What car brought you home from the hospital when you were born?

OldsDoug

Guest mercman86

Heres what brought me home, my folks 1985 Chevrolet Astro, the first year they came out. Here it is parked in front of our apartment on Parkside Drive on the northwest side of Chicago. On the other side of the trees was the Kennedy Expressway. They bought it brand new, it was a completly stripped down model. I think the only options it had on it was AC and an FM radio. Im probably one of the younger members, I was born Feb 14, 1986. They drove that van untill the wheels fell off, I remember when my Dad sold it in about 1996 with well over 200K on the clock. I know its nothing special and probably will never be a collectors item, but I have lots of fond memories riding around in that thing!

post-60198-143138317787_thumb.jpg

Edited by mercman86 (see edit history)

Guest Vetteman61

I was rushed to the hospital in my sister's 1978 Camaro Z28.

My mom said dad hit the rail road tracks in town around 80 and she thought I was going to be born in the car.

sc0008d5e6.jpg

• 5 months later...
Guest 59 Blue Bomber

A 1966 Ford Galaxie, White 4 door Sedan. Wouldn't have been my first choice, but nobody asked me! My Brother on the other hand, well.....HE was delivered by the Dork!

March 21, 1950 - 1947 Ford Super Deluxe 2 door fastback. I remember riding in it when I was little. My folks traded it for a 1951 Ford Crestine Victoria in 1953 or 1954. I remember when they did that as well. I remember standing on our front lawn looking at both cars in the driveway while my parents talked with the salesman. The '51 proved to be troublesome and was traded for a 1954Crestline Victoria with automatic and power steering in 1955.

!948 Hudson Commodore, Physicans Hospital, Jackson Heights NY. HEY, jrope was St Vincents in Greenwich Village?

I was talking about the St. Vincent hospital in Erie Pa. I understand that Saint Vincent was the patron saint of physicians or healers, so there were a lot of Catholic hospitals in a lot of different cities that were named in honor of him.

Either a '54 or '55 Chrysler convertible. Dark gray with a red interior. Beautiful car, but apparently it was 'always in the shop'. (And interestingly, to this day, I am always attracted to that color scheme.)

Fun thread. Mom and I had a good time reminiscing about it.

UPDATE: It was a '55.

Edited by wws944 (see edit history)

Guest WEB 38

I Dont seem to be able to remember, must be old age, I do remember what I Brought my daughter home in. A 1960 chevy impala convert with a 348 ci 335 hp. 4-speed 3x2 factory set up,with a 411 posi. Wish I still had that beast. Bill WEB 38

Guest prs519

I am thinking they said Kaiser for me, but my little sister Robin was nearly born IN the car, a 1954 Chrysler New Yorker. My late father was disposed to go from snowbound country to more snowbound country (near the Grand Tetons) This was back when they generally got so much snow that rotary plows had to almost tunnel thru, making a slot in the snow you could not begin to see over. Well, half way to the hopital he came around a turn and there was an enormous bull elk, with a horn span approaching the total distance across the channel! He said he would gun the car first to one side, then the other, until finally he got the elk turned enough to gun it on thru! I still think they should have name Robin Elke.

It was a 1939 Chrysler with the rear floor rusted out. That was 1952, and it lasted until 1956 when the engine blew and my folks bought a new Plymouth. The Chrysler was towed to a field where an advertising sign was attached to it. I think it sat in the field for another 10 years before it disappeared.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest danceswithpumps

Mom and I were ready to go home from the hospital but it was about 30 below zero on that very cold March day. She convinced the doctor that we would be going home (30 miles away) in my Grandpa's brand new 1948 Oldsmobile. He finally said that it would be ok. Much better ride than Dad's 1937 Terraplane. I'd give quite bit to have either one of those 2 cars now.

Don't forget Mom on her day this Sunday, "Mothers' Day".

Rod

Guest Ray RI

When my folks found out they were expecting my brother, dad traded in his 1967 Fairlane 500 convert for a new green 1971 Mercury Montego MX wagon. That car brought both my brother and I home and served us well until 1976 when it was traded in for a new all black Mercury Monarch 2 door which we ran for 12 years and then had parked in the garage untouched for 13 more years.

I came home in a 1952 Cadillac Limousine. My brother and sister in a 1949 Cadillac Limousine.

My oldest daughter came home in Mom/Dad-in-law's 1981 Oldsmobile; and my younget daughter in our 1983 AMC Concord DL Station Wagon.

• 2 months later...