Touring Sonora, California-Western Tour!

The weather's been great so far, since it's unperdictable in this part of California this time of year. This will be our first day of touring. Dave Kontor from Latrobe, PA will be hitching rides with different folks during the week.

We were walking around town yesterday when we noticed a lot of unusually dressed people walking through town. We followed along behind, entered the town's fairgrounds, when we noticed something BIG with wheels????? Bristal?????

Brit_Bus.jpg

Check it out!

Wayne

We had our opening banquet last night. Frank Kilpatrick, Tour Chairman, is conferring with Board Member, Hulon McCraw at the banquet. You'll notice former Board Member Dave Chiotti to the right. Dave and Marilyn will be driving their Model A Ford, a car that Dave has owned since childhood.

Frank_Hulon_Dave.jpg

Well, it's time for Dave Kontor and me to find a ride for our touring today.

Later guys,

Wayne

Guest Dean_H.

Wayne, you're pretty close to my neck of the woods. I feel right at home with your first pictures, average CA folks. That last pic though... must be foreigners. Have fun out there. smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: R W Burgess</div><div class="ubbcode-body">A Chrysler Airflow, pictures later... smile.gif</div></div>

I was talking about the DeSoto in front of the Airflow on my second comment.

willow.jpg

We ate dinner last night in Jamestown, CA. The bar you're looking at? That's real brass on the rail, plus the foot rail was solid brass tubing also.

Willows_Jamestown.jpg

This restaurant/bar/hotel was reported to be haunted???? Didn't see a ghost, although with Dave, Joanna Cooper and myself inside, the statement above is questionable. wink.gif

Wayne

Hey Wayne, sure wish I was there! Sunshine, old cars, and lots of fun!!! For a while there I thought you'd landed in the wrong country - double decker bus, kilts, etc. Happy St.Patrick's Day to everyone and safe travels!

Terry

Thanks Terry,

We're working on getting another tour out here for the future, so you'll have the opportunity to see this country. wink.gif

We left out the hotel Tuesday headed for the high country. Following this early Buick (Names Later), we observed the water transmission lines coming down the mountain. These lines carried water from the highlands to the cities in the valley's below.

tues_mountains.jpg

At the top of the mountain, we came upon a gated community airport with many large homes with attached plane hangars. We had to be sure to park our cars behind a line off the runway, as planes landed all morning while we waited for lunch. The picture below is of one of two hangers that our host owned. He must have had at least 5-6 restored working vintage airplanes. I saw the 2 engine job and immediately thought of Sky King, the early 50's TV show.

Airplane.jpg

Our trip back down the mountain had us stopping at this little town from the past. As you can tell from this building, they don't see a lot of tourists, although the Hotel Jeffery is open for business. We found an old ice cream shop and most of us pestered the owner while he dipped out ice cream, or made a milk shake, in my case. The old walls of the shop had all kinds of hand written statements on the walls, similar to a truck stop rest room. eek.gif Don't ask how I know! crazy.gif

Of course these little hand written jokes and statements were not of the blue variety. Just because it was St. Patrick's day, some of our local hosts broke out into jokes of hilarity. Some of those, of course, were a little bit on the "blue" side. wink.gif

Hotel_Jeffery.jpg

Meanwhile, back in the state.......of Virginia that is!

Last time here, I mentioned the dash of that beautiful Air Flow,. seen below. This car is owned by Bill and Greta Rothenbuhler (say that 3 times real fast! smile.gif ) from Banning, CA. You can see the '25 Buick through the windshield.

Don't concern yourself with the discharging ammeter. It was wired backwards by mistake, which will be corrected shortly.

DSC05541.jpg

Wayne

Interior-back of Peerless. Looks better than any furniture upholstery in my house. The elaborate pulls pictured are used to raise the windows back up after lowering them. I think the pattern confused my camera, as the picture seems to have lost it's proportions.

DSC05603.jpg

Here's the "sofa"!! grin.gif

DSC05604.jpg