29 desoto serial numbers

Elmhurst_motor

Usually over the rear riser area over the rear axle on the frame there will be numbers stamped on the driver's side of the frame. Take a wire brush and brush the outside of the frame and look just in front of the rear axle. Your car looks like a 1929 K. The 1930 CK did not come with cowl lamps, I believe. The 1929 K cost $885.00 new and weighed 2,645 pounds.

I am not sure, but you may check the opposite side of the frame. The import cars may have the number there. My dad was an exec at Chrysler Export/Import for 37 years, but not in those early days.

Guest imported_Bill-W

The 1929 DeSoto Six was model K which was produced through to May, 1930. In the U.S., cars from 01 July 1929 were 1930 models.

The CK was introduced as a 1930 model in May, 1930, and became a 1931 model on 01 July 1930 in the U.S.

The model K series used FEDCO number plates attached to the instrument panel. They used the layout AA-NNN-A, with the following decoder -

W-P-C-H-R-Y-S-L-E-D

0-1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8-9

The letter "K" used the DeSoto model "K" FEDCO numbers had no numeric equivalent. It was just "K".

The CK went to a six digit numeric system and the serial number normally was stamped on a plate attached to the right front door hinge pillar.

On the early 1930's models, the serial number was stamped on the right side of the frame member just to the rear of the front leaf spring's rear hanger.

The engine number was stamped on the left side of the frame, either by the front spring's rear hanger or just above the rear leaf spring's front hanger.

Model K - Six : July, 1928 to May, 1930

1929 model year - July, 1928 to 30 June, 1929

Serial Numbers -

KW-000-P to KL-300-L

K0-000-1 to K7-300-7

Engine Numbers -

K-1001 to K-843240

1930 model year - 01 July, 1929 to May, 1930

Serial Numbers -

KL-300-E to KD-999-D

K7-300-8 to K8-999-9

KK-000-P to KK-143-W

KK-000-1 to KK-143-0

Engine Numbers -

K-832141 to K-113101

Model CK - Six : May, 1930 to November, 1930

1930 model year - May, 1930 to 30 June, 1930

Serial numbers -

5000001 to 5006932

Engine Numbers -

CK-1001 to CK-8443

1931 model year - 01 July, 1930 to November, 1930

5006933 to 5011672

Engine Numbers -

CK-8444 to CK-13532

Now, there is a possibility your car came from Canada, it which case :

1929 DeSoto model K :

OW-000-P to OW-635-H

O0-000-1 to O0-635-3

1930 DeSoto model K :

OW-635-R to OW-878-Y

OW-635-4 to O0-878-5

1930 DeSoto model CK :

9600001 to 9600600

Engine numbers are the same as in the U.S. for the 1929 and 1930 model K models. All CK models were sold as 1930 models.

Bill

Vancouver, BC

• 8 months later...

i have been playing with the de soto over the past week.

i found the serial number on the centre of the dash.

the number was K6 290 S

so i assume the 6 becomes a S

so is KS 290 S

as it starts with k i assume that the car is american built.

i have been repairing wheels so that the chassie is rollable.

i also took off the gearbox as the top cover was removed. and it was full of oily dirt.

there was no rust which is good.

i have been playing with the de soto over the past week.

i found the serial number on the centre of the dash.

the number was K6 290 S

so i assume the 6 becomes a S

so is KS 290 S

as it starts with k i assume that the car is american built.

i have been repairing wheels so that the chassie is rollable.

i also took off the gearbox as the top cover was removed. and it was full of oily dirt.

there was no rust which is good.

Yes, your car is an American-built 1929 DeSoto model K. As the second digit on the serial number plate is a number and not a letter, your car was stolen once back in the day of the FEDCO plates.

That was the purpose of the FEDCO plate. When a car was stolen, a new serial number plate was made up with one of the letters changed to its numeric equivalent.

The engine is not original as the prefix is "CK". It should be just "K". The model CK came after the K for the 1930 model year.

