image is the best I'm going to get if the information from "bkazmer" is correct and the original car was destroyed.

The car is clearly a '41 - not a '42. Note the '41 grille. My information about the car is correct, however the 1:43 scale replica that was created by Western Models of England for Mini Marque has a gray-beige boot cover. Maybe their model is based on Tom Sumner's later replica?

2f6c_12.jpg

344f_12.jpg

39ad_12.jpg

• 7 months later...
Guest Tom sumner

The western models replica is not based om my car, in fact I wrote to them asking them where they got the design- and rec'd no answer. I did own the original- it was peach with medium green upholstery. I sold it in 1951 ( not my worst financial decision, but up there!). I bought the car in 1949 off a car lot in Santa Monica for $1500. It had a terrible paint job of dark metallic green. There's a photo of it in peach in Automobile Quarterly vol 34 issue 1.

I later remade the Errol Flynn car out of a 1947 Super 8- which is now on display at the American Driving Museum in El Segundo- until August 2010

I would like to know what happened to the original- I heard it was auctioned off in England at some point. Anyone know??

Edited by Tom sumner
Corrected (see edit history)

The car is clearly a '41 - not a '42. Note the '41 grille.

Interesting thread. I never knew the real car survived.

By the way, the grille on the 1941 and '42 Clippers were identical. The only difference would be the addition of brightwork "whiskers" that wrap around the front of the fenders for 1942.

The original car was a 1941 Clipper. Take a close look at the photo that Owen posted and you'll see the one-year-only (1941) parking light lenses on the original car. From 1942-47, the Clippers used a taller lens.

That same photo was published in an issue of The Cormorant during the 1970s, as well as a photo of Flynn's chauffeur standing next to the car.