Voltage regulator 6 volt-HELP

Guest 50silverstreak

Guest 50silverstreak

HELP! I have 50 pontiac Chieftain-6 and I am having problems with my voltage regulators going bad, inconsistantly charging or not working at all. Is there any advice to common problems or tips for trouble shooting such as improper ground, generator symptoms or ways to test what is causing the problem.

I am currently on my 3rd voltage regulator and it works for a while then seems to loose its polarity. sometimes I can reset the polarity with a jump wire from the BAT to ARM. Sometimes this does nothing at all then when driving it may start charging again inconsistantly. I have ran a ground wire to the body. Any answers???

• 2 weeks later...

I too am having issues, since we jumped across the starter relay to try to get my '38 Buick to crank. Ever since, the dash ammeter shows charge initially, then it begins to "bounce" from + to -. At certain generator speeds, it will just stay at discharge, typically, when you go back to an idle, it will again charge.

I have tried two or three different regulators with the same result. Granted, they were all used, and may all have the same issue. I am getting ready to buy a brand new one.

You may want to pull your generator, disassemble, and check the field winding resistance, also make sure you don't have continuity to ground. (You have to disassemble to do this, or at least pull your brushes.) While disassembled, lightly clean the comm with sandpaper (like 600 grit wet/dry, use it dry). Be sure your brushes and all connections look good. Also, the armature should have no visible issues, like "thrown" windings. A growler is the only way to really check the armature, however.

Good luck.

I also had problems with my 37 Pontiac regulator and generator. I had Bob Jeffers of Wilton Auto Electric in New Hampshire convert my regulator to solid state. He uses the stock housing for the regulator so you cannot see any modifications. I have had no other troubles. He is thorough and knowledgeable.

Bob Jeffers

bobj50@comcast.net

Wilton Auto Electric, LLC

10 Stoney Brook Dr

Wilton, NH 03086

• 2 weeks later...

Best way to go. I did that 240,000 miles ago and have never regretted it. Now I don't ahve to worry about driving at night and draining the battery. I can also run two or three inverters for 12 volt acessories.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
Guest kencary
Best way to go. I did that 240,000 miles ago and have never regretted it. Now I don't ahve to worry about driving at night and draining the battery. I can also run two or three inverters for 12 volt acessories.

What type of 6 to 12V inverters are you using? What wattage and how much did you pay for them.

All of the new ones that I see on the internet are quite pricey.

Ken

• 11 years later...
On 11/2/2008 at 10:50 AM, 50silverstreak said:

I solved the problem by intalling a 6-volt alernator!! Life is much better.

Where did you get your 6v alternator.

I have a 1950 Pontiac giving me fits with the generator/regulator.

Brian