26-27 Roadster top supports- reproduction

Guest dbnz

I am about to get some original top support brackets ( for holding the top when down) cast for my 27 roadster, is anyone else interested in a pair?

Hi dbnz- I've got a few too many questions for you...Who is casting them for you, from what material are they casting them, how much $$, what kind of time frame to cast, and finally, who gets to do the final cleanup (e.g., polishing,tapping holes)? In my experience, the final cleanup can be a little or a BIG deal depending on the quality of the casting and material used). Sorry about the interrogation! Thanks, Joe

Hi Idrjoe, I am having it cast by Giltec in Dunedin where I live. I have been quoted NZ $56.25 which equates to about US$30 per pair. I will be done in about a week and a half, but I am coming to the States in May so could bring and post from there to save postage. The cost is to cast in Bronze and the buyer will need to do the cleanup, cut the back portion, bore hole and thread.

I do not expect the clean up and boring etc to be too difficult.

Regards Philip

Phillip- That is an excellent deal especially for us in the states, given the current exchange rate. I agree, in bronze this would be an easy cleanup. Any chance you could post a few pics with some dimensions-- I would like to try to see if these would work for my 1929 DA Phaeton. I had some made in polished SS, but they were duplicated from a 1929 Chrysler Phaeton. My plater lost my original sockets and the Chrysler was as close a match as I could get. Problem is that the radius of the socket and the radius of my new top bows are just a bit off. They'll work, but it would be ok with me if they were a closer match. Thanks, Joe

I Think that they would be more suited to the old DB body style 26 or 27.

I will leave the offer open until Monday 23rd March.

Attached are pictures the two piece sliding portion will be cast in one piece and will need cut off, a hole will need drilled through and thread will need to be tapped into the end (which is not shown in the picture).

post-44765-143138052859_thumb.jpg

post-44765-143138052862_thumb.jpg

Hi Phillip- I almost forgot that your Mon Mar 23 is our Sunday Mar 22! I have attached a pic of what the 29 DA top rests look like, but in the absence of access to an original pair, I think your repros could be made to work. So thanks, count me in for a pair as well. And it was good that you posted pictures, because I misread your first post and thought you were talking about the top bow sockets (second picture). So how do I pay you? Paypal or? Thx, Joe

post-54582-143138055188_thumb.jpg

post-54582-143138055192_thumb.jpg

Hi idrjoe,I think the angle will be completely wrong. I will get them cast and see what the shipping cost will be like, but am coming to US in May so could post form their if too expensive.

Philip, you may be right about the angle involved, but after playing around with your images, i.e., photoshop flipping, rotating, etc.,it seems that the main difference is the "stalk" that extends the saddle from the compression wedge fitting. Apparently, the earlier DB top bows fold down tighter to the the body than the 29, negating the need for the extended stalk. I'm going to lower the bows on the car and see how far they actually stick out from the body when down. If they stick out a ways, it's likely that I would be making some major mods to get them to work. If you would indulge me for another day, I'll give you the final answer. If not, I understand. Also, the last time I purchased from down-under I got hit with a big bill ($75US) from the bank for the money exchange- what's the deal with that? Any idea what PayPal charges? May would be ok to post when you come here-any chance you'll visit San Diego? Love to meet fellow DB'ers! Joe

Love to meet fellow DB'ers, too, Joe. I guess I should have looked you up while I was down there a couple of weeks ago.....darn! I was staying around North Park/Adams Ave. area.

Hi Idrjoe, Another day is fine. There is a fair chance I may come to San Diego, let me know as soon as you can if you want it. More pictures are attached.

post-44765-143138055558_thumb.jpg

post-44765-143138055561_thumb.jpg