Bill

Vancouver, BC

thanks bill

thats interesting.

so does the fedco plates work as follows.

first the car is stolen and one assumes the crooks remove/modify the serial plate.

the car is the recovered and to get a roadworthy again a new plate is made, as fedco does not want to make a same plate again they replace one of the letters with a number.

was fedco a seperate company or part of chrysler?

i don't mind the news about the engine, probable means that its in better condition as two engines did the miles on the clock.

i found out why the car was shedded all those years ago. the thrust bearing had siezed, it has rotated on the bearing retainer on the imput the the gearbox. they were fused together.

not a hard repair.i will have to make a new retainer. is sort of good as there is probable no major faults in the engine. ie cracked head, broken pistons etc.

brad

Guest martylum

Hi-I'm a CK roadster owner for many years. Sounds like your K had an engine swap. The CK engine very similar to the K with a fuel pump rather than an vacuum tank. The pump mounts on the lower RHF side. I think most of the other mechanicals are much the same except the CK had the brake fluid reservoir on the master cylinder rather than a remote can on the firewall. I guess your brake remote tank must be on the RH side along with RH steering beside the vacuum tank.

Your car also came with an oil filter on the LH side of the firewall for which there is a pretty good reproduction available. You might be able to get a fuel pump for your CK engine from a vendor or E-Bay auction.

Hope the body wood is good as noone seems to be making reproduction timbers.

The brake parts can be refinished with sleeves and new pistons to bring them up to service. I beleive there is still availability on a K master cylinder kit.

Your car should have lever action shocks which can be rebuilt with new canvas strapping. The CK models had double action shocks with metal connecting arms.

I had a K model sedan in my shop for work not too long ago. If you need some detail shots i can e-mail. The finished car drove pretty nicely although it didn't corner like my CK roadster-I guess just too much topwork which makes it lean a good deal more than a roadster on cornering.

Let me know if any pictures would help. We removed a completely original interior and duplicated to redo the upholstery.

Does your K have an Australian or U. S. body? Chrysler did export knocked down bodies in this era to some other countries .

Martin Lum

Hi-I'm a CK roadster owner for many years. Sounds like your K had an engine swap. The CK engine very similar to the K with a fuel pump rather than an vacuum tank. The pump mounts on the lower RHF side. I think most of the other mechanicals are much the same except the CK had the brake fluid reservoir on the master cylinder rather than a remote can on the firewall. I guess your brake remote tank must be on the RH side along with RH steering beside the vacuum tank.

Your car also came with an oil filter on the LH side of the firewall for which there is a pretty good reproduction available. You might be able to get a fuel pump for your CK engine from a vendor or E-Bay auction.

Hope the body wood is good as noone seems to be making reproduction timbers.

The brake parts can be refinished with sleeves and new pistons to bring them up to service. I beleive there is still availability on a K master cylinder kit.

Your car should have lever action shocks which can be rebuilt with new canvas strapping. The CK models had double action shocks with metal connecting arms.

I had a K model sedan in my shop for work not too long ago. If you need some detail shots i can e-mail. The finished car drove pretty nicely although it didn't corner like my CK roadster-I guess just too much topwork which makes it lean a good deal more than a roadster on cornering.

Let me know if any pictures would help. We removed a completely original interior and duplicated to redo the upholstery.

Does your K have an Australian or U. S. body? Chrysler did export knocked down bodies in this era to some other countries .

Martin Lum

thanks martin

photo's would be really good. i'll pm my email.

the body i figure is US made, there is no local builders plates. the condition is not to bad. there is a bit of rot in the roof and around the rear window. is nothing to bad and i can fix. the doors and the floor are real solid. no rot or rust. it was the main reason i liked the car. fixing rusted doors takes for ever.

it does have lever action shockers with the canvas strap.

there is a vacuum tank on the fire wall still, also the reservior is on the firewall.

brad

• 5 months later...
Guest Desoto Brazil

Hi, I'm from Brazil and i have a 29 DeSoto, model K (Sedan de Lujo). I am with doubts about the identity of the serial number of my car. You'd know tell what year my car was manufactured? since we appreciate the collaboration of all. Serial number is KK 093P ...

post-67260-143138194769_thumb.jpg

Guest Bill-W
Hi, I'm from Brazil and i have a 29 DeSoto, model K (Sedan de Lujo). I am with doubts about the identity of the serial number of my car. You'd know tell what year my car was manufactured? since we appreciate the collaboration of all. Serial number is KK 093P ...

It is an American-built 1929 DeSoto Six, model K, in production from July, 1928 through to May, 1930. DeSotos built up to the end of production on 30 June 1929 were considered 1929 models and models built after that were 1930 models.

