GIRLS ON BUICKS

Guest imported_MrEarl

12 hours ago, JZRIV said:

Did girls have tattoos in the 50s?

I worked in a county hospital and home from 1974 to 1979. The answer is yes. The nurses were really surprised to find out the old woman they thought was a Yale graduate actually came from Texas.

ummmmm

5b94c705330c38b2449a381645571967.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, JZRIV said:

Any idea when the pic was taken Paul? I have a guess. Color combo and headrests make it uncommon. Location appears to be a higher end show. Maybe a Concours D'elegance type event

Red and gold -- my two favorite colors!  ;)

6 hours ago, Pilgrim65 said:

Thanks Elpad, That Mr Earl was some awesome designer, pure fantasy , love it!

Well thank you Pilgrim, thank you very much. :lol: 

Seriously though, let's not forget, Mr Earl didn't do it alone, if it wasn't for Ned Nickles, would we even have the portholes or sweepspears or the 63 Riviera for that matter? I think not. Not to take anything away from my namesake, but Harley's entire design and engineering team back in the late forties  thru the very early sixties i.e. Ned Nickles, Bill Mitchell, Charlie Chayne, Harlow Curtice and others deserve a lot of credit for making  Buick's styling what it was and still is today! 

Just sayin:) 

• Like 6

Harley Earl's influence at GM came at a time when Alfred P. Sloan was bringing support to the dealer networks that had focused only on new car sales. Used cars were viewed, corporately, as competition. In many instances they were destroyed. Increasing the value of a used GM car meant helping the blacksmith body shops make attractive repairs. Mr. Earl put those big chunks of die cast on the cars to take the eye away from the lumpy fender beating. And in an accident the diecast broke so a shiny new straight one had to be purchased. Repairs looked better, used car values went up, and dealers made a few bucks with corporate vision.

My Uncle ran a body shop that he started shortly after WWII. My Dad told me Uncle Frank used to lead and weld and work really hard, like a blacksmith. Then, in the late 1950's, fiberglass repair putty came out. Dad said "Your Uncle Frank has had the great big smile ever since." The improved body shop techniques had a lot to do with the transition from Earl's style to Mitchel's smooth sculptures.

The Riviera didn't get potholes and glitz because it was a move to copy British sculpture and long term ownership. Six years or so later GM pushed out the 1970 Camaro, a design that remained until 1981. Look at the precedent that set.

Oh, reversing the Corvette Sting Ray hood and using Sting Ray front fender tops didn't hurt the Riviera appearance either, another Mitchel car.

020.thumb.jpg.4377d4411d206a1a7cd5170ca73c9eb4.jpg

Bernie

Edited by 60FlatTop (see edit history)
  • Like 3

11 hours ago, MrEarl said:

Well thank you Pilgrim, thank you very much. :lol: 

Seriously though, let's not forget, Mr Earl didn't do it alone, if it wasn't for Ned Nickles, would we even have the portholes or sweepspears or the 63 Riviera for that matter? I think not. Not to take anything away from my namesake, but Harley's entire design and engineering team back in the late forties  thru the very early sixties i.e. Ned Nickles, Bill Mitchell, Charlie Chayne, Harlow Curtice and others deserve a lot of credit for making  Buick's styling what it was and still is today! 

Just sayin:) 

I thought Mr. EmTee was the Buickpedia here. Mr. Earl you don't count.. you are an administrator. You must be old and know too much. Oh boy, there is a ton of knowledge on this forum. Hats off to you gentlemen!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Schmiddy said:

Word up! Best Buick forum with the best knowledge carriers - thank you so much you guys out there! :)

And here is a Buick girl more... ;) (don't know if she was posted already?)

roadmaster.jpg

Hey, lady, get your shoe off my bumper!

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, JohnD1956 said:

Well, more than likely, that's the last thing that guy would be thinking!

22 minutes ago, JohnD1956 said:

Well, more than likely, that's the last thing that guy would be thinking!

3 hours ago, Fr. Buick said:

Hey, lady, get your shoe off my bumper!

I was going to tell her the same thing but what the heck.... we are going to die and that freaking massive 54 Buick bumper will remain the same

IMG_1425.JPG

• Like 4

On 4/8/2017 at 8:08 AM, Schmiddy said:

Word up! Best Buick forum with the best knowledge carriers - thank you so much you guys out there! :)

And here is a Buick girl more... ;) (don't know if she was posted already?)

roadmaster.jpg

Photo shoots can be hard, Sometimes you just have to keep a stiff upper lip and bear it.

Bernie