GIRLS ON BUICKS

Guest imported_MrEarl

• 2 weeks later...
6 hours ago, MrEarl said:

Looks like they left the trunk lid cracked a bit so the old man wouldn't smother.

Like every picture of every vacation I took with my family.  The guy with the camera is never in the picture. I have no history of how well (or poorly) I've aged. The mirror is a big liar, in its eye, I'm still 25.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

• 3 weeks later...
On 2018-03-20 at 10:13 PM, 50jetback said:

That HAS to be uncomfortable!

Is there more of the photo?

Looks like it's period and I suggest the car is a 1927 Master Six Convertible Coupe model 27 - 54CC

Depends how cute she is....

• Haha 2

7 hours ago, Ben Bruce aka First Born said:

Beautiful  1920s girls! 

Oh, you were asking about the car?   1940 Roadmaster, I believe.

Ben

That's a Special, see the presence of cowl section between the front door and fender?  That means it is the A platform    The Super and Roadmaster had the C platform which did not have any cowl section showing between the front doors and fender.   Note the four sections of vents on the fender just below the hood?  That is Special which had four vent sections.  The Super had only three vent sections. The Roadmaster had four sections of vents on the fender, but like the Super was the C platform and had no visible cowl section between the front doors and the fender.

What a great picture!

Edited by kgreen (see edit history)
  • Like 2

Boy, Ken , you gave me something to research.  I may still be correct. I have searched online and in Seventy Years of Buick as well as The Buick a Complete History. It looks to me as if all the convertables, all series, still had the cowl between hood/fender and door.  When I magnify the picture in question, looks to read ROADMASTER on the hood latch handle. That is what I based my snap decision on.    I knew the Super and Roadmaster sedan and coupes looked different, but had not "figured out" what it was. Now I know!

Thanks

Ben 

• Like 2

15 hours ago, kgreen said:

.....What a great picture!

Agreed! There wasn't much to go on from where I found the picture, just something vague like Girls in Convertible or something, on the greatest time-waste website that I've been visiting for many years, Shorpy, High Definition vintage photo archive  http://www.shorpy.com/

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Ben Bruce aka First Born said:

.  When I magnify the picture in question, looks to read ROADMASTER on the hood latch handle. That is what I based my snap decision on.   

Very interesting points regarding the 40. A close look at the latch in the picture shows the model name blurred, but 3 letters short of Roadmaster. But will be on the lookout to see about this feature at the National. 

It is good to doubt anything presented on the internet.

The other real clincher is the presence of running boards; they were not used on the C platform (Super or Roadmaster).  The door handle on the Super/Roadmaster is within the belt line trim.  The door handle on a Special and Century is below the belt line trim.  

I still think it is a great picture, it now graces my computer as the screen saver.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, kgreen said:

It is good to doubt anything presented on the internet.

The other real clincher is the presence of running boards; they were not used on the C platform (Super or Roadmaster).  The door handle on the Super/Roadmaster is within the belt line trim.  The door handle on a Special and Century is below the belt line trim.  

I still think it is a great picture, it now graces my computer as the screen saver.

I concede!  :D

Ben

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, 50jetback said:

Try this one Ben - Model and year, and the name of the two girls in the rumble seat.

c5086.jpg

c5087.jpg

LOL... I'll take a shot!

1936 Century, in yellow with tan interior and with a radio and heater delete package.  The girls are Mrs. Victoria Smith and her precocious daughter Eleanor!    How'd I  do? B)

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, JohnD1956 said:

LOL... I'll take a shot!

1936 Century, in yellow with tan interior and with a radio and heater delete package.  The girls are Mrs. Victoria Smith and her precocious daughter Eleanor!    How'd I  do? B)

1936 Special Convertible Coupe ( Century has stainless trim on top of headlights while the Special doesn't )

Probably Francis Cream with tan interior.

I'll pay the Smiths but aren't they sisters and not mother and daughter?

And what is different about the Smith girls in the Rumble seat between the 2 different angle photos?  

Edited by 50jetback (see edit history)

It appears the ladies in the rumble seat exchanged positions.  I just think the one lass looks a lot younger than the other,  and presume that is Mr. Smith and their other two daughters, Constance and Margaret,  in the front seat.  :unsure:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, kgreen said:

Four digit license plate??  

Looks like I read “Vermont” on the plate but not sure, too blurry. This is what I found on the state plates history:

In 1949, the size of plates was changed to two standard sizes. Plates with four numbers or less were 6" x 10" and those with five numbers were 6" x 11". The next year saw over 100,000 cars registered in Vermont. It is unknown how the numbering of the plates was arranged. It is likely that after 99,999, there was a combination of one letter and four numbers, but that is not certain. It is interesting to note that on the four digit plates in 1950, there was no painted border, while on the five digits plates, there was.

2 hours ago, Elpad said:

Looks like I read “Vermont” on the plate but not sure, too blurry. This is what I found on the state plates history:

In 1949, the size of plates was changed to two standard sizes. Plates with four numbers or less were 6" x 10" and those with five numbers were 6" x 11". The next year saw over 100,000 cars registered in Vermont. It is unknown how the numbering of the plates was arranged. It is likely that after 99,999, there was a combination of one letter and four numbers, but that is not certain. It is interesting to note that on the four digit plates in 1950, there was no painted border, while on the five digits plates, there was.

Low population state:

1950 vt plate 1.jpg

1950 vt plate.jpg

• Like 2

Yep, that's right, it belongs here. The picture came over when I made a Google search of Peggy Sue, a name that was mentioned on the other thread. I believe this was a car show parade honoring the country singer. Just can't make the model of the Buick if indeed is a Buick?