1929 Chevrolet transmission info

pitman

I have a 4 dr. sedan (29 chevy) that needs some transmission parts replaced. MY TRANNY is stamped 590391. I have located a possible DONOR TRANNY(in another state-of course) and the owner says it is stamped 590281. I wish to fix MY TRANNY--does anyone have any info as to whether or not the INTERNAL PARTS AND GEARS would be the same in his transmission as in MINE??? I do not own an interchange book or parts book to locate the info from.

Any help will be much appreciated.

PITMAN

• 3 years later...
Guest Adlorin
I have a 4 dr. sedan (29 chevy) that needs some transmission parts replaced. MY TRANNY is stamped 590391. I have located a possible DONOR TRANNY(in another state-of course) and the owner says it is stamped 590281. I wish to fix MY TRANNY--does anyone have any info as to whether or not the INTERNAL PARTS AND GEARS would be the same in his transmission as in MINE??? I do not own an interchange book or parts book to locate the info from.

Any help will be much appreciated.

PITMAN

Heya Pitman! I realize that this thread is four years old, and you've already tackled the problem at hand; however, I thought that I'd provide some additional information for anyone else querying ol' chevy transmission numbers.

The number you stated : 590391 , is from the housing itself. The number that the fellow gave you : 590281 , is from the shifter plate. Both numbers are correct for this particular unit, as they were for the individual parts and were both mated to one another from the factory.

I hope that helps someone else out in the future. :)

• 4 years later...
Guest doug1843

I realize this is a very old discussion and chances are my question won't be seen, but here goes...I just dragged home a transmission bellhousing assembly with pedals attached to the crossmember..transmission main case # is 590391 as in 29 chevy, but top cover shifter cover number is 526238, unlike the info provided by Adlorin...also there is no bowtie on the main case and the only other casting characrers are an "F5" in themain case. Thanks in advance for any help.