What car brought you home from the hospital when you were born?

OldsDoug

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Barry Wolk</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I hope no one minds but this is such a great thread that I've posted it elsewhere. </div></div>

(Taking a bow) I'm getting a real kick out of it too... wow, some of you guys in limousines and Cadillacs and stuff...

By the way, I didn't think of it when I started the thread, but my cousins bought the Firenza (or "Fluenza" as my buddy calls it) in my avatar/signature new in 1988 to haul their kid home from the hospital... I've offered several times to let him drive it but he's not interested in it/cars (drives a Saturn). Which reminds me, the significant other's brother worked for many years for a local Buick dealer. His daughter came home in an '80s Skylark that was his demonstrator at the time. It was sold to the neighbor across the street who kept it for years... when the daughter came of driving age, Terry bought the car from the owner and Holly used it for a couple of years. It was yellow with a white top and saddle interior and had some optional wheels on it... I think it was an '86, maybe an '85... I didn't think it was a bad-looking car, but the poor kid got an "award" when she was a senior in high school for the ugliest car. Which reminds me, I had to have my dad drive me on my first date, to a homecoming dance, in a white '60 Plymouth, in 1965... which gives us grist for another thread!

I rolled in from the hospital in a 1949 Buick Roadmaster.. one of many cars I wish I had. That was in January of 1950. There are pictures of my mother holding me...regretably in black and white. She always described the car as a 'beautiful blue,' but no idea what shade of blue it was....B

Guest 1928Packard526

I just might take the old pharts award on this theme. I came home in a '28 Essex sedan. It was also the first car I worked on according to my parents. As not much more than a toddler I climbed up onto its roof and used a stone to poke a hole in the cloth top area. The folks caught me at the project. I was less than a favorite offspring for some time.

Pete P.

I came home from the hospital in 1964 using this as did my two brothers (I'm on the right, circa 1968) Used it for my Junior Prom and my wedding as well as my brother's wedding. My parents were not wealthy, but my dad was/is about as much of a car nut as you would ever find.

post-31305-143138043483_thumb.jpg

I was brought home from the hospital (December 15, 1942 after being born three month premature, weighing 2lbs 4 oz and spending three months in an incubator) in a 1930 Pontiac Custom Sedan owned by my Grandfather. Up at the top under Photo Gallery you can see a picture of the car in 1947 with me on the running board. It has been my daily driver since June 1959.

Guest Gary Hearn

For me it was a 1954 Ford 2 door Ranch Wagon, the first new car my father ever owned. It was green in color and my mother just had it hauled away this past year. Wish I had known it was going, I would have stripped a few parts off it.

What a great thread to show that this hobby really has recruited younger members. More than 90% of the replys are from baby boomers, That's a younger group!

I joined the local club at age 28 (in 1974) and was the youngest member then and I think I still am! (at age 63)

Next time somebody asks how to recruit us, speak up and tell them we are the young guys.

I came home in a 1937 Oldsmobile which was a WWII survivor

that lasted my family through the war until I arrived and required a flashy'er car.

Dad brought me home from the hospital in 1950 with his first new car, a blue '50 Buick Sedanette (2 door "fastback"). He kept it until 1960 and only traded it because he was afraid he'd loose mom . . . the floor boards were rusted out. They'd get their feet wet when driving in rain. Even so, I wish I still had that car! I remember riding in the "pie shelf" on long trips.

I came home from the hospital in June 1957, Columbus, Ohio in a 1954 Ford Crestline Skyliner Hardtop (the one with the plastic roof section over the driver’s seat area). It was the first new car my parents owned and after three summers of heat and humidity while driving around in a greenhouse they traded it off for a new 1957 Pontiac Safari wagon. The earliest car my parents owned that I remember is the 1962 Oldsmobile Starfire Hardtop that they bought new when we moved to California and which they kept for 10 years. Every summer my father would drive the Olds nonstop from California to Ohio for our families two week vacation. Dad did not believe in wasting time and money with motels. By the way, dad liked to drive fast, and cars with lots of horse power.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Paul Dobbin</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What a great thread to show that this hobby really has recruited younger members. More than 90% of the replys are from baby boomers, That's a younger group!