Chrysler products used FEDCO serial number plates from 1926 to 1930, with the following decode chart -

W-P-C-H-R-Y-S-L-E-D

0-1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8-9

There were some letters used that did not have a numerical equivalent - and K was one of them. Serial numbers for the DeSoto model K -

1929 model year - July, 1928 to 30 June, 1929

Serial Numbers -

KW-000-P to KL-300-L

K0-000-1 to K7-300-7

Engine Numbers -

K-1001 to K-843240

1930 model year - 01 July, 1929 to May, 1930

Serial Numbers -

KL-300-E to KD-999-D

K7-300-8 to K9-999-9

KK-000-P to KK-143-W

KK-000-1 to KK-143-0

As you can see, the last model K DeSotos used serial numbers with "KK" as they ran out of numbers for the "K" series. So yours, KK-093-P (KK-0931) is a very late model K, probably built around April or May of 1930. The last model K was KK-1430, so your car was the 500th from the last built.

(Canadian DeSoto model K had serial numbers from OW-000-P to OW-878-Y. The "O" is again a letter with no numeric equivalent. By the S/N, 8,785 model Ks were built in Canada - a number DeSoto would never come close to in Canada again.)

Bill

Vancouver, BC

Guest Desoto Brazil

Thanks Bill,

I'll see other identifications the car, I know who owns the platelet

metal body made by the brigs and its accompanying paragraph, and has a marking

the wooden floor, with the inscription: D.M. n º....

You could tell me how many DeSoto six-k, model: (Sedan de Lujo)

were produced?

Here in Brazil, the brand Desoto is very rare, making it difficult

finding information from it,,

Regards,

DeSoto Brazil

Thanks Bill,

I'll see other identifications the car, I know who owns the platelet

metal body made by the brigs and its accompanying paragraph, and has a marking

the wooden floor, with the inscription: D.M. n º....

You could tell me how many DeSoto six-k, model: (Sedan de Lujo)

were produced?

Here in Brazil, the brand Desoto is very rare, making it difficult

finding information from it,,

Regards,

DeSoto Brazil

My research material only says that there were over 80,000 total production of the 1929 Model K (all body styles combined). There is no breakdown of the model/body style production that I can find.

Guest Desoto Brazil

Thanks,

It's a pity there is not the definition of bodies

I found some IDs in my car,

Proceeds to curiosity:

Body number 335-977 - Briggs MFG. CO. Detroit. Mich.

Number engraved on the wood of the body: 65,933 C.A. D.M.

Engine number: 51,914

Is it possible to know how many K models still exist today?

Of the more than 80,000 cars, with collectors and those who are saved?

Here in Brazil, I know of only + / - 5 Desoto Model K.

The Desoto was an old dream of my life

My father bought it in 1991, I was only 5 years of life.

Today with 23 years of life, we managed to restore the car.

To celebrate this,

We traveled 650 miles to the DeSoto!!

Regards,

DeSoto Brazil

post-67260-143138195401_thumb.jpg

post-67260-143138195404_thumb.jpg

post-67260-143138195407_thumb.jpg

• 3 months later...

hi all,

i had a chance to do a bit of tinkering with the desoto today,

i found a builders plate for the body.

turns out the body was made in sydney by smith and waddington,

i googled them, they were a high end body builder as far as i can tell.

i had know idea that they would do chrysler cars

• 1 year later...
Guest willeys41

I just bought a 29 DeSoto Model K Delivery Panel.I bought the book ply and DeSoto story by Don Butler.It said one was seen in the Pacific N.W. in 1956 and this is it.There is a Prototype in the book and say RARE.It has 44000 mi on it.Has not been stsrted in 40yrs but has been keep dry.Is in very good condition.Has anyone seen another or know how many built or anything about them. Thanks Dave

• 2 months later...

Hi All,

I appreciate this thread on the 29 DeSoto serial numbers as I am having a very tough time identifying mine.

I will attach photos of all the numbers but the block numbers are: 82029 followed by 40829 2 with an "H" underneath.

The head has 0836

The Body Number 329-16260 Briggs MFG

Battery Storage "Willard C542"

The car is in splendid shape and was barn stored since 1959. I do have a letter from Chrysler dated Nov 15, 1963 congratulating the previous owner on getting one of the first DeSotos.

Any help is appreciated.

post-80419-143138766158_thumb.jpg

post-80419-143138766168_thumb.jpg

post-80419-143138766177_thumb.jpg

post-80419-143138766186_thumb.jpg

Hi All,

I appreciate this thread on the 29 DeSoto serial numbers as I am having a very tough time identifying mine.

I will attach photos of all the numbers but the block numbers are: 82029 followed by 40829 2 with an "H" underneath.

