What car brought you home from the hospital when you were born?

OldsDoug

My "delivery livery" was this '56 Mercury Custom, Labor Day weekend, 1957...

56_Merc_Custom.jpg

My cousin David is standing by it at top in the California sunshine. One of these days (when my ship comes in), I'm gonna have one, hopefully in Heath Green/Classic White as this one was. It was my folks' first new car and every time I see one, I need a dribble bib!

TG

Have no idea what I was brought home in but our older son (who'll be 29 in May) came home in the very same 1942 Packard 180 that ferried West home.

The younger son (who turned 25 a few weeks back) would probably have come home in the same car except he decided to be born at home! (I don't recommend this course, unless one is planning for it, as it is a very messy process...)

I tell folks I've done a couple of things most men never do: sign my son's birth certificate as "Attending Physician" (and I don't even have a HS diploma) and give my mother's hand away in marriage (because when she remarried, her father was the minister!). LOL!!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TG57Roadmaster</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My "delivery livery" was this '56 Mercury Custom, Labor Day weekend, 1957.

One of these days (when my ship comes in), I'm gonna have one, hopefully in Heath Green/Classic White as this one was. It was my folks' first new car and every time I see one, I need a dribble bib!

TG </div></div>

smile.gif

Get the bib.

post-33613-143138042798_thumb.jpg

I was brought home in a Roman Red '61 Impala Super Sport convertible. 348, 3-speed. My dad had to sell that car (for $200!) because they had to get down to one car, and my mother couldn't drive the 3-speed. I've still got a set of keys for it somewhere.

Paul

Guest Skyking

Brought home in a 1938 Buick Special Slantback w/ duel sidemounts.

TG, I love that Merc! It was probably named Custom because it sure looked custom right out of the showroom back then.

Seems to me (because I don't remember it) my dad said that he had a 1950 "humpback" (his words) Chevrolet when I was born in 1952 in Detroit. I guess it was a two door sedan because I vaguely remember seeing a photo of it years ago. I think it was a mint green color. Where I live now there is a beautifully restored one running around town. Here's a photo of the car my dad owned directly after the Chevy. That's me and my sisters in the windows and my brother Charlie (11 month's my senior) standing outside.

post-37352-143138042801_thumb.jpg

1951 Dodge. It wasy my dad's first new car, and I still remember the smell.

I lied. It was a $25 junker, a price no car of his exceeded until I was about 4 years old, when a 6 or 7 year old pink/white 1956 Plymouth became the oldest car I can remember. There were probably 4 or 5 cars in between.

He still thinks I'm nuts to be interested in old cars.

Guest AntarcticDave

My dad was in the army and overseas at the time, but I am sure his 49 Mercury coupe was in the garage at the time. I'll have to ask my aunt if she remembers how I got home, no one else left to ask.

Dave

West, You came home from the hospital in a very classy car, the 1942 Packard 180 Limo. I think your brother Winston came home in the most classy of all, the 1934 Bugatti Type 57. I had to settle for my Dads 1940 Buick Super coupe. I have very happy memories of that car which was 4 years old at the time and my father kept it for another 7 years.

I have to ask my aunt, but I was either carried home by my mother who most likely took a bus. In Albany N.Y. where we lived the hospital was on a city bus route and as far as I can tell from all of the family photos, no one owned a car at that time. My uncles were in the military, and my mother and aunt never drove.

Well I have to revise this. My aunt sat down with my uncle and did some thinking and it turns out that I came home in a green 38/39 Chevy. It belonged to another aunt of mine who was wife to my uncle who was overseas at the time.

Guest dabecker65@gmail.com

Black 1938 Buick 41 w/ dual sidemounts. Dad kept it until 1952 and I tracked it down and bought it back in 1967 - had to part with it in 1984 divorce - big mistake (losing the Buick - not the divorce...)

I would guess a 46 Chevy my Dad bought new when he got out of the service. I'll try to remember to ask next time I talk to them.

My wife may have come home in a 46-47 Crosley. I know her parents had one during the pregnancy. They wondered if that was cosmically how we ended up together. They relate a story of how they got it stuck in trolly tracks during that time frame.

Guest oldmobile1

The year was 1946, and I'm thinking the car was a Teraplane, not sure of the year. I have seen pictures of me beside one though. Must be where I get my urge for weard cars. Doug