Doodle Bug Scooters

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for striping info. I finished painting the fuel tank and have it temporarily mounted. My tank mounts do not look the same as other Model B units but fits nice and fills the gap at the back of the seat. The tank also sits hirer and may help with fuel delivery when fuel is low. Vern at the last Doodle Bug meet in Webster said it was upside down like the first picks sent. I need to know how wide the stripping is on the side panels and are there decals of  the BUG on both sides of the panels on the Model B, and should there be Cinton decals on the sides of fuel tank. I know the frame should be red and will be eventually.NeqoQH2MT6qCYoG1TyMUxA_thumb_3bc.thumb.jpg.8c022a49625d85b20742c97298efa106.jpg 

Jonny D.

Jonny D - 

You have your gas tank mounted correctly. It is supposed to sit high, up at the back of the seat like that. There are factory photos and manuals that show this. It does still "work" if the tank is mounted lower, with the brackets being upside down and I see a lot of scooters like that, but it is supposed to be mounted high and the tank tucked in close. 

The stripe of the side covers is just over 1/8" wide, but not quite 3/16". Nobody will probably ever take a ruler to your side cover to check, but if you really want it accurate, that's the measurement to go for.

Your question about the decals is really a great question. I have studied this for years trying to determine what was originally done and what is correct. The only conclusion I have from all of that is that they were very inconsistent and there were constant changes, thus many variations in what decals were applied and where. There are original scooters and factory photos and publications showing almost every configuration possible. It seems that many, but not all, Doodle Bugs had the Doodle Bug logo on only the left hand side. The only consistent thing about the Doodle Bug logo is that the "bug" always faced forward, towards the front of the scooter. On the right hand side was usually, but not always, where the Hiawatha or Western Flyer decal went (was not usually on the left, but not always!). Some Clinton powered scooters came with black tanks, some came with red tanks (mounting brackets were always red, even with a black tank). Some Clinton tanks had decals on the ends, some didn't (this was also true of Briggs tanks). Basically unless you know what the original paint looked like, you can restore yours in virtually any decal configuration and it won't ever be "wrong." 

Speaking of side covers, you should have small holes on each side for the choke rod. Both side panels should have this. The choke rod for Clinton powered scooters comes out of the left side of the scooter and is a a wire with loop on the end, almost like a coat hanger. The choke rod for a Briggs powered scooter comes out the right side and has a small knob at the end of it (the choke rod on real61ss' scooter is actually a Briggs rod). Most of the side panels also had hole on the right side for the switch to be mounted when using an accessory lighting kit. There was often (but not always!) an aluminum plug used to fill that hole that could be removed if installing a lighting kit. The hole ends up smack in the middle of the Doodle Bug logo!

Thanks for the very useful info. I have an original left side panel form a Model B I picked up at the 2018 reunion. It has the hole for the choke wire or rod?  I used it for a pattern for both sides and was handy for locating all the original mounting slots and choke hole locations. It must be interesting to start a cold engine, holding the brake with one hand, pulling the choke with other and kicking it over while standing on one leg.

Jonny D.

Glad you brought up about the choke rod being on the wrong side of my scooter, I may change it and the gas tank mounting. The choke rod gets in my way of cranking the engine, my foot hits the choke rod and bends it. My scooter was restored by a gentleman  in Iowa, I can't remember his name, first name is Jim. It is supposed to be an original Clinton scooter. 

• 2 weeks later...

Email the new owner of Fox Grips, Mike, at foxgrips@yahoo.com 

He has posted his name and email publicly here, so I'm not sharing private contact information:

http://www.simplexservi-cycle.com/index.php?topic=1459.0 

He has the mold for the Doodle Bug grips you need and can make them in white, as per original. 

It does not seem that a website ever materialized. Most of the business seems to be running through eBay. 