I joined the local club at age 28 (in 1974) and was the youngest member then and I think I still am! (at age 63)

Next time somebody asks how to recruit us, speak up and tell them we are the young guys.

I came home in a 1937 Oldsmobile which was a WWII survivor

that lasted my family through the war until I arrived and required a flashy'er car. </div></div>

Baby boomers a younger group? I like your perspective, Paul!

Doug, facing 59 one week from today. frown.gif

Guest Sheldon Rody

My dad always mentoned when showing the slides, the pic of the 52 Ford Victoria was the car I rode home in.

It was Black with a white top.

My wife came home in a 58 Impalla sport coupe that was black.

My daughter had her first ride in a new 78 Dodge Coronet custom 4 dr, yellow with gold vinyl roof and gold interior.

Guest 70 Electra

Thank God I didn't remember it (or I'd have been scarred for life), but it was a 1958 Borgward Isabella TS coupe.

Not what you expected to hear, is it? grin.gif (I was a military brat, born in Germany, while my folks were stationed there.) Actually, the TS coupe was the performance model, and Dad tells me it was a very respectable car at that time, and in that place--probably the sportiest 4-passenger car he could afford on an Air Force Lieutenant's salary.

Later, my sister had the privilege of riding home from the hospital in Dad's white 1960 Buick LeSabre coupe. It was about 2yrs old at the time.

Guest 55olds98holiday

I rode home in 1966 in a red and white VW Microbus which I think was a 64. I don't remember it though. The first car I was old enough to remember was our yellow 1968 Plymouth Fury wagon. Man that thing was big.Gotta love the old wagons.

Guest Plymouthy

had a better chance of being conceived in the back of a Plymouth as I was a home deliverly by my paternal grandmother who was a licensed midwife.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest wk's_olds

For me it must have been a 1932 Chevrolet. It was in March probably the 16th or 17th since I was born on the 14th in 1936.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I was born Mother's Day 1949 and my brother on Mother's Day 1950 (1yr-6days apart). My father owned a 1948 Dodge Club Coupe` at the time.

Guest Dave Wyatt

Most likely it was a green 51 Chevy 4 door. My oldest son came home in a almost new 81 Gran Prix. He likes Pontiacs and luxury. Son number two came home in my 70 4-4-2. He likes Oldsmobiles, and speed.

Picture it -- late 1942; Dad was working at the Todd Shipyards in Bayonne/Jersey City, NJ -- on military contracts -- he and Mom were living in Linden NJ - 18 miles south along US-1. Dad found a 2-1/2 Ton stake body Reo truck for Uncle Benny's tire moulding/recapping business, and in return was given Benny's 1931 Pierce-Arrow 4-door sedan (probably a Model 43). I probably came home from Elizabeth Gen. Hosp. to Linden in the Pierce, but Mom didn't drive yet, and 3 months later Dad was in the first wave of Seabees, training at Dam Neck/Oceana/Norfolk, and shipped out of San Diego with the 6th Special Battalion to Vella Lavella, Figi, Bougainville, and a host of other South Pacific atolls which were still Japanese-held while CB's were constructing Port and Landing Strip Facilities. The pierce was cut down to be used as a truck for Uncle Benny's tire business during war-time.

In '47, little brother Jerry came home to Linden in a 1936 Packard, and in 1954, baby sister Beth-ann came home in the 1942 Chevrolet Special-Deluxe with a 1951-era short block from Sears-Roebuck and 19 coats of hand-rubbed black laquer which Dad and I applied after taking the Powder-Puff paint job down to bare metal.

