alarm

handmedownreatta

this car has embaressed for the third time.the alarm has sounded twice when i used the key to unlock the drivers door and once when i just used the driver door handle.i quit using the remote because the owners manual said that the remote set the alarm.id love if the alarm worked but at this point id be happy to unhook the alarm and start using the remote to open the doors again.this last time i unpluged the horns.

Odd coincidence. The bad security fairy must be flying around bugging our cars. I have never seen this problem before and will be looking into it today.

I picked up an '89 and am getting it ready to give to my son. I programmed the remote and it worked fine except if I opened the passenger door after using the remote it would set off the alarm. You are supposed to be able to hit either the door unlock button or turn the key in the door but neither of these shuts off the alarm. The engine also will not start. The only way to shut it off is to remove the battery cable. The alarm also goes off if I unlock the door with the remote and then without opening the drivers door I hit the lock button on the remote again and then the alarm goes off. Again the only way to stop it is to remove the battery cable.

I did change the keyless receiver in the car and the alarm problems are still there. I am going to look further at it today and will report what I find. I may just give him the car without a remote though.

VERY strange that we both on the same day are having a weird problem I have never seen before.

Well believe or not I need to be on your list of 'bad security fairy' strikes again. I was home (luckily) when it did it to me and the only way I knew to disarm it was the battery cable. I'm thinking one of these cold days I'll get the service manual out and see if I can figure out which wire is feeding those horns and at that point I'll put a switch inline so I can shut it quickly. 1988 no remote issue

Update, but no good news.

I replace the theft deterent module and relay and no change. I suspect it is in one of the door switches but I don't know if I am going to try and fix it. If I do get into the doors I will post here.

You can disconnect the horns but the parking lights and taillights will still flash.

When I go back out I may as someone suggested leave out the theft module and see what happens. Maybe we will then be able to use the remote. Let you all know.

Jim

My 88 and 90 both act the same way. Open the door, lock the locks, close the door and it is armed. Reach in the window, unlock the door, open the door, and the alarm (horn) sounds.

Put key in door lock, turn counterclockwise (driver's side, didn't try passenger), and alarm turns off. Pushing the remote "unlock" once (90) does the same thing.

Never heard of the "turn key twice" relating to the alarm but push buton twice to unlock all doors.

I've had a similar problem w/ my 92 Riv. I'd arm the alarm w/ my remote only to have it go off (horn sounding/lights flashing) at unpredicable times w/o ever having physically touched the car. One time it went off at 3am in my garage. Since I wanted to continue to use my keyless entry remote, I ended up unpluging the theft deterrent module.

The way Padgett describes is the way it should work.

I gave up on mine and removed the theft deterent module. I am pretty sure it is one of the switches inside the door as I do sell a few of them because they break off their mounting but I am not going to get into the doors on this car.

DTerry is correct, many late 80's/early 90's GM's had a system that would unlock all doors if you turned the key in the unlock direction twice within a couple of seconds. My old 91 Deville with no RKE or alarm had this feature. I discovered it by mistake one day.

There was a special contact ring attached to the back of the lock cylinder on both front doors and an additional wire that facilitated this feature.

The phantom alarms are usually caused by bad sensor switches inside the door. Had this with my brother's old 90 Caddy Fleetwood, found the switch was good but some wiring came detached. A fairly quick fix by my recollection.

KDirk

• 5 months later...
Guest Richard D

Thank You Ronnie, I had the same problem, my alarm would not disarm from either the remote transmitter or the door keys. I read the schematic and the disarm signal was getting to the TDM from both the door key or the remote. Instead of replacing the TDM I pulled the in-line fuse and now I can lock my car. I will replace the TDM sometime soon. THANK'S TO ALL ON THIS SITE.

Richard

• 9 years later...