1965 Lower control arm bushings

pyntre

Hi everybody,

This is my first post as a member of ROA, though I have been reading this forum for a long time. I have a 65 Riv , 90K miles , and I am rebuilding the entire suspension front and rear. I have gotten to the toughest part so far , HOW DO YOU REMOVE THE OLD FRONT LOWER CONTROL ARM BUSHINGS ??? I am doing this on jackstands in my garage , I have the lower control arm out completely so I do have some room to work. Is there a puller // press that will do this job ? I know brute force and a air chisel COULD do the job but thats why I'm typing this hoping there is a delibrate way / tool to accomplish this .Anyone have any advice ?? Thanks in advance !!! TORR

Torr,

Welcome aboard! I have done these type of bushings in the past and have had great success with an air chisel, but I have also used a less destructive method, too. I usually use a long 1/4 drill bit and then drill as many holes as possible in the rubber portion of the bushing, until I am able to pop out the inner sleeve. Once that is out, I knock out the rest of the rubber portion of the bushing until all that is left is the outer sleeve in the frame. Then I take my trusty sawz-all and slice the outer sleeve, being carefull not to cut into the metal of the frame, but even if you cut a little bit, it really shouldn't matter. You can then take a punch and hammer and knock out the outer sleeve, clean up the hole in the frame and install the new bushings. There are also some universal bushing remover/installer tools out there that should work OK too.

My 2 cents,

Tim McCluskey

Hi Tim,

I was hoping you would reply to this . Sort of sounds like the same procedure I used to remove the track arm bushings. Only difference I guess is that I can't put the Frame in a vise on the workbench BUMMER !!!! I am in Stillwater Mn just down the street ! Thanks for the info and advice, it gives me the confidence to "just get at it" so to speak! I am a big fan of those one off tools that you only use once a decade just to say you have it but sometimes the flaming wrench and all mighty hammer rule! Thanks for the info , TORR

Torr,

Hope eveything is going well in Beautiful Stillwater! If you are interested, I know people who have made up remover installers using various diameters of muffler tubing, big washers and threaded rod. You're absolutely right about the "fire wrench" and a big honkin' hammer, sometimes there is just NO substitute, especially up here in the rust belt!

Take care and keep me posted on your progress!

Tim

I got the old lower bushings out.... What a very unenviable task that was!!! It would be a very hard job if all the suspension was still in place ,which mine is not. I ended up dropping the entire centerlink so there was enough room to swing a hammer. I drilled the inner rubber part of the bushing out as was suggested and when I had the inner sleeve out I ended up using a carbide bit on my die grinder to cut a groove through the outer sleeve. Just nicked the actual frame on one side , but those carbide bits cut RIGHT NOW . So I have the new bushings in the freezer hoping to help the install a bit. I'm wondering if I should put a bit of NEVER SIEZE in the frame before I install them? Only a one Bandaid job so far !!!

Torr,

I wouldn't use any type of anti-sieze, as the outer shell of the bushing is designed to be a press fit into the frame and not a pivot point. Feezing the bushings is an excellent idea and should help you drive the new bushings home. I wouldn't worry about a nick or two on the frame, there is a lot of contact area available. Hope the one band-aid incident is minor!

Take Care,

Tim