Thanks for the tip, I have contacted Fox grip and waiting for a reply.  In the mean time I have painted my side panels and a friend has a striping tool he will let me borrow.  I will wait a while for the paint to cure and do some practice striping. I have also taken the handle bars and front tire assembly apart.  I have straightened the handle bars and tweaked the fender and are ready for paint.  Wheel bearings are new as is the felt. This has been a fun indoor project with our cold winter climate here in MN.IMG_1514.thumb.jpg.13e3917522589d97329394582e0c4b09.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

I purchased this scooter at an estate sale in Minnesota. A friend of mine was helping with the sale and knew I had a Doodle Bug as kid and asked if I might be interested. Guess what, I bought it. I paid a fair price not cheap and not crazy ether. It had the frame, wheels with bad tires, handle bars, both fenders and the original 710ALSB Clinton engine with kick start.  No controls, kick stand, jackshaft, gas tank or mountings. The frame had been badly black powder coated. Have since done every thing to get it into as close to original running condition as possible. According to Jim Juon , Vern ?, and Jim Kalua it is an original B model. It had the Hiawatha emblem but we could not fine the other badge with mdl info. This pic it the current status . 

IMG_1556.thumb.jpg.d0ff4980313909310a023d0c476de4b4.jpg

All done, well very close.  Just the fuel line, Hiawatha badge and a few other details. I hope to take it to Humboldt Iowa if the weather cooperates. It has a few details that are not correct like the top strip on the front fender. I have the strips pointing in the same direction, doesn't it look like it's going faster this way ? Ha

Jonnyd

IMG_1564.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Back from Humboldt Iowa swap meet, I had brought some things that were related to scooters and cars to sell or swap. I had my Doodle Bug along and put a price tag on it to see if there was any interest. Lots of lookers but no offers or great interest. I did sell or trade every thing else. Had a table next to another Doodle Buger and horse traded a few things with him, he makes and sells parts for our Bugs, very nice fellow. Looking forward to the fall Doodle Bug Reunion.

Jonny d

I have one, too, and I haven't had any interest at all. Everything I see online says it should be worth $3500-4000 but I've had zero interest in it. Mine is a Briggs engine rather than a Clinton, but it does have the accessory generator and electrical kit with headlight. What are these really worth?

Doodlebug2.thumb.jpg.d8889f1ff4a9aef7e6914371a46a766d.jpgDoodlebug6.thumb.jpg.cac21afbf851593f53b6db17ef43ebe1.jpg

Doodlebug1.thumb.jpg.1aa486f461075485de86575250e6c18a.jpg Doodlebug5.thumb.jpg.275a32ad38032d55c5f3405fbb87b3f4.jpg

Very nice scooter Matt,  It is probably a very small market and is a nostalgia trip for most. There are a few in museums that are well restored.

It maybe the peak has past on these little gems and we may have to lower are expectations. I may have to just ride mine and enjoy it. I have a line on another Bug in a friends rafters, its been there for a long time, but may have to rethink getting it.

Jonny d 

Any idea what model this is?  It was my Dad’s and he has passed away. We have had it for about 40 years. Starting to work on it. He removed all the decals and we haven’t found them yet.  I don’t remember it ever having fenders or any fairing.  Maybe a striped down model we have?  Thank you. Shelley

06881BF6-20BE-4D93-8431-08469A7DDF1C.jpeg

282FE520-C02D-49E0-9D8B-0315D70241EF.jpeg

Shelly,

Have you found any more parts for your Bug? It looks to have been striped down and made into a little hot rod. What is your plan, build a rider or restore it?

I restored mine and now I don't want to scratch it.  You do have some important parts, frame, wheels and jackshaft. Scooter Man may chim in and have some good info and questions for you.

Have

Jonny d

Hi Shelley,

That is, in fact, a Doodle Bug scooter but it has undergone many changes over the years with lots of bits and pieces being stripped or broken off. 

It is actually fairly common to see them in this kind of condition. The sheet metal pieces (front fender, rear fender, side panels) are almost always gone as are the original gas tank and mounting brackets. In addition, your particular scooter also has had the motor plate and the floor board modified and your engine was replaced with a much newer model. There are other non-original parts on this such as the grips, hand controls and tires - but again, that's quite common. 

Most of what you have is simply representative of how the scooters were modified over the years to keep them on the road long after the original components were worn out or broken. It can all be fixed.