The head has 0836

The Body Number 329-16260 Briggs MFG

Battery Storage "Willard C542"

The car is in splendid shape and was barn stored since 1959. I do have a letter from Chrysler dated Nov 15, 1963 congratulating the previous owner on getting one of the first DeSotos.

Any help is appreciated.

Your serial number or FEDCO number would be on a decorative oval plate located on the dashboard. It has letters and numbers on it. See photo. You can see it on the top center of the dashboard through the steering wheel.

post-37352-143138766213_thumb.jpg

Interesting. I didn't realize that plaque had the numbers so I was looking behind the dash. Now that I see it (and I attached a photo) I see the numbers are "scratched".

But after magnifying the picture it looks like KE223D. Does this mean I have a 1930 Model Year?

Given the engine number I would also assume that is not original.

post-80419-143138766334_thumb.jpg

I think your serial number means 1929. Your engine number should be stamped into a raised pad on the driver's side of the engine just below the cylinder head near the front. See the raised pad on this engine just above the number one and number two cylinders?

post-37352-143138766632_thumb.jpg

Edited by keiser31 (see edit history)

Interesting. I didn't realize that plaque had the numbers so I was looking behind the dash. Now that I see it (and I attached a photo) I see the numbers are "scratched".

But after magnifying the picture it looks like KE223D. Does this mean I have a 1930 Model Year?

Given the engine number I would also assume that is not original.

Serial Number KE-223-D

Found in range KW-000-P to KD-999-D

Serial 82239 of 99999

Year 1929

Make DeSoto

Model Code K

Plant Detroit

Engine 6 cylinder 174.9 cu.in. L-head

Wheelbase 109 inches

FedCo Number KE-223-D

Found it. It is very worn down but it looks like C K93872

Attached as well.

Mmmm...looks like maybe a 1930 engine?

That "C" is on a section of the boss slightly separated from the rest. A bit like the circular little boss for that was used in later years for some sort of factory process. To quote a paragraph at the beginning of the engine section of the 1934 Plymouth Factory Service Manual:

The letters in the circular pads at either end of the engine number pad are for the use of factory inspectors only and should not be connected with the engine number.

So I'd say that engine number is K93872.

Edited by ply33 (see edit history)

Serial Number KE-223-D

Serial 82239 of 99999

Year 1929

Make DeSoto

Model Code K

Plant Detroit

Wheelbase 109 inches

FedCo Number KE-223-D

Thank you. I will go out to the shop today to look for the trailing circle on the block. When you say Serial 82239 of 99999, what does that mean? It is not the 82,239 one manufactured, is it?

Thank you. I will go out to the shop today to look for the trailing circle on the block. When you say Serial 82239 of 99999, what does that mean? It is not the 82,239 one manufactured, is it?

It means that the table entry that my "calculator" found your serial number in listed a starting serial number of KW-000-P (K0-000-1) and an ending serial number of KD-999-D (K9-999-9).

In some cases that might be the entire production run, in other cases they ran out of numbers in the sequence and started another serial number range for more cars. I'd have to pull out the original list of serial numbers I used to create that and see if there were other serial number ranges used for DeSotos with an engineering code of K to know what other serial number ranges were used.

• 6 years later...
On ‎12‎/‎18‎/‎2011 at 9:17 AM, ply33 said:

It means that the table entry that my "calculator" found your serial number in listed a starting serial number of KW-000-P (K0-000-1) and an ending serial number of KD-999-D (K9-999-9).

In some cases that might be the entire production run, in other cases they ran out of numbers in the sequence and started another serial number range for more cars. I'd have to pull out the original list of serial numbers I used to create that and see if there were other serial number ranges used for DeSotos with an engineering code of K to know what other serial number ranges were used.

On ‎12‎/‎18‎/‎2011 at 9:17 AM, ply33 said:

I have a 29 Desoto Delujo Rumble seat coupe, the serial # is K 24941, can you tell me what month it was built, I get a lot of questions from the judges out here on the west coast. I have been told that this is oldest Desoto they have ever seen. Have won over 30 shows in  my class, and one Concours d'Elegence in Chico, Ca.

2 hours ago, sirlucky said:

I have a 29 Desoto Delujo Rumble seat coupe, the serial # is K 24941, can you tell me what month it was built, I get a lot of questions from the judges out here on the west coast. I have been told that this is oldest Desoto they have ever seen. Have won over 30 shows in  my class, and one Concours d'Elegence in Chico, Ca.

