1933 roadster

I have a 1933 roadster that I am bringing out on the road. I need a lot of stuff and help. This was my fathers baby for 30+ years. He drove it everywhere. In his last years he lost all the information and manuals.I would like to network with anyone who has or has knowledge of 1933s. It runs and drives well. The most immediate need is for a Trunnion Bearing(u-joint) and information on interchange differentials or gear sets. Remember reading about a "plains" ratio? The pontiac clubs don't seem to have an advisor for 1933. My poor mans Auburn. All help appreciated.

According to my parts book you should have "Mechanics" u-joints. They are virtually impossible to locate. I changed the yokes on my car so I can use standard Spicer u-joints.

Thank you for your response and sending the great picture. Yours is the first response I've received (ever!) as I'm new and not real good at computers. I may change complete differentials and probably will convert to Spicer type U-joints. I thought my 34 rear gears might be a higher speed but no luck. Thats again

I drive my car about a thousand miles a month, half in town and half on the highway. My engines runs at about 3200 revs at 55mph. I can drive like that all day with bursts up to 60 or even 65 mph. If you get to low a ratio you may need to downshift lots. By the way if you decide to change the differential for something else I would be interested you you original crown and pinion or the complete carrier.

My 33 eight can move from standing idle in top gear!! It has been know to snap axles because quick clutch and low torque.

I don't have a tach but 3200revs 500 over max torque. In town is ok but it is too much at 55-60.

If you hear of anyone with knowledge please give them my email. You will be the first if I change mine out. I know certain chev. pickups interchange.

My Pinion is stamped 467 9-40 2-33n?

Thank you.

Interestingly enough your ratio 40-9 4.44:1 is the only one used in 33. In 34 they changed to 41-9 4.55:1. In 35-36 the used 44-9 4.88:1 as a mountain ratio, 37-9 4.11:1 as plains ratio. In 37-38 they used 33-8 4.12:1 as a plains ratio, 35-8 4.37:1 as a standard ratio and 37-8 4.6:1 as a mountain ratio. The differences in the engines were 223.4 cu in fo 33-35, 232.3 cu in for 36 and 248,9 for 37-38.

There dosen't seem to be any rationall to the ratios unless they were just trying different ratios to obtain the speed and mileage that people wanted.

There was a 39-10 3.9:1 used on the six cylinder cars in 1939 as an economy ratio and also on both 6 and 8 cyl in 1940.

Thank You!! I was surprised to hear that there was only one ratio in 33. How long have you had your 30? The only time I've considered going out of stock is for the better ratio.I bet that 3.9:1 would be good(and good mileage). I wonder if it would be strong enough? We had a higher(not much) Chevy. six in it once. An old mechanic in town here welded one twice on one side when the other side snapped we went back to original. I believe it was older than 33. The mech. is long gone.

Thanks again! I'll start looking.

My grandfather bought my car new in 1930 and I learned to drive on it in 1959. In June it will have been my daily driver for 50 years. I have been in every state west of the Mississippi and every province and territory from Ontario west. I expect it will have 500,000 miles on it by fall.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Greg, I hope to swap my medium '36 rear end on my '36 cabriolet for a high end ratio before too long. You planning on bringing your car down to the Bonny Eagle show? I plan to have both my '36s there (coupe and cabrio). Love to see your car.