Post War Car is now a CCCA Classic......

edinmass

Dave:

The 1934 LaSalle was rejected by the classification committee when I was in the club. CCCA passed over the 80 series Buicks, even though they are essentially the same as the "1940 Limited 80" which is a Classic.

Other borderline classics might be all of the Lincoln Zephyrs, all Chrysler Imperials, and all previously excluded Cadillacs. I never had much problem with 6 cylinder Auburns either. Packard 120? Sure, it's a relatively cheap production car but fine and unusual these days.

Based on past history, any member proposing to include these series would be wasting their time. I think most of these cars have been proposed and rejected before.

I know that none of these cars are comparable to the big classics like senior Packard 12's, Pierce Arrows or Cad 16's. But they compare fairly well with the entry level end of the spectrum that has populated the CCCA list for years.

Real post war classics? Wouldn't that be fun!

I can't tell CCCA how to run its classification committee. I am only saying how the direction the club was going led me to not renew my membership. Who knows, maybe many other members joined for the same reasons I left.

Merry Christmas!

• 2 weeks later...

How the demographics have changed. The CCCA was founded by and originally comprised largely of college educated professionals with a sense of humor who shared an interest in automobiles from a clearly defined classic era, 1925 through 1942, with postwar examples allowed so long as they were carryovers from the prewar era.

Now we have people shouting "Wake up" and branding those with an interest in CCCA Classics "geezers," even as they wish to join. This is tantamount to urging the Shakespeare festival to include the work of modern playwrights, or a classical music station to play rock, country or hip hop.

Similarly, there already exist wonderful organizations for the enjoyment of Lincoln Zephyrs, junior Packards, 1934-40 LaSalles, as well as postwar Chrysler Town & Countries, Dual Ghias, Cadillac Eldorados, Bentley Continentals, et al: the AACA, the Contemporary Historical Vehical Association, and the Milestone Car Society, among others.

Why the interest in glomming onto the word "classic?" It won't make your already interesting old car worth anymore. In fact, there are any number of Fords worth vastly more than many CCCA Classics.

There are clubs for every car already, without diluting the concept of a CCCA Classic.

If you want to enjoy Edward Albee or Susan Sontag theater, you don't come to a Shakespeare festival. If you want to listen to jazz, folk or rock, you don't tune in a classical station. If you're a WWII buff, you don't curse Civil War reenacters for not allowing your Jeep on their field.

Why is the above so difficult for so many people to grasp?

You nailed it, Su8overdrive.

But hey, if a 1941 T&C with a six-banger that sold for essentially the same as a Lincoln-Zephyr can get in, I want in too! wink.gif

(Just kidding -- I was at the Gilmore Museum a couple years ago when the CCCA hosted the Lincoln-Zephyr Owner's Club, and as much as I love my coupe, it is simply not of the same style or mindset as the Full Classics.)