possible to remove/install water distribution tube without remov

Guest n1gzd

Is it possible to remove/install the water distribution tube without removing the grill? I have of course removed the radiator.

By the way, I am having some trouble removing the water pump. Two studs and one bolt are removed. I just seems to be hung up on the bottom stud. Shall I just try harder or is there something that I did not know about?

Thanks,

Rebecca

Guest Plymouthy

try harder..measure your free room inside the engine compartment in a straight line from the block to first item of interference..measure the block...this will tell you the amount of room needed...your block is 23 inches..the tube is just a tad less in length..have no experience on the 36 model per say..on the flathead engine, technique is all the same...are you doing your own work..or are you sourcing info for the wrench at hand?

Since I have never removed the water distribution tube I don't know how long it is. If it is as long as the block then it is obvious how to tell if there is room. That is all I needed to know. Good grief.

Rebecca

Guest Plymouthy

Rebecca, with all due respect to you and your project, if it was that obvious then why did you ask the question..I could understand if you had posted that you only have 15 inches of clearance in front of my block and the grill then the obvious answer would have been NO..but without you informing the reader on the forum what room you have to work with..then the answer given to you was one of complete honestly and best approach to determine the feasibility. The more information you can provide in relating a question the better the reader is to tailor the answer to your specific needs..ask a general question and the answer will be less specific..you could do more to help yourself when inquiring..

I guess the question that I should have asked is: how long is the water distribution tube? That would have told me everthing that need to know. Of course, now that I have seen a nice picture of one on another board I also know what it looks like (including the length of it and a nice description of the fact that you can actually tilt it down a little when you are pulling it out such that it takes a little less room).

Thanks.

Rebecca

Guest Plymouthy

Yessam..had I been at home I could have measured one as I have two of these in captivity..I knew they are about the length of the engine thus the rounded figure I quoted of 23 inches..it is good you got to see a picture of one..they are a bit funky for sure. The book does cover the removal and replacement but then again, even they do not give the length. And as some people can tell you..this can be a walk in the park or it can be a long drawn out process removing the old tube...some have had thiers come out in sections due to age and rust..hope yours will be one of the easier one.

thanks again. I will start by just inspecting it and seeing if it looks badly rusted and if it moves when I pull on it.

Hopefully this weekend I can get to this. My front engine mount project has to come first.

Rebecca

Rebecca you will have to at least remove the grill , i have always found it easier to remove the whole front , that is grill and surround in one piece .as for some previous comments (i don't want to sound to negative )i have yet to have one come out easily , over the years i have removed or helped remove quite a few of them . To remove the one in my 54 i had to take the block to a engine reconditioner, even he had problems and ended up having to drill a hole in the rear of the block and punch most of what was left out that way , then plate the hole . best of luck and i hope yours proves to be an easy one

• 2 weeks later...
Guest 1953 C60-2

I removed the water distribution tube on my 53 Windsor with a device that my father made, probably back in the 1930's. He took a piece of steel approx. 1" wide and about six inches longer than the engine block. On one end he fashioned a hook and on the other end he began drilling holds down the length of the piece of steel. After removing the water pump, he ran the piece of steel down the water distribution tube and grabbed one of the holes in the tube with the hook. He then ran a bolt through the piece of steel as close to the engine block as possible. He then used a ball joint seperator tool as a pry bar by placing it over the piece of steel. As he pressed, and sometimes hammered on the ball joint tool, the

water distribution tool began to come out. He would ten reposition the bolt in the next hole and reposition the ball joint tool and repeat the process. He was a Chrysler Plymouth mechanic for 40 years. I used the tool and the procedure he described and pulled my water distribution tube out with no problem. The shop manual suggests a welding rod with a hook formed on one end the the rod wrapped around a piece of 1" wood dowel on the other to pull with. Good luck. If I knew how I would post a drawing of this tool.

This is with the block out of the car and the engine on end. Everything drained and dry. Pour oil down the distrbutor tube hole and let it soak for a few days. That always helped it slide out easier. Also rigging up a tool that fit on the end of a slide hammer was another old time trick so that you were able to bang the thing out.

There were at one time brass replacements for the original cheap steel junk from the factory but those are long gone. Those would have outlasted the block and 1 million miles of any kind of water in there.

• 3 weeks later...

while the radiator was out and I had the water pump off I gave the water distribution tube a little tug and it came out easily. With the grill on I was able to pull it out about 3/4 of the way. It looked like it was in such good condition that I just decide to push it back in and leave it.

Rebecca

• 2 months later...
  • 3 years later...
Guest Oldcartech

New Old Stock Dorman water distribution tubes

I have new old stock water distribution tubes. I have Metal and Brass in most instances. If you’re motor needs one please send an email to Oldcartech@gmail.com

I will need the year, make, Mod, & eng 6 or 8 cylinders.

I cannot stress enough just how important it is for your motor to distribute water properly. It is absolutely a must that water is distributed around each cylinder as required by the motor manufacturer.

• 6 years later...

Hi Chrysler owners: 

I am having a lot problems trying  to remove the distribution tube from my 1949 Chrysler New Yorker straight 8 motor. I have by now chewed the end of the tube somewhat. I have used vise grips and slide hammer, used a can of knock it lose, WD 40,  24" scale driven in on each side. I have owed the car from 72 and having it in storage all most that time until now

I have all  completed the brakes except honing the master cylinder pin. 

Thnks for any help

I have used a very heavy wire with a hook bent on the end to fish the tubes out. They are full of holes and hopefully, the hook will catch on a good, solid piece.

On 10/15/2008 at 9:40 PM, n1gzd said:

I guess the question that I should have asked is: how long is the water distribution tube? That would have told me everthing that need to know. Of course, now that I have seen a nice picture of one on another board I also know what it looks like (including the length of it and a nice description of the fact that you can actually tilt it down a little when you are pulling it out such that it takes a little less room).

Thanks.

Rebecca

I have no comment on this,,,,, just trying to lighten the mode here,,,,, ,

• 3 weeks later...

Guess what I was able to pull the tube, I was able use the slide hammer and grips and this time I back banged the vise grips and it started to move and after maybe 45 min.,  out it came. not very good but I was able to pull it all.  

I have gone e bay  and ck the price of a new tube for a straight 8 motor --YIP's--  almost  $400. Well I'm going to see if I can find a sheet metal shop to fabricate one for me. Unless someone can make ME a deal on a "new one".  Looks like I am going have to remove the motor and have it cooked also, I have had the car in storage since 1972. in storage.  DANG the mice, not a lot of damage mainly the under side of the seat's

Also I broke the temp Gage tube at the block, is there anyone that can repair it, it smelt like it had a fluid in it?.

Thanks for any help