My books indicate that the engineering code for the 1929 DeSoto was "K". And Chrysler typically started their engine number sequences with the engineering code for the car. For 1929 that would mean that the first engine would have been stamped with K1001. It looks to me like the number you have for your "serial" number is more likely an engine number and that number was the 23,940th (24941 - 1001) to be made.

Not surprised that your DeSoto is the oldest many have seen as the that was the first model for DeSoto.

21 minutes ago, ply33 said:

My books indicate that the engineering code for the 1929 DeSoto was "K". And Chrysler typically started their engine number sequences with the engineering code for the car. For 1929 that would mean that the first engine would have been stamped with K1001. It looks to me like the number you have for your "serial" number is more likely an engine number and that number was the 23,940th (24941 - 1001) to be made.

Not surprised that your DeSoto is the oldest many have seen as the that was the first model for DeSoto.

The fedco # starts with  KC094P, The # stamped on the engine is K60056, I left out the 0 in the fedco. My car was on the T shirts for the DeSoto convention this last year.

2 hours ago, sirlucky said:

The fedco # starts with  KC094P, The # stamped on the engine is K60056, I left out the 0 in the fedco. My car was on the T shirts for the DeSoto convention this last year.

The FedCo number, KC-094-P, is the serial number and is what Chrysler tracked the car with. Some states used that for vehicle registration.

Other states, possibly most other states, used the engine number for registration. Since you mentioned a "serial number" of K24941, I assume that is from the paperwork and that your car was registered by the engine number but that the engine was swapped out with engine K60056 at some point.

FWIW, on my slightly later Plymouth the original engine number is stamped on the driver side of the frame between the running board mounts. Your DeSoto's original engine number may also be stamped on the frame somewhere. Probably faintly stamped in a hard to reach and read place. :) 

Here is what my serial number/early VIN lookup tool returns for the FedCo number you gave:

Serial Number KC-094-P
Serial 20941 of 99999
Year 1929
Make DeSoto
Model Code K
Plant Detroit
Wheelbase 109 inches
FedCo Number KC-094-P

20 minutes ago, ply33 said:

The FedCo number, KC-094-P, is the serial number and is what Chrysler tracked the car with. Some states used that for vehicle registration.

Other states, possibly most other states, used the engine number for registration. Since you mentioned a "serial number" of K24941, I assume that is from the paperwork and that your car was registered by the engine number but that the engine was swapped out with engine K60056 at some point.

FWIW, on my slightly later Plymouth the original engine number is stamped on the driver side of the frame between the running board mounts. Your DeSoto's original engine number may also be stamped on the frame somewhere. Probably faintly stamped in a hard to reach and read place. :) 

Here is what my serial number/early VIN lookup tool returns for the FedCo number you gave:

Serial Number KC-094-P
Serial 20941 of 99999
Year 1929
Make DeSoto
Model Code K
Plant Detroit
Wheelbase 109 inches
FedCo Number KC-094-P

Thank you, I was hoping that somewhere I would find out what month and year it was made. Somewhere I found a site that listed the cars by model, month and year using the fedco #, I know that some of the 28's are registered as 29's, because some states use the year sold not the year built. Once again, thank you. I start getting her cleaned up tomorrow for the first car show next Saturday one of many shows she will be in this year. Hope we have a year like last year, 12 for 12 1st. place in her class 1900-1954 or 1928-1930

55 minutes ago, sirlucky said:

Thank you, I was hoping that somewhere I would find out what month and year it was made. Somewhere I found a site that listed the cars by model, month and year using the fedco #, I know that some of the 28's are registered as 29's, because some states use the year sold not the year built. Once again, thank you. I start getting her cleaned up tomorrow for the first car show next Saturday one of many shows she will be in this year. Hope we have a year like last year, 12 for 12 1st. place in her class 1900-1954 or 1928-1930

Here you go....looks like it was built in October, 1928. One of the first run DeSotos. Third major column, middle of the page....5ac9777d29741_Fedcochart2.thumb.jpg.9b51686e11be0e9525dcea37320a8dee.jpg

Edited by keiser31 (see edit history)

1 hour ago, keiser31 said:

Here you go....looks like it was built in October, 1928. One of the first run DeSotos. Third major column, middle of the page....5ac9777d29741_Fedcochart2.thumb.jpg.9b51686e11be0e9525dcea37320a8dee.jpg

Thank you so much, I thought it might be a 28, that makes her 90 years old in Oct. I told my kids that I wanted to live long enough to show her when she was 100. I will be 80 in June so I only have to last out another 10 years. I think I could do this.