In 1971, Dale and I brought our son Evan Home to Ft. Wayne Indiana in our 1967 Citroen DS-21 Pallas sedan.

Late in '74, Charla, our daughter came home to western Henrico County outside of Richmond, Virginia in a 1971 Citroen DS-21 Safari/Break (Station Wagon).

I was on my way to Hershey Fall Meet in 1996 when grandson Nathan came home. I thought they would use the Suburban, but Charla wants me to believe that Dale drove them home in the 1934 Buick Sidemounted Sedan. Gotta' believe the grandson has 10w-30 in his veins.

I was born at the stroke of midnight on New Year's 1968, making me the first baby of New York City for that year. My father was at a New Year's Eve party at his cousin's house, not believing that my mom was really going to give birth that night, as I was due on January 10. Apparently, I had other plans.

When he heard that he was a dad, he made the drive over in the snow in his 1965 Starfire coupe, equipped with a four-speed manual. It was this same car, finished in Mojave Mist, that brought me home a few days later.

The car was stolen one night on the streets of Brooklyn in 1970, and my dad found it several hours later, up on blocks and completely stripped. They even cut open the hump in the floor to remove the transmission from above! We've never seen another 65 Starfire with a four-speed since. Apparently there were just over 100 or so equipped cars.

He now owns a 65 Starfire ragtop.

Well, I really wasn't sure, but I think it was a 1940 Ford Fordor that brought me home from Henrotin Hospital in Chicago. The next one I am certain about was a 1951 Chevrolet 2-door sedan with automatic transmission - in black, of course. It had stickers in the glovebox saying it was made with war rationed materials. Mom learned how to drive on the Chevy and drove the family to Florida where I grew up.

Guest Bob Kerr

57 Chevy Belair 2dr HT with 2 4bbls. Dad bought it new when he worked at Hare Chevrolet in Nobelsville IN. He traded it in, back in 1963 on a 1962 Impala 2 dr HT with 327 300hp 4 speed which he still has. He does wish he had the 57 back though!

I was born Fabruary 5th, 1959, I came home from Detroit's Holy Cross Hospital in my father's 1958 Ford Fairlane, the worst POS car anyone in my family has ever owned. The engine locked up weeks after the warranty expired, and even my uncle, a Lincoln-Mercury zone rep could not get us any help. All of the lighting went dead in the middle of nowhere in northern Michigan, a very dark place back then.

the big think that happened was in 1962, We had gone to a store to buy my older sister a birthday gift, something that came in a large cardboard carton that wouldn't fit in the trunk with the lid closed. My father tied the trunk lid down with rope. On the way home the old man made a right-hand turn and the front passenger's side door opened, and I fell out, hitting my head on the curb and going into a two-day coma. I survived fine (the accident explains a lot, though!) and the following spring the folks bought the best car they owned for a long time, a 1963 Chevrolet Bel Air station wagon. About as perfect a car as could be made then.

Guest pontiac6

I'm believe it was my dad's worn out 1928 Star. The year was 1933. Does anyone have a picture of this car? The next car dad owned was a totally worn out 1934 Dodge Brothers. I learned to drive with this car. My first vehicle was a 1950 Studebaker half ton. Today my daily driver is a 1980 Plymouth Volare with just over 100,000 km (60,000 miles) original on it. I bought this car when it had about 40,000 km on it. It had always been stored under cover, and the back seat had never been sat on. It looks and runs like new, and best of all I can look under the hood and recognize everything. Thus I can still fix it, if need be. The only modification I have made is to convert it to propane. This is my 4th propane powered vehicle. My first propane powered car was a 1972 Buick Skylark, which I used to pull my holiday trailer across Canada with in 1988. I have never had any desire to own a new car and likely never will. Today's cars are mostly look-alike rolling blobs with no style, and are impossible to work on in many cases. I look under the hood and say; "that's nice. What is it?" This ends my history of the road lesson! Bye for now.

• 6 months later...