1965 Riviera Gran Sport - expensive car

Jeff_Avery

Did anyone see the auction results on page 130 in the December 2008 Automoblile magazine? A black on black 1965 Gran Sport sold at $72,600.00. Is anyone familiar with this car? Was it Elvis' car, or all we all rich now? I'd be fascinated to hear anything anyone knows...

OK Jeff: If you look up the Carpenter's web site you can preview Richard Carpenter's 65 GS (black on black). All of his cars are as perfect as one could imagine or so it seems.

Because there is a decent supply of 65 Riviera Grand Sports available to buy in the under 15K range (for decent quality) it would stand to reason that a super build on one could be at the 25K price putting lots of hypothetical cars way under 72K and looking pretty slick.

On the other hand, perhaps this buyer just inherited lots of dough and just wanted one because they saw it and it was available immediately.

Mine is not for sale and probably still worth only 5k.

And, oh, is your 63 Lesabre convert a gold 4-speed with cornering lights, and buckets? Mitch

Remember, there had to be two people with plenty of dough, this was an auction. And either way, I am not aware of any public sale of a 65 GS where the price went above $45,000. The 63 LeSabre is White with red buckets and Dynaflow. I bought it in 1970 for $550.00 at the tender age of 17. I have owned it ever since. Jeff