Headlights inop 1963 riv?

Guest lrg

Hello, 1963 Riviera. Headlights, parking lights inop. press high beam switch and high beams work. where should I start?

Any Thoughts? Thanks LRG

L????? (We're friendly and all on a first name basis.)

When you say the high beams work, do both the inboard lamps and the high beam filament in the outboard lamps work or just the inboard lamps? Have you removed the bulbs and checked the circuitry with a tester? What about the taillamps and turn signals?

Ed

just the inboard lamps come on. the tail lights work. not sure about the turn signals. bulbs are ok. still, Larry Robert Golic LRG

Larry,

You should have hign beams in the outboard lamps; on High, all four lamps should be lit.

It will take me a while to get at my Chassis manuals and check the wiring diagrams to see if the '63 is like the '64, which has a headlight relay on it. That allows the park lights to be on when the low beams are on but turns the park lights off when the high beams come on. I don't think the '63 is equipped this way, but I'm not sure; maybe someone else on the board has that stored in his gray matter.

Ed

The relay Ed mentions on the `64 model is a park light relay. Doesn`t have a primary function in terms of the headlights.

Sounds like you have a combination of problems. The headlight switch is OK because it is sending current to the dimmer switch to operate the high beams. A quick check with a test light to determine if the dimmer switch is completing the low beam circuit is in order. If OK I would check the headlight bulbs...sounds elementary but it is possible you have two bad bulbs or at least a poor connection at the back of the bulbs or perhaps a combination. Get the headlights operational first and then move on to the park lights. By the way, the system is designed so the park lights go off when the headlights are on. You should only have park lights when the headlight switch is pulled out to the first detent. Good Luck!!

Tom Mooney

I'll do those checks and get back tomorrow, I did not know the park lights go off when the headlights go on so now I'm not sure if the work or not. Thank you for your input so far. Larry. LRG

problem solved . bad connection at orange wire, engine compartment side of fire wall connector. Thanks to those that posted. larry lrg

Larry,

Thanks for the post stating that everything is working. So many times suggestions are posted but when/if a solution is found there's never any kind of acknowledgement that the problem was fixed. Then we're left wondering if the advice given was bad or was the solution.

Ed

I had a similar situation happen to me but I was out eating dinner one night and ended up having no headlights. So I get into the engine bay and start wiggling the headlight wiring until I made it to the firewall and they finally came on.

It's one of the quirks of owning an old car for sure.

• 9 years later...

Interesting problem, but at least it is resolved :)

I am working on a similar issue, but with the gizmo that auto-dims on top of the dashboard on my 64 Rivi.

I get all 4 lights come on, when I hit dimmer, just parking lights go on or off. No effect on headlamps.

Auto dim gizmo is supposed to detect lights and dim, but it doesn't do anything, not even in the override position.

So far, no joy...

I suspected the dimmer switch, but cannot find the one with the extra wire for auto-dimmer, only these ones at Rock Auto

https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/buick,1964,riviera,7.0l+425cid+v8,1319475,electrical-switch+&+relay,dimmer+switch,4340

Bought it last fall, did all suspension, engine work, axle, brakes, hoses & lines, converted to HEI, etc., over winter.

Getting ready for safety, need lights to do their thing :)

Video of my car when I first bought it. Needed some work.

IMG_8812.JPG

Edited by RivieraRon (see edit history)

The override position for the Guide-matic is a half way down depression.  You hold you foot in that position until you want the beams to return to high. then you release it..  You can manually shut the Guide-matic off by turning the knob on the back of the unit all the way counter-clockwise.

Yes, thanks.

Turning the knob all the way CCW doesn't change anything. Probably the duff dimmer?

The dimmer switch is broken, I just found one of these rare birds at Pacific Auto for $29.

Susp[ect it will do the trick. Everyone is out of this DS-73 switch\ it seems.

Thanks again, will advise results when I get the new switch in.

On 5/21/2018 at 7:20 PM, RivNut said:

The override position for the Guide-matic is a half way down depression.  You hold you foot in that position until you want the beams to return to high. then you release it..  You can manually shut the Guide-matic off by turning the knob on the back of the unit all the way counter-clockwise.

Thank you so much for posting this! I thought it was just my switch jamming or failing that was making it work differently when I press lightly vs a full press. ??

My guidematic works great! 

• Thanks 1