One word of warning, however, before you go too deep into this. The front end of your scooter is probably bent. It does not appear that you would have adequate clearance between the front fender and the (missing) correct floor board if you were to restore this. This is a very common problem with these scooters as they were typically ridden by young people that crashed them, raced them, and generally just beat them up and literally "loved them to death." This, too, can be fixed, if you really want to take a deep dive into this. 

Please don't take this as a criticism of what you have. What you have on your hands is typical of a small 70+ year old scooter. It's cool that you've got it and are doing something with it!

Thank u Johnny and scooter guy.  Yes, I had a feeling that this scooter has been modified or such. It’s okay with me.   I just want to get it running again, even if not original etc.  I have been in contact with Don in Newberg Oregon regarding some parts.    Hoping he can help.  Do you have any other contacts for parts?   Especially tires.  The ones I found online are over $100 each!   

Right now she is completely dismantled and at the shop getting powder coated and painted.  Hope to start putting her back together very soon

any help is very much appreciated.  This will be in memory of my dad who just died in November.  

Thank you.   Shelley

My plan is just to ride it for fun on the property and take it camping.  It will fit perfectly in the garage of my motor home.  So, just for fun!   For other people to enjoy.  That’s all.  Not trying to spend a lot of money

Shelly

I meet a fellow at a scooter and motorcycle meet in Humboldt Iowa a few weeks ago that sells parts for and rebuilds Doodle Bugs.

He may have some new or used parts you may need or some good information to share. His name is Jim Juon cell #515-460-3854.

It looks like you are missing the kick stand that could be handy while parking and some controls for brakes and throttle.

Just a few basics and you could be up and hot rodding.

Jonnyd 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Doodle Buggers

Is anyone working on or restoring there little scooters ? I had finished mine in March, but the weather has been snowy and rainy so haven't had a ride yet. I haven't even put gas in it yet. Since March I have resumed work on my long time project, a 1956 Ford station wagon. It is about 2/3s done. I really need to put gas in the Bug and get it running, The engine is fresh and I have run it on the bench and runs good except it hesitates when given gas. The carb has been gone through completely and I have another original carb that I have tried with the same results. I have timed it with the head off and bringing the piston before top dead center, measuring to factory spec. I think is 1/4". If anyone has a thought I would be grateful.

thanks

Jonnyd

• 2 months later...
On 1/5/2019 at 11:36 PM, real61ss said:

M1189367804_20170819_140720.jpgdoodlebug.thumb.jpg.8b519b39735a56f01fa7a20ea3c16021.jpgMy 47 Doodlebug Clinton powered

The AACA has stopped recognizing the Doodlebug scooters but those that have shown previously are grandfathered.  My little scooter recieved its Jr. Award several years ago and has never been show again. There is  National AACA meet in late October in Mobile Al., I think I may enter the Doodlebug to get its Sr.

Tom,

The trip to the AACA meet sounds like a good plan to keep the Doddle Bug alive and well.  I fired my Bug up and went around the block, getting it ready for the meet in Webster, Iowa. Here is pic of my first Doodle Bug, I think 1955. It was in pieces when I bought it and I just hot rodded it.

fullsizeoutput_103.thumb.jpeg.7629ca6cb3366eed056e17fa78b64e10.jpeg

• 4 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 10 months later...

I've found a Hiawatha with the following info on the Badge

First Line:24-5501A

2nd: 10721

3rd: G1046A

It has a West Bend "Power Bee" "580" engine.

No side panels, Looks like a brake pedal in the middle of the floor.

Any suggestions?

That would have originally been a Model A, sold at Gambles as a “Hiawatha” scooter. 

The West Bend engine is not original or correct, but it is not uncommon to find Doodle Bugs with non-original engines. Original would have been a Briggs and Stratton NP with kick starter with the fluid drive clutch.

The brake pedal on the floor board is also not original. This was often done on Shriner scooters and on scooters that were modified over the years to keep them on the road when the originals wore out or broke. 

Post a photo of what you’ve got, if you can. I’d like to take a look.

• 4 weeks later...

Nice find, what are your plans for it? You may want to check out The Doodle Bug club of America, there is a lot of info. on the bug and where you may fine some parts. They have a reunion every year and will be held in Webster Iowa on Sept. 15-18 2021.

Jonnyd

• 7 months later...