1965 Riv Upholstery

Guest Mohogs

Hey Guys,

I am doing a full restoration on my 65. Just finished tearing out all the interior and carpet. Was wondering what to use to insulate the floor. I have already used sound deadening material on my doors and trunk do help with better sound quality for my stereo, but the material is heavy. Does anyone know what type of material that would optimize sound quality and eliminate road noise along with properly insulating the car?

Any suggestions would be helpful.

Thanks.

John.

1965 Riv Custom

Guest musclecarfan65

hi john.

i have used light water- and rotresistant black self adhesive 1sqm mats made out of a special rubber foam. thickness is 3mm and they are cheaper than dynamat ... unfortunately they were made by a local manufacturer here in wuppertal. normally they are being used in the industry.

Check out Lizardskin if you dont want to use Dynamat.

Its an insulator and sound deadener. Then over that I found some insulation in the building supply isle at Lowes. It is like a reflective bubblewrap that is made for going between roof rafters. I put that on and it makes tha carpet feel real soft and nice. Its cheap and light. 1 roll will easily do your whole car.

Guest simplyconnected

Bill, would you really use aluminized bubble wrap on your floor? What about the air cells popping? Wouldn't it go flat after two years? That Home Depot stuff is made for inside studs, never to be touched.

All cars get wet inside at times, be it from snow or a window left open. 1/4"-3/16" loosely woven material that breathes but doesn't absorb (wick; don't use cotton or jute), should be the best. Avoid waterproof materials that do a good job of trapping water underneath, causing floor pan rot.

I'm looking for something, too. Haven't quite found it yet, but I will. I'm thinking something on the lines of thin indoor-outdoor carpeting. It will be covered by a nice nylon carpet (with